• Tweets

• I live in a student house, with 5 tenants, unihomes is our utilities provider, who we each have a direct debit set up with and have paid each bill every month. Two letters were sent in my name by BWLegal saying I had two outstanding payments due adding up to over £3500, I have tried to contact british gas (as that is apparently our houses provider) as well as Unihomes. Nothing has helped and BWlegal are pursuing legal action if these debts are not resolved by the 1st May. What do I do? I've called Bwlegal when i bring up that the debt isnt for me and for unihomes they hang up on me. so I am stressed and do not know what to do
    • cant do either if its not in a public place or on your land. dx  
    • scared of what? you simply jumped at turnstile.... it's not a prison sentence and done very doubtfully of any criminal. exuberance of youth stupid act at very very worst it will be a warning letter if anything ever happens ..means nothing going fwd. dx          
    • Hi, everyone. I received a letter from TfL investigator/Prosecutor. The letter reads as follow:   ''Thank you for responding to our enquiry letter. Your comments will be taken into consideration when reviewing whis case and we will contact you as soon as we have reached a decision. TfL now consider prosecution against passengers who are in breach of all TfL byelaw offences and I must inform you that further legal action may be taken. TfL byelaws can be found at ... Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you further.''   The letter was sent 23 days after I replied to them. Should I send another begging letter to IAP? I'm extremely scared now. Thanks all.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Gemini/gladstones claimform - Windscreen PCN Queens hosp Romford - P+D ticket !***Claim Dismissed***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Read it again, they won't state that the driver was the registered keeper, they'll use the phrase, "the driver and/or the registered keeper", which keeps it just this side of the truth.

All of the parking companies try to word it in such a way so that the people they're writing to panic & pay up. Once you realise how these companies work (all of them), you'll see that most of what they say is only just on the right side of fact and they'll try to dress it up as much as possible to get you to part with your hard earned.

• Haha 1

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably could, but I'll guarantee they won't. Most judges (it seems) are as fed up of the parking companies as the rest of us.

Besides, if you were asked "Who was driving the car on that day"? A reply of, "I don't remember" would leave them with nowhere to go.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

They're criminal cases that the likes of BWL & Gladstones are very fond of using.

They're of absolutely no relevance in a civil case of course, but they're still hoping that they'll be able to find a Judge that doesn't know that.

So far, they've failed (somewhat spectacularly in some cases) but they just keep on trying :lol:

Have a look here to see why they aren't relevant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

OK, I've just skim read this (very familiar) Robostatement. And a couple of points that I've picked up on to help you pick it apart.

Under "The Defendants Liability" at..

Para 6. The Register Keeper (the Defendant) failed to nominate who was driving the vehicle prior to these proceedings which is required under paragraph 5(2) of the Act.

Now, unless they have a completely different version of the POFA 2012 to everyone else. Paragraph 5(2) says...

Sub-paragraph (1)(b) ceases to apply if (at any time after the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the day on which the notice to keeper is given) the creditor begins proceedings to recover the unpaid parking charges from the keeper.

No where in there does it say that the Recorded Keeper is required to name the driver.

And under the same part of their WS. Para 7. Elliot v Loake. Really??? I'd know that this was Gladrags shoddy work even if it wasn't in the title of the thread.

"The Charge"

In ParkingLie v Beavis the Supreme Court certainly DID NOT say that any £85 charge was neither extravagant nor unconscionable. What they said was that IN THAT CASE and/or IN THAT CAR PARK and with THE SIGNS THAT WERE IN PLACE AT THE TIME that Barry Beavis parked there, that the charge was legitimate.

That only really stands for that very particular set of circumstances. ParkingLie pay the landowner a rent to operate in that car park. So in that case, they had the rights to charge that amount.

This really doesn't mean that any PCN from any cowboy outfit is just as legitimate.

Under the item headed "the contract" and under the sub heading "Unauthorised" there is a list of scenarios where a vehicle will be issued with a PCN.

No where there does it say "not parking in a blue badge bay while displaying a blue badge and not buying a P&D ticket" So, irrespective of what it may or may not say on their signage, you've not broken any of the terms that are in their contract that would mean that your vehicle was "unauthorised" and was issued a PCN.

Obviously and clearly the pictures of the signage and the wider pictures of where that signage is placed do not match the pictures of your vehicle and where it was parked.

Yep.

Has a hearing date been allocated yet?

Gladrags really have fired off too early on this then.

No need to rush with your WS, you have until 28th May (by my working out) to submit your WS to Gladrags & the Court.

It's important that you leave it to the last possible moment, that way Gladrags can't tailor anything (last minute) to counter what you're saying in your WS.

Sit on your hands for now and await ideas :thumb:

Also, unless you hear otherwise before hand. Make sure that you check MCOL on 15th May and if they haven't paid the hearing fee, ask that the claim be struck out as per that order :thumb: It probably won't be, but it's always worth asking :wink:

It also shows that you're taking an active interest in the case and that you're not going to be some muppet that Gladrags can just walk all over.

Get a screenshot of that if you haven't already. Make 3 copies (1 for Gladrags, 1 for Court and one for your evidence bundle). Refer to it in your WS.

That web page and Gemini's own contract should sink their claim without a trace, but let them waste their money on paying the hearing fee first :smokin:

• 1 month later...

Can we see a copy of their "contract" please :thumb:

Ahh yes, I remember it now I've seen it again. If I remember correctly, I pointed out that you did not breach any of the conditions which their own contract says will result in a ticket.

That opinion hasn't changed, and I don't think you have anything to worry about at court. Just don't forget to claim all of your expenses, LiP costs etc. Might as well teach them a financial lesson as well :lol:

Thank you, The problem I have now is its my partners name on the summons but shes really afraid to go to court and to behonest finding someone to care for the poorly babies isnt going to be easy either. Can I be allowed to speak for her ? from memory I dont think I am

Yes, you are allowed to do the talking. But take a copy of the Lay Representatives (Rights of Audience) Order with you. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/1225/pdfs/uksi_19991225_en.pdf Just in case the Judge questions it.

It might also be worth taking a copy of this section of the legal services act. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/29/schedule/3/crossheading/rights-of-audience That way, if Gladrags send anyone other than a solicitor (and they have a habit of sending the tea boy) you can question their right to be heard by the court. And if they can't speak, you can rip in to their evidence completely :lol:

Also, I notice on their WS they go onto a Defense - Do I counter this 'Defense' with the WS ? as is pointed out, the cases they rely upon are not relevant and their description of POFA is incorrect.

Yep, go for your life and rip it to shreds

It also looks like the badge is set to 1545 and ticket was issued at 1601 - therefore, would it not be fair to argue as the vehicle is showing a disabled badge - if the occupant was having to go get change as their machines do not take notes - this could take a prolonged period as the only place is a shop within the hospital atrium; by the time walk there at a reduced rate, Q up to get the change and walk back - not much point getting a ticket once a PCN was issued ?

PPC's are required by their Codes of Practice (both the BPA and IPC) to give a MINIMUM of 10 minutes grace (not the 10 minutes maximum that they like to claim). The disabled badge is a little bit of a red herring as it (realistically at least) has no relevance on private land. However, because the vehicle was displaying a blue badge, then I do not think that it would be seen as unreasonable to allow extra time to buy P&D tickets etc. Leave the getting change bit out of it, that's irrelevant and might even muddy the waters, especially as the NHS trust clearly state that parking is free for blue badge holders (outside of the barriers at least).

Don't forget the screen shot of the hospital website, as in post #58 when it states that blue badge holders can park for free. Print it and take it with you.

And then also have another look at my post #135

I think the hospitals own website, and the fact that they clearly state that parking is free for BB holders, is going to sink Gemini/Gladrags case without a trace.

When you speak, open with that point.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Judge stopped the proceedings and dismissed the case at that point.

Hmmm. I stand corrected in what I said earlier in the thread then. I honestly thought that a Lay Representative (i.e. you) would automatically get a right of audience.

Everyday is a school day as they say. Apologies for the mistake.

Well done on the dismissal though :first::thumb:

OK, I've been looking in to this, because it was bugging me :lol:

The Lay Representatives (Right of Audience) Order 1999 is the empowering legislation that means that someone, in this case, you, does have a right of audience before the court providing that the defendant, in this case your other half, is present. Or if special permission is given by the court for her to be absent (although that's unlikely to be granted).

Perhaps the court were mixing up "Lay Rep" and "McKenzie Feind" (:wink:) as a McKenzie would definitely need the permission of the Judge before being allowed to open their mouth to address the court.

So I was correct then, and the court seems to have mixed things up?

I'm not seeing where it needs to be. :|

The legislation and CPR say "any person" and not 'any person as long as we know who'

What if you decided to use a Lay Rep long after the DQ was submitted? On the morning of the hearing for instance.

Ahh, they do seem to have mixed things up between Lay Rep and McKenzie then, but no matter in the end, I knew that website would sink them. :thumb:

• Confused 1

They wouldn't get away with it in a criminal court, but the county court system is a lot more relaxed.

Mind you, it works both ways... How late were you with your defence WS? :lol: