• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Early Probation Termination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Internet forums can be an odd place at times.

Clashing opinions/facts and styles of responses. Debates for the sake of it. People having right to offend or being offended.

Agree with Sangie on this. They were straight to the point and gave facts. With employment law, if the situation is clear, then better to be given a clear answer and not be led down the garden path.

If the OP wants to continue looking into their rights based on their experience of being let go by their employer, then there is plenty of information on CAG and elsewhere. Just Google for it and there will be pages of results.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's being missed through all of this is at the outset I had no awareness what Sangies background was and because I asked for others advice,she took offence to it.

There has been no disputing the information provided anywhere throughout this topic and her information has been valuable, but because I requested if any more could be added she went on the offensive.

Remember I have contacted various professional bodies who have all given conflicting advice, am I in the wrong to ask for more so as to work out what is actually correct?

From Vaubans post (and everything he has said regarding people asking for help is spot on) it looks like this is not the first time that she had replied this way.

Whether she is offended or not,for someone in her profession to make that comment to someone who has just been made unemployed is disrespectful and disgusting.

It goes against everything that this site is about,some of you including SgtBush with your "If tho is the op's attitude at work , no wonder the original question was asked" comment might want to remember that sometimes.

Remember that on CAG people volunteer their time and don't get paid. People will provide information and answers, but if they keep being asked for more and more information, it is asking someone to give up more free time to search through resources they might have. If you went to an employment solicitor it would be quite expensive.

With CAB, ACAS and other advice services they have employed staff as well as volunteers. If you have been given conflicting advice elsewhere then take it up with those that gave it.

I will leave it at that.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I totally understand your comments and have seen all of the behaviours you describe. But CAG and other forums only really mirror real life. If you went into a room with 10 people at random to discuss a particular problem, you would see exactly the same as on this thread.

You would have a couple of authoritative people who were sure about their knowledge, explain the issues and rights. You would have a couple of others challenge them and offer a different opinion. There would be four people who had no particular view trying to be helpful and a couple of people who were not helpful at all. So not really different to any type of online forum.

Now you might say that you would start asking for qualifications and experience. You would have no right to such information and they might not provide it. This might be due to their employers contract terms, regulatory compliance, conflicts of interest etc. For example, people who work in Insurance are not really allowed to offer Insurance advice online on forums. They can offer general information to help people, but if they started to get into actually helping specifically with a case in might land them in hot water. The same goes for Civil Servants who deal with say Local Government or Benefits, who are not really allowed to offer specific advice online or in public outside of their official job role.

This is why internet forums are anonymous so people can share knowledge and experience, without it causing problems with their employment. It can be a small world out there and some people who post to forums or read them, might see some of the OP's threads before them on their in trays at work. It does happen, as I know someone who replied to an Insurance issue and then back in work found out that the Insurance company they worked for were dealing with the OP's claim. It then became clear that the information on the thread was not 100% accurate and there was much more to the story.