• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

British Gas Warrant to fit prepayment meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't know if you are aware but the most likely way this will play out is that a prepayment meter will be fitted; you say they already have a warrant to access your home to do that. Any outstanding debt will be set on the meter, ie it will claim so much a week for the debt in addition to your consumption. The warrant fee will most likely also be added to the debt - that will be in three figures -  and so will any additional charges incurred whilst fitting the meter -  dog handler, locksmith, etc.

You would not be allowed to change supplier with a debt on the account, I'm not sure at what level of debt that cuts in at these days, ten years ago it was £10 (!!)

I used to work in this area so don't shoot the messenger...

Unless you can pay this off in a lump sum the best thing for you to do now is to accept the prepayment meter.  It will cost you more in the long run if you do not.

BTW in my time in dealing with this - office end - meter fitters were faced with bricked up doors, snake cage built around meter, vicious dogs,  and the occasional dead body. Also a number of abandoned animals were rescued.

My best memory of this not very pleasant job was speaking to someone who had just fitted a meter in an abandoned property and being told he was leaving just as soon as he found something to put the abandoned goldfish in, on it's way to his tank at home...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Executing a warrant is not breaking in, that is why they get a warrant of access, and if necessary they can call upon the police to assist.

If at the end of the day for whatever reason they cannot access your property to fit a prepayment meter, they will  simply disconnect your supply outside the property. From the best of my recollections there is a substantial charge  to get the power reconnected if that happens in addition to clearing the debt..

As others have suggested the most practical solution is to contact the supplier and agree to have the prepayment meter fitted. 

There really is nowhere else to go which will not exacerbate your situation further.

Are you sure you have received visits from debt collectors in relation to this account because as it stands it is an outstanding balance not a 'debt' and there would be no reason for it to be passed to debt collectors whilst it is still a live account.

To reiterate myself and others you will not be allowed to change suppliers while there is an outstanding balance on your account so this is not an option you have. Another supplier would view you as a bad risk and refuse to take you on even if your current supplier was prepared to let you go.  Energy companies are obliged to share this sort of information with each other.

I can only suggest you give them an up to date meter read so the balance is accurate and then agree to a pre payment meter being fitted. This is you best plan of action and will happen anyway if you do nothing, however without your agreement there will be additional charges which will run into hundreds and which will be added to the outstanding balance.

Regarding the  actual warrant, sad to say these are not addressed individually, unless challenged, they are waved through in blocks of tens or even hundreds by the courts.

If you turned up to the court and challenged it. it *might* be delayed but essentially it would be raised again straight away and this time with all the information to hand to push it through.

I'm not sure if this would add further costs.

If you have a dog, they might well need to employ a dog handler.  If you have tropical fish it would not be an immediate problem because they put a small credit on the meter when they fit it. 

Also a rather personal question admittedly but I don't think it has been asked.

Do you have any money at all, savings, etc, I don't want figures just a better idea of your position.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks