• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Making a new Will - thinking through options available.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First question is, are you thinking of making only minor changes to the Will - which you can do by adding a Codicil - or something more substantial which will need a completely new Will? As you refer to "rethinking our properties' I'm guessing a new Will is needed.

A solicitor is likely to cost more than DIY Wills when you make the Will. Only you know whether the cost would be significant sum to you or something worth paying to get good professional advice. But if the Will is not properly drafted or the tax implications (for example) haven't been understood that could cost a lot to sort out after you have gone. And if a solicitor does get it wrong you can sue them for negligence. If you go DIY there's no-one to sue. It also depends how complex you are going to make your affairs when you 'rethink our properties'. If it involves creating a Trust don't even think about doing it without a solicitor.

Personally I have used a solicitor every time I have written or changed my Will, but that's just my preference. Many people write simple Wills using templates from Age UK etc with no problems if their financial affairs are straightforward.

I've seen the ads by charities for Will writing but have no personal experience. I'm sure what they hope is that you will be so grateful for their free service that you bequeath something to them in your Will.

I've been Executor 4 times and it isn't difficult unless you have complex finances such as  a Trust.. I have no professional background and no training in being an Executor, just researched it online. There's plenty of professionally written advice available - I bought one of those  'Executor packs' written by a solicitor which had specimens of the forms, step by step instructions etc. Your son is in his 30s/40s  and you say he is capable so it sounds like he could be your Executor. But what I think is irrelevant - do you have confidence he could do it?

As Executor your son can always see a solicitor for advice at any time. That could be for limited advice on a specific issue only - eg a beneficiary who can't be found - or  he could instruct a solicitor to do the whole thing for him. That's using the solicitor to act for the Executor, which is different to what you have now, which is the solicitor being the Executor. Solicitor's costs would come out of your Estate. BTW Executors generally cannot be paid to be the Executor (expenses reimbursement only) but a firm of solicitors is the exception. They can be (and always are) paid for being the Executor.

If you are self isolating because of corona virus you could still get the process of drafting a new Will started with the solicitor by email. 

Edited by Ethel Street
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Primrose13 said:

BUT - seriously though I saw it happen with an Uncle years ago - terrible for his adult children and they lost the belongings that belong to their mother who was killed in a RTA.   So..... how would you write something like that in a Will e.g. if my other half remarries or takes a partner they will not inherit MY share or personal effects?

3. So if I write down our wishes as to how our 'estate' should be divided (son will have land) and contents shared out - if we both die - is this something that could be attached to the Will?   

Note: I thought we could say between them they decided what happens to our house i.e. sell or live in it.  The value of the land (without Planning Permission)  The value of our house then is compared to the value of the land.  The house will be more and the difference divided.  Is that too simple????

I can't tell you the answer to that but they are excellent examples of why you need a solicitor to draft your Will!

"Mirror Wills"  or "Mirror Image Wills" are as you say, your and your husband's Will are more or less identical. Typically that whichever of you dies first leaves everything to the other. You save money doing 'mirror image' Wills, effectively a 'two for one' price from solicitors.  But doing them mirror image just to save money is missing the point - it has to be what you both want to happen after you die.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/content/101046

https://www.birdandco.co.uk/site/blog/bird-blog/what-are-mirror-wills-and-are-they-a-good-idea

Edited by Ethel Street

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, hello12345 said:

I found out, I think its law they pass on all the wills to another solicitor. There's a online site that tells you where they have been passed onto if you type in the original solicitor business name and address

Is this the site you are thinking of, the National Will Register?  https://www.nationalwillregister.co.uk   Although I don't think the OP in this thread has a 'missing Will' problem. She knows where the Will is but wants to change it.