• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tanzarelli v Cap One... £ + default **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You have to use an N1 for this type of claim - MCOL is for 'money-only' claims.

Do not separate the issues either as you have more likelihood of getting the default removed if it is part of the same claim for a refund because

(a) if they wish to settle out of court they have to meet all of your demands

(b) if they want to contest the default then they will also have to contest the charges

Because of this, you would be advised NOT to accept anything in relation to a refund if the default is not included.

I am presuming that, at the date the default was issued, the level of charges were at least close to the default value?

PoC should be something like this....................

1. The Claimant [has] [had] an account 1 ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around 2 [and closed on or around 2]

2. During the period in which the Account [has been] [was] operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £ 3 and any interest charged thereon;

b) the removal of any prejudicial information which the Defendant bank may have passed to third parties in relation to the Account and in particular the removal of the Default Notice registered with any credit reference agency which was notified to the Claimant on or around [date], since this was caused solely by the level of disproportionate penalty charges. The Claimant’s request is made under the Data Protection Act 1998, section 14, which gives the power to the Court to order the removal of inaccurate personal data.

c) Court costs;

d) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act as set out on the attached list of charges or at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

……………………………………………………………………………………………….……………………………….……

NOTES ON ABOVE - Not to be included in the Particulars of claim

1. Enter account number

2.Enter date(s) of account opening and, if necessary, account closure.

3. Enter sum for charges total

Section 1 - “[has] [had] an account” - remove the unwanted option

Section 2 - “the Account [has been] [was] operating” - remove unwanted option

Section 5 - [date] Enter date that you were made aware of the default notice.

• Haha 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

happyh - I'm not sure what website you are referring to and to be honest I don't want to know.

If the default has been caused by unlawful penalty charges then the request for a removal should go with the claim for a refund. Any company that says it can get a default removed from your files would charge you a fee and not actually deliver the goods - they would be looking at ways in which to play with rules and regulations just in case something had been missed (like notification of the default).

If a default has been fairly placed on a credit file, then no company will be able to remove it for you.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If you wish to reply in public, then perhaps you can also reply to the other points raised in my PRIVATE message to you - specifically to avoid having to become involved in some kind of public slanging match.

You have been advising users to claim for charges over £12.

You have been advising users to claim section 69 interest from the date of the OFT ruling rather than the date of the charge being imposed.

You have been advising members NEVER to accept partial payment offers.

With the above in mind, I think it was perfectly reasonable of me to assume that you were directing people to a site that they did not need - you could, of course, have simply replied to my PM and let me know the website was simply a person's story.

I have had to moderate numerous posts of your this evening and I make no apology for attempting to protect other users from misleading information that could potentially affect their claim.

If you wish to contact me about these issues, please do so, otherwise I would suggest several days in the FAQ section might just cure the problem.

Please don't use this thread to continue this conversation - it is simply hijacking an otherwise useful discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

With reference to them trying to pay you off........

As you have suggested, they might believe that offering you the money part will be enough to drop the issue. They can pay money directly into your account, but they can't force cash into your hand. If they send a cheque, simply reply stating that you don't accept it until the default is removed.

If the case proceeds to court on that basis, you argue to the Judge that the case is not settled although they have made a partial offer which you have rejected.

Once in court, you argue that it was a deliberate ploy to avoid the issue of the unlawfulness. You need to show that you were not lawfully indebted to CapOne because of these charges, so accepting the money may have compromised your case etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading at the mo.......... will respond shortly

Your name

Street

Town

City

Postcode etc

Angela Wilson

Executive Office

Capital One Bank (Europe) plc

PO Box 5281

Nottingham

NG2 3HX

19th January 2007

Re: County Court Claim number ********

Dear Ms Wilson

I write in response to you ‘settlement offer’ letter dated 16th January 2007 and acknowledge receipt of this.

I reiterate that my claim is in 2 parts and they are intrinsically linked.

I thank you for your attempted settlement, but since you are unwilling to see the correlation between the unlawful charges imposed on my account and the subsequent default notice, I must inform you that I do not agree to the settlement offered and my claim will continue through the courts.

I am confident of my position and believe that I will be able to show a Judge that I was never lawfully indebted to you by the amount that is shown on the default register, or at all.

At the time of the default notice, you had imposed £802.00 in unlawful penalties. By offsetting this amount against the actual balance of the account, my financial position would have been a positive balance of £253.78 – thus the information passed to Credit Reference Agencies was inaccurate.

In your settlement offer letter, you refer to the position of the account and state “Your account defaulted with a balance that did include fees…”

With this in mind, it is clear that you understand the basis of my argument. Whilst you are attempting to persuade me that those charges were not unlawful, I would remind you that I am fully convinced that they are. It is a County Court Judge that you will need to convince otherwise.

Clearly I have no power to stop you from crediting my account, but I wish to make it perfectly clear to you that your actions should not be interpreted as an agreement on my part. If I receive any monies directly from your organisation in relation to this settlement offer then they will be returned immediately.

Should you wish to review your position with regard to removing the default from my credit files then I would be more than happy to enter into further discussion with you in the hope that you might avoid wasting the court’s valuable time.

I trust that this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

[signature]

[Print name]

• Haha 1

Please review figures shown.... I think they are correct based on the level of charges v the amount that their settlement letter states you owed to avoid the default notice.

Your PM stated the default value as only £91, so I'm not sure how these fugues differ so much.

Maybe it's just late! :-)

Your name

Street

Town

City

Postcode etc

Angela Wilson

Executive Office

Capital One Bank (Europe) plc

PO Box 5281

Nottingham

NG2 3HX

19th January 2007

Re: County Court Claim number ********

Dear Ms Wilson

I write in response to you ‘settlement offer’ letter dated 16th January 2007 and acknowledge receipt of this.

I reiterate that my claim is in 2 parts and they are intrinsically linked.

I thank you for your attempted settlement, but since you are unwilling to see the correlation between the unlawful charges imposed on my account and the subsequent default notice, I must inform you that I do not agree to the settlement offered and my claim will continue through the courts.

I am confident of my position and believe that I will be able to show a Judge that I was never lawfully indebted to you by the amount that is shown on the default register, or at all.

At the time of the default notice, you had imposed £802.00 in unlawful penalties. By offsetting this amount against the actual balance of the account, my financial position would have been a only £98.00 – thus the information passed to Credit Reference Agencies was inaccurate.

In your settlement offer letter, you refer to the position of the account and state “Your account defaulted with a balance that did include fees…” With this in mind, it is clear that you understand the basis of my argument. Whilst you are attempting to persuade me that those charges were not unlawful, I would remind you that I am fully convinced that they are. It is a County Court Judge that you will need to convince otherwise.

Clearly I have no power to stop you from crediting my account, but I wish to make it perfectly clear to you that your actions should not be interpreted as an agreement on my part. If I receive any monies directly from your organisation in relation to this settlement offer then they will be returned immediately.

Should you wish to review your position with regard to removing the default from my credit files then I would be more than happy to enter into further discussion with you in the hope that you might avoid wasting the court’s valuable time.

I should also clarify that you have failed to include the daily rate of interest accruing since the date of claim which is £0.16p per day.

I trust that this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

[signature]

[Print name]

I don't think you need to let the court know just yet - there should be an opportunity to let the Judge know the score at a later point.

I have made a small amend in red above, I think this should be deleted. The remainder seems fine to me...

• Haha 1

... are Capital One unusual in their stubborn resistance to removing the default?

No, all organisation will likely fight this kind of claim. If you are asking for a default removal as part of the claim for charges refund, you are quite likely to have a day in court - unlike 'simple' bank charge only claims.

There is far more at stake for banks if a ruling is made against them on this issue, not least the potential for damages. You have to be aware of the amount of work required in studying the issues surrounding these claims and putting together your evidence etc.

You might wish to see an unhappy ending to one of these claims, in the hope that you can learn from it... See the link to my Halifax claim in my signature.

Just back online tonight so I missed your request for me to look... Looks OK, although I would have simply put "I refer to my letter of XXXX" and would have ripped the cheque in two...

Also, don't bother with recorded delivery, it will likely not be signed for and will leave you thinking it might not have arrived. Just get a free certificate of posting from any post office - that's all the court needs.

Just a quick recap from above, the cheque issue is to ensure they don't return it to you, although if they take it as being aggressive then all the better in my book. :-)

I'm not sure if there is anything for use in the scenario you've just described - the DPA should suffice for the removal of incorrect information and that would be gained from showing a Judge that the charges were UNLAWFUL - not illegal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excellent news Tanz - CONGRATULATIONS!!

In the middle of all of this, don't forget to complete the SURVEY

I have also moved your Litigation details to CONCLUDED!