• Tweets

• good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • The clock is ticking for savings providers. They now have just a few weeks left to get their act together and start offering loyal customers a good deal.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CWD - PAP Letter re old UAE debt now claim form

Hornsey62
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1344 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

" They also may be able to take action using the UK courts. To do this they would usually need to get a court judgement (the equivalent of the CCJ/decree) in UAE first, then start a second claim in the UK and get a judgement before they can enforce the debt."

We have already covered that way back in this thread...that was always my understanding...but the courts do not seem to agree now

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

What about the District Judge ...was it at Liverpool County Court:classic_biggrin:  Shes is going to be trying the claim.

Seriously though...if you could put down a brief explanation as to why this agreement ended and your reasons for leaving and any disputes/penalties/fees.....lets see if we can draft a holding defence that will put the claimant to inconvenience and see if they know UAE Law

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

31 minutes ago, SquaddyP said:

I’ve contacted a debt/money agency who will ring me back. 

Feedback has been for managing debt only, not defending a claim.  Was advised to contact university professors in law to see if they can advise. 

As they use English law, We have all the same rights as if the debt was in this country, including any type of repayment plan.  Also was advised if they want to use English law, then we can, so for example if it’s older than 6 years old, then by English Law is statute barred.  They Can’t just chose the best parts of each countries law, it has to be all or nothing. 

Quite Squaddy...you could even apply for a Time Order. ? Ill check

No you cant...the agreement must be regulated by the CCA1974

" My judge said this was being tried under UAE law and not UK law ? "

Really cant see how that is possible 

The DIFC Courts

A defendant who makes an admission under Rules 15.14, 15.18 or 15.24 can make a request for time to pay (Rule 15.33), which must be served or filed with his admission (Rule 15.35). The defendant should complete the statement of means contained in the admission form or otherwise give details of his means in writing (Rule 15.36).

The contents of the defence

The defendant must give an address for service if he has not filed an acknowledgement of service under Part 11 (Rule 17.23). Where the defendant is an individual and the claim form does not contain an address for the defendant or contains an incorrect address, the defendant must provide his address in the defence (Rule 17.24).
In the defence, the defendant must state:
  • Which of the allegations in the particulars of claim he denies.
  • Which allegations he is unable to admit or deny but which he requires the claimant to prove.
  • Which allegations he admits (Rule 17.26).
Where the defendant denies an allegation:
  • He must state his reasons for doing so.

• If he intends to put forward a different version of events from that given by the claimant, he must state his own version (Rule 17.27).
    A defendant who fails to deal with an allegation but sets out in his defence the nature of his case in relation to the issue to which the allegation is relevant is taken to require that allegation to be proved (Rule 17.28).
    Where a claim includes a money claim, unless the defendant expressly admits the allegation, the allegation relating to the amount of money needs to be proved (Rule 17.29).

Subject to Rules 17.28 and 17.29, a defendant who fails to deal with an allegation is taken to admit that allegation (Rule 17.30).
    If the defendant is defending in a representative capacity, he must state what that capacity is (Rule 17.31).
    The defendant must give details of the expiry of any relevant limitation period relied on (Rule 17.32).

Where a defendant contends that he is entitled to money from the claimant and relies on this as a defence to the whole or part of the claim, the contention may be included in the defence and set off against the claim, whether or not it is also a counterclaim (Rule 17.33).

The following may be useful...

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/27/contents

Permission required to serve out of jurisdiction

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part06#6.36

23 hours ago, Hornsey62 said:

Dx I just did what was advised. .no jurisdiction but they won..so what now?

I understand you have valuable knowledge on dealing with debt here but I think we are out of our depth and need to look in to it more before any advice given.  I'm now in a situation where no one can advice me what to do so where do I go from here? 

No advice to offer at the moment you said you had 21 days to prepare a defence.....have you made a start as requested last week in preparing points that can be used in your defence...what about the initial debt ....any disputes...reasons for leaving it behind etc etc.

Andy

And I stand by all that advice as that is the correct procedure to contest the courts jurisdiction to hear and deal with the claim.You had to have a hearing because the claimants challenged your application.....that has never happened before on this forum... normally would not require a hearing....they simply drop the claim.

You do not submit evidence or a defence in an application to contest the courts jurisdiction as by doing so you are submitting to the courts jurisdiction and accepting that the court does have jurisdiction.That is why the court has now ordered you submit a defence because the question of Jurisdiction has been accepted by the court.It does not mean that you have submitted to the courts jurisdiction.

See CPR 11.

(9) If a defendant makes an application under this rule, he must file and serve his written evidence in support with the application notice, but he need not before the hearing of the application file –

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part11

I did advise you to raise points such as had the claimant requested permission to serve out of jurisdiction. The English Court should not exercise its jurisdiction if there is a more appropriate forum (known as the doctrine of "forum non conveniens") and Another gateway is where the dispute relates to a contract which is governed by English law or contains a term conferring jurisdiction on the English Courts to determine any claim in respect of the contract.

Did the agreement refer to Exclusive or None exclusive jurisdiction clauses limit disputes to the courts of one jurisdiction.

It is noted that yours refers at 11.13

" These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of the Emirate of Dubai and the UAE.You and we submit to the none exclusive jurisdiction of the civil courts of the UAE.Such submission shall not restrict our rights to bring in any other jurisdiction.

Further reading.....

http://disputeresolutionblog.practicallaw.com/taking-steps-without-submitting-to-the-jurisdiction-how-far-can-you-go/

https://www.ashurst.com/en/news-and-insights/legal-updates/jurisdiction-clauses/

http://www.shlegal.com/insights/when-will-the-english-courts-have-jurisdiction-over-a-dispute

https://www.latham.london/2019/01/english-court-of-appeal-clarifies-test-for-determining-jurisdictional-challenges/

Posts moved to own thread

Interesting article...wonder which Solicitors they spoke to...

https://www.buddyloans.com/blog/returning-to-the-uk-with-debts-outside-the-uk/

Start to prepare the basis of a defence Hornsey62 as I have advised on your own thread.

We cant use the normal technicality defence which puts them to strict proof as we dont know if this is being tried under UK law or UAD Law.

I would assume the full protection of UK laws should apply given that it is being tried in an English Court and we should utilise them.

But we also must treat this as an unregulated loan for all intents and purposes 

Well UK unregulated loans are legislated through the FCA I understand....as for unregulated UAE agreements :confused:

We have a starting point and very strong 

I did advise you to raise points such as had the claimant requested permission to serve out of jurisdiction. The English Court should not exercise its jurisdiction if there is a more appropriate forum (known as the doctrine of "forum non conveniens") and Another gateway is where the dispute relates to a contract which is governed by English law or contains a term conferring jurisdiction on the English Courts to determine any claim in respect of the contract.

Im relying on you to provide a little history to any disputes unfair charges and interest etc etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2019 at 19:37, Hornsey62 said:

Once I found cag Dx I didn't feel alone because believed everything I read on here. That UAE cases will not be heard here.  Wrong.

There's always a first time and now CAG are aware .

Contesting jurisdiction has cost me £2300 I don't have and you say I've lost nothing!  It's ok for people advising on here because they've nothing to lose. 

That was the correct process in challenging the claim and we are surprised as much as you and if you hadn't you would have had judgment against you by now,  still we learn and and adapt our advice and pool our ideas..providing posters share their information with others

I did everything I was told..I asked numerous times if I would have to speak in court and was told everytime no..it's between the judge and CWD but as soon as I got into court I was asked what my argument was? I wasn't prepared. ..because cag told me i didn't need to be!

And normally you shouldn't have been asked...how can a Litigant in person advise an experienced District Judge the arguments against Jurisdiction ? Could she not decide herself if the court was right to hear the claim ?

So before blaming us defendants take a look at yourselves and ask what could we have done better? We've let these people down..let's improve our knowledge before giving advice on this subject we know nothing about. No what do you do? You blame us! 

So why didnt  you share instead of posting to other same UAE threads and sitting back waiting for the forum to do all the work ? This is new territory to CAG and we have never in all the time I have been a member had to submit a defence on a foreign agreement.

For your information Dx my defence went in 2 days ago..I didn't spend 21 days running around other people's threads moaning..have never done that.

Why not post a copy here for opinion and to help the 2 other posters involved in the same type of claim ?

I did my defence myself because I knew no one on here knew what to do and if I lose I lose..nowhere to get any advice.

See above

You'd do better acquainting yourself with the law of the UAE instead of picking arguments with people who are here because they're areally desperate for advise.

Its hard enough keeping up with UK Law and given that yours and the other two claims are the first we have ever had in 13 years.We offer our advice free as volunteers and achieve a remarkable success rate for posters unable to afford legal representation or the knowledge to understand the legal process...obviously you have never bothered to view the Legal Success Forum.Of course you did have the option to consult professional legal advice on foreign claims at a cost to yourself which would have easily in been in access of the claimed amount and costs so far.

Not one person on here who told me don't worry they will not be allowed to hear this case has ever come back to me or squaddy  and I see concerned expat was never advised not to contest jurisdiction even though two cases had been lost the week before. 

I did its on his thread and explained  the two options

On 17/04/2019 at 01:01, Hornsey62 said:

No one on here has been sent anything in Arabic everything we received you received. ..none of us ever got sight of the T&Cs. .

you know that.

ConcernedExpat09 has and we have copies of them.

It's all been sent from county courts in this country and no one knew  how to to defend.

You mislead us and has cost us money we can't afford. 

You removed all your uploads as the thread progressed and as for costing you see above my last post.....even if you had not done anything you would still now have a CCJ which you cant afford to pay....I suppose if Jurisdiction had been denied you would be singing our praises ?

You told us they could do nothing.

.to any of us ..wrong.

they can.

We relied on cag..wrong. .and now we are speaking out

Probably be banned now..

Not at all why would you be banned ? Speaking out is what you could have done more of and engaged with your thread.

Where's Andy now with all of he's knowledge?  No where. 

Im here Hornsey just taken a few days off to recharge my batteries and take a break from advising on 100s of threads...

I'm beginning to wonder what this forum is all about.

The ethos of the forum is to share information and pool advice on how best to deal with legal matters that posters cant afford or wont seek from Legal Representation because of the extravagant costs and unfair judicial system.It works very well if posters engage with their threads regularly and dont sit back to be spoon fed.

Banning people for having more knowledge? ?

Only one person banned connected to the threads in question and that was for breaking forum rules and being rude to SIte Team...its quite clearly explained in the forum rules what our members must abide by.

On 17/04/2019 at 19:37, Hornsey62 said:

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

See we are back to secret squirrel again....:roll:  Can't blame CAG for losing if we dont even know what you submitted.....must have been good though if the Judge didn't even bother to read it.

All threads involving a court claim are moved to the FLI Forum irrespective if connected to loans credit cards lending etc...so we have them all in one forum.

And as I stated on your forum from the day we knew jurisdiction had failed...we cant offer an opinion on a defence because its never happened before as once jurisdiction is challenged they have always discontinued or had the claim struck out by the court. 

Jurisdiction can be challenged ...it wouldn't have it on the claim form as option if it couldn't and there wouldn't be a full section in the Civil Procedure Rules on how to process it if it cannot be challenged........you was the first we know of that lost on jurisdiction on this forum..  

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/standard-directions/general/disclosure-of-documents

As a general rule, depending on the size of your dispute, you will likely be ordered to either:

Disclose documents you intend to rely on no later than 14 days before the hearing (small claims matters, up to £10,000);

Disclose documents on the standard basis – being documents which support your case, adversely affect your case or support the other sides case (fast track matters, £10,000 - £25,000)

Disclose documents confined to specific matters identified by the court, and documents within those matters which support your case, adversely affect your case or support the other sides case (multi track matters, over £25,000 or too complicated for fast track)

Yes they did in your case which is something quite new....which we covered in great length on your thread......I have done plenty of disputed jurisdictions and never lost one but they didn't have  non exclusive jurisdiction clause in their agreements.

How about posting your defence and what the outcome was of your case Hornsey...did they get judgment ?  How do they intend to execute it ? 

What was the final costs ?

It converts a forthwith to monthly payment which is set to suit your finances...so if £5 a month so be it...rubber stamped by the court....if you try to negotiate direct ...which it sounds thats what your doing.....they can alter it whenever they feel like it and if you dont comply can execute the judgment...but not if you submit an N245 as advised.

But hey what do we know ? :roll:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was not given correct information here and there is a legal reason to pay this debt.

:biggrin:  Most of the actions you took were off your own back and opposite to the advice given here on the limited information you provided..in between long periods with no updates.

The equity is minimal here plus it’s in both names and I actually don’t own my equity either. 

Again... sparse information posted that does not make sense...why do you not own the equity ?

re there any link to how to respond the N85?

Whats an N85. ?..Im sure that a Third Party Debt Order Form...do you mean N86 ?

2 hours ago, Hornsey62 said:

Andy they made me bankrupt after the charging order.

You never know what their next move will be, they are absolutely disgraceful.

Now how did that come about...did they not get their charging order ?  Because you cant issue a stat demand if the debt is already secured.