• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

willowthewysp v A/L

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a quick Hi to all!

Am just about to send off my pre-lim(?) letter to A/L.

I have been trying to print out my statements but so far all i get is 'internet explorer has encountered a problem and has to close'........getting suspicious as i dont have a problem printing anything else out!!!

Anyway, Today, i received a 'default notice' from A/L....i take it this is a bad thing!:-x

Will keep updates here...

xx

willowthewysp

Action so far...

:!: Alliance and Leicester>>>PAID IN FULL:D

:!: Capital One>>>£1025.19

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

01dec06>statements received...

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Court claim has been sent...waiting reply

:!: Payment Protection on Capital One>>>

23dec06>refund credited to account!

Just a quick Hi to all!

Am just about to send off my pre-lim(?) letter to A/L.

I have been trying to print out my statements but so far all i get is 'internet explorer has encountered a problem and has to close'........getting suspicious as i dont have a problem printing anything else out!!!

Anyway, Today, i received a 'default notice' from A/L....i take it this is a bad thing!:-x

Will keep updates here...

xx

Its not good however you can have it removed if it is because of charges.

Well, in the end, it all comes down to charges....i am very over-drawn now, but if i didnt have the heavy charges applied, i would not be over-drawn!

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Write and tell them that you are placing the account in dispute and they shouldn't take further action until the dispute is resolved.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thankyou!

Is it possible to try to get money back from 2 companies?...ie, a bank and a credit card?Or is that taking the p***?!

xx

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Yes, although you may want to take one on at a time, it is never taking the p*** when they have taken it out of us for so long.

As for the default, they told me some time back that they issued one against me, checked the Credit Reference Agencies and there is not one registered by A&L, might be a frightener (they are quite naughty). However, I would check with with the CRA's to get the truth. Have you got a parachute account up and running?

We haven't got the money, so we've got to think!

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Data Protection Act Letter sent 11/08/06

Data rec'd 14/09/06, Prelim letter sent 16/09/06

LBA sent 22/09/06, MCOL 6QZ68670 issued 2/10/06 - chq for £6,375.34 rec'd 04/11/06.

Thankyou!

Is it possible to try to get money back from 2 companies?...ie, a bank and a credit card?Or is that taking the p***?!

xx

You can claim from however many companies have had unlawful charges from you. You have done well if it's only two. Berserker is right about just doing one at a time, at least until you are more familiar with the process.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thankyou, Caro and Beserker...I will deal with A/L first then, then my credit card....they have been really naughty, so i will enjoy 'sorting' them out....i took out payment protection plan 6 years ago (was on benefits),when i realised i was getting charged every month and therefore going over my limit because of the charges and so on, i tried to use the payment protection plan as having paid £5 every month for 6 years would have helped a lot...i was told i couldn't use it as i wasn't working and shouldn't have been able to get the credit card in the first place due to not working! I am now going more over my credit limit steadily every month as i can only pay £10 a week to them!

And yes...i have an old natwest 'step' account which i am now using..(not good for much, but my money goes in and i can take it out!)

xxx

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Do check the credit reference agencies, if they have logged a default against you, have a go at getting it cleared at the same time you claim the penalty charges back. Defaults are almost as negative on your credit history as CCJ's and will mean that if you go for a mortgage you will be unable to use the high street lenders (I know from personal experience). Search through the threads about this and as always read the FAQs, it can save a lot of worry.

We haven't got the money, so we've got to think!

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Data Protection Act Letter sent 11/08/06

Data rec'd 14/09/06, Prelim letter sent 16/09/06

LBA sent 22/09/06, MCOL 6QZ68670 issued 2/10/06 - chq for £6,375.34 rec'd 04/11/06.

Well, have just managed to send off my first letter to the bank.

Am looking forward to receiving a reply...!

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Ummm...I have to hold my hands up to being completely stupid!!

I have sent my pre lim letter to A/L...I didn't send it recorded!

Should i send another one or wait the 14 days?

Im SUCH an IDIOT!!!

x

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Received a letter today from A/L, I was a bit worried at first, but logged on to this forum and after reading through some of the posts, realise that this letter i received is pretty standard...

Its explaining that the OFT were reffering to credit card charges being unfair..not bank charges...A/L 'cannot accept i have been unfairly charged and therefore are unable to agree to my request for a refund of charges on this occasion'....they are sorry if i am disappointed with their response, but the 'charges have been raised correctly in line with the terms and conditions of my account and they must stand'............!!!

So, it seems i am on to the next step!!

Will have a good read of any information on here first, so i am sure of what i am doing...

I knew A/L would dig their heels in, but was kinda hoping they would give me a break!

(Mind you, they probably don't think they will here from me again!:lol: )

xx

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Forget that last statement...Received a sod-off letter this morning!

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

yes, that is a standard letter

continue with your claim

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

Threads merged. Please keep your progress on one thread as it makes it easier to follow.

Well,isent my Letter before action this morning,and i sent it recorded.

Am looking forward to receiving a reply now!

x

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Received a lovely letter from A/L today!...They obviously havn't received my L.B.A yet, or the letters crossed....I am over-drawn with them, and the debt is mounting as they continue to charge me, they are demanding a full and immediate repayment of the account!

If i do not pay immediatley, further steps will be taken to recover the debt and a CHARGE OF £15 will be raised on my account!!!!!!!

Oh dear!

Nevermind, i have demanded a lot more money than what they have!!!So they will get paid when i do!

xx

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

I suggest that you write to the person who wrote this letter and tell them that the account is in dispute, and as such, no further action should be taken until the dispute is resolved.

Really? Ok i will do that, although i have just been informed by paypal (not A/L!) that my bank account has now been closed!

Nice!

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Just to be clear, they have had your preliminary request for payment haven't they? If so then you have told them that you don't agree with the charges and are disputing them. If the account has been closed already it might be difficult to get it re-instated but if not, they should resolve the dispute before taking action. It would be as well to fight it in case they put a default on with the credit reference agencies which could affect your ability to get credit or a mortgage for the next six years.

If I were you I would transfer all your income, direct debits etc to a parachute account as a matter of urgency. Are your charges more than your overdraft? If so the returned charges will clear it and you can start off with a clean sheet in your new account.

Yes, they have received and responded to my preliminary request for payment, and i have sent them a L.B.A...they have closed my account and demanded full and immediate payment since then.

I have moved all my money and direct debits etc to a natwest step account.

And, yes, the bank charges are far more than my overdraft and more than the amount they are demanding, so the returned charges will more than cover any monies owed them.

I am sending the person who wrote the last demand letter a letter today explaining that my account is currently in dispute, although thay have already closed my account and they appear to have already defaulted me.

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

Right!

I have just received a letter from A/L regarding my letter before action.....Basically, they feel their charges are reasonable and are clearly shown within their literature etc so customers can make an informed choice of products before opening an account with them, blah, blah, blah.....!!!

As they write in their letter...'in view of the above, I regret to inform you that our original decision concerning the charges raised on your account must stand. I appreciate that you will remain disappointed and regret that I am unable to assist you further on this occasion'..!

So, I guess it is the next step for me then.....??!!

I don't mind admitting i am now VERY scared/worried/confused etc!!!:confused:

Although i have read through the steps i need to take, i must admit it gets a bit above my head from now on, so if there is anyone out there who can guide me, i would be very grateful!!

I presume my next step is to work out the interest???!!!

I will have another read through, and come back here with questions probably!!:p

xxxx

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...

looks like we are at exactly the same stage with A&L. I also sent my LBA on 7th November and have had not one, but two standard bog off replies. I am going to do some more reading up on the MCOL and the courts before their 14 days is up and get it in next week!

Although I obviously took it off the spreadsheet before sending my letters to the bank, I had a look at and calculated the interest at the start of this process on the basis of the court's 8% to add on at the next stage. (I did not really understand how the overdraft interest calculations worked, and would not be happy to have to argue this in the unlikely event of this being defended in court!)

Alliance and Leicester: started 2/9/6, LBA 7/11/06.

I beleive i am exempt from paying the court fees as we are claiming tax credits...i presume i need to send the EX160 form and wait for a reply before i can apply to the court?

As for the interest...i am still trying to understand it all.I have filled out a spreadsheet, which i think may be correct(waiting for conformation that it is correct before i use it!)

Anyway, good luck nackers!

Here's to getting back what A/L have taken from us!

willowthewysp

Action so far...

07nov06>sent S.A.R....

27jan07>sent pre-lim...

10feb07>sent LBA...