• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Housing assoc service charges. How to dispute?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a bit of experience with success of getting a large refund 50% of service charges.

You have to write to them at their head office a recorded delivery letter followed by a copy via email, just to nail them to the cross.

In this you will ask to see all documentation related to the service charges as per Landlord and Tenants act.

To make it clear you have to ask to see all evidence of expenditures for example receipts, invoices, etc.

You have 6 months time limit to ask this from the moment you receive the actual cost service charges which is usually around April.

They have a month to comply or 6 months from the bill, whatever comes later.

They will inevitably have non documented charges and you will inevitably ask for these back.

Once they give you the documentation, make your calculations and give them 30 days to refund.

If they don't, you send them a lba giving further 30 days and threatening court action.

At day 31 if they haven't paid you take them to court and you'll win hands down.

Most likely they'll pay you after the lba or at worst, once they receive the court letter.

2 things:

1. Don't ever talk to them on the phone unless you know how to make them say what you want and record the call.

2. Do not approach the Ombudsman as they will suggest. It's a waste of time.

In another case the Ombudsman agreed they had deliberately lied to me on several occasions causing loss of enjoyment of my property but they didn't sanction them, not even a slap on the wrist.

Use the court system and you'll get your money back.

Come back here for more advice.

• Confused 1

Of course they will.

Engage in the ping-pong letter game and they will dig their own grave.

Contract that doesn't break down individual costs?

Nonsense, they must provide you with the percentage related to your property.

I guess they charge the whole lot to every single building using the same receipt.

Spreadsheet for electricity is not good enough, you want to see the actual bill.

Servicing and repair are 2 separate things.

All continuous improvement/repair/maintenance contractors must produce an invoice at one point, otherwise how do they account for it with HMRC?

Ask them this question.

Also you could send an email to the contractors and ask if it's true that they don't produce invoices.

It worked with me and I received an unequivocal response saying that all work is invoiced.

Once the management company gives you the runaround in a couple of emails, ask to see the contract and the percentage related to your building.

They already said they have this, so they must produce it in order to comply with your request.

Stu007, this is all well and good, but the matter is not whether they're cleaning or cutting the hedge, it's that the management company is overcharging and I bet they can't provide evidence of expenditures.

If they provide evidence of expenditures, then the op could look at complaining about work not being carried out.

That won't grant any compensation, but just the management company getting on contractors case.

Bottom line is that if they can't provide evidence of expenditures they must refund the charges.

When it's a matter of money I tempt to take a more robust and effective approach.

I communicate my concerns to them, gather evidence, then ask for money back in a recorded delivery letter followed by a copy via email.

If they don't comply I send a lba which usually does the trick.

If you submit a complaint about refund they will fob you off and then suggest you take it to the Ombudsman knowing that they will be a winner.

If you skip the Ombudsman and take them to court, they'll have reasons to say that they tried to avoid court by suggesting the Ombudsman.

If instead you don't give them a chance to involve their friend, the Ombudsman, at best they'll be going to mediation which is not biased.

I say this based on experience, whereby the Ombudsman had to conced that the management company had deliberately misled me in order to gain, but no sanction was issued.

In other words the Ombudsman said "we know they've tried to con you and lied in several communication, but we're not going to do anything about it rather than accept it"

Not really, courts are aware of the useless Ombudsman and regulation schemes.

Just think of all sofas cases we get here on cag.

Also by going to the Ombudsman and being denied a refund, gives the HA some ammunition to use in court.

Leave the Ombudsman out is my advice and if you don't start a formal complaint the HA would not even mention it.

Money matters are better dealt in a more direct way in my experience.

All companies have learnt how to find lame excuses to dismiss a complaint.

In my case the said that the 3 managers who deliberately lied to me had done nothing wrong, but the fault was of the company, an abstract entity.

The Ombudsman accepted this, fortunately this was not about money.

In another case, involving a refund I followed the pre action protocol and they paid up, no complaint, no opportunity for them to refer the matter to their friend (the Ombudsman).