• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CEL PCN Claimform - Tenerife Buildings, Station Road, South Gosforth, Newcastle NE3 1QD *** Claim Discontinued***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

1 hour ago, laluna88 said:

Thank you for your patience with me! My husband is just wanting to pay this now as he doesn't fancy ending up in Court but you guys are keeping me going! 🙂

I've been to civil court.  It's no more intimidating than a job interview.  You just sit at a table with a well-dressed person (the judge) and give your side of the story.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well, sort of, they don't really want to do court because they're likely to lose.

However, what a bunch of con artists.  How has £100 suddenly become £267?  'Cos they've added on a load of fictitious made-up charges, that's why.

As you actually owe them £00.00 go to court and smash them.

Though I suppose, just for once, you could offer them £0.05 as a settlement 🙃

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 months later...

Your wife is damn right to want to fight these fleecers - kudos to her!  Hope the pregnancy goes well BTW.

CEL are one of the worst and most dishonest PPCs.  Their MO is to start court action (although they have no intention of carrying it through) in order to intimidate motorists in the hope that lots will be terrified of the idea of court and will cough up.  However, when a defendant files a decent WS they invariably discontinue the case and crawl back under their stone.  It's a disgraceful abuse of the court system but good news for you if you get the WS right.  Of course there's no guarantee they will give up, but that's how it generally goes.

I've had a hunt for a good WS in a CEL case, but haven't had much joy.  However, have a look at the WS in post 229  

Huge chunks of this will be inapplicable, but also huge chunks will be useful (especially the bit about them making up extra charges) so at least it's a start.

Edited by FTMDave
Typo
  • Like 1

As you have till Friday, there is time for people who are experts in these cases to pop in and answer your questions, so you can fine tune your WS.

Regarding your point (2), yes, lack of planning permission is illegal (not unlawful) and therefore a contract can't be formed.  This is covered in point 21 of the WS above.  If you substitute your wife's evidence in that paragraph for that OP's evidence, that is one part covered.

Regarding (3), yes, these con artists make up additional charges that have no basis in law.  Covered by points 35-42 in above WS.

Yes, lay it on thick that you were not the driver on the day and so they are suing the wrong person.  Any evidence you have would be excellent.  You need to show why their pants paperwork doesn't establish keeper liability under the POFA.  There is some stuff about the POFA again in above WS but I don't know how much is applicable to you. 

• Like 1

I'm knackered too but promise to have a proper look tomorrow, as I'm sure others will.

A few quick things.

In the first part you immediately point out that they are suing the wrong person, but then you have a second section SIGNAGE and then a third part on KEEPER LIABILITY/POFA.  It seems to me that the first & third parts are essentially the same, you should stick them together.  Make the paragraph "The only way the Claimant has a legal right to pursue the registered keeper is ..." paragraph 6 of the introduction.  

What time did the fleecers ticket your wife?  I'm just thinking they could claim you parked and then walked the short distance to work.  Make sure your evidence shows you were already at work at that time and couldn't have been the driver. 

In CONTRACT, para 4, you've left in "VCS" from ABM's WS.

The entire last section "GOVERNMENT LEGISLATION 2019/DATA PROTECTION" needs to go.  You're telling the court that the industry is a disgrace, which of course is true, but that's irrelevant to the facts of your case.

Have CEL sent you their WS yet?

All just IMO of course, others may disagree.

BTW, apologies if I seem hyper-critical.  It's just the nature of the beast that the dodgy bits get commented on, not the rest.  What you've prepared is superb overall.  Your wife will be proud of you.  As you should be of her for refusing to give in to the fleecers! 

Edited by FTMDave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I've had a good read through your final draft.  It looks damn good to me and you should be feeling very confident - you've successfully attacked CEL's claim on multiple fronts.

I'm afraid the POFA is not one of my strong points and maybe you should wait for Ericsbrother to pop in and okay that part.  Nothing will change if you send it off one day late tomorrow morning.  As dx says, you're a LiP and the court will be flexible with you.  Also CEL who are supposedly experts in the field (ho! ho!) still haven't managed to get off their dishonest backsides and do their WS.

BTW, have you looked up who the landowner is?  "Medburn Estates" are shown on the bit of bog paper CEL sent, but I bet they're some sort of property agent and not the landowner.  If you still have time, look into this.

Also, in post 84, dx suggested looking at the original planning permission as it is highly unlikely the council agreed to a 20-minute limit.  Did you look into this?

Your WS is still excellent, just thinking of adding even more ammo if time permits.   

• 2 months later...

Well done on your victory!  👏

Just to be absolutely sure, give the court a ring to check the case has been discontinued.  CEL are well known for using every dirty trick possible.