• Tweets

• Asset Link filed for a default CCJ against me, in relation to an old Barclaycard debt which I apparently signed an agreement for back in 2000.   I did not own a Barclaycard in 2000 so I know this is not true.  The CCJ notice was sent to an old address so I did not receive it.  Years later when I found out about the CCJ when I applied for credit, I put an application in to have the CCJ set aside.   As part of the set aside case, I was asked by the judge to provide a draft defence, should the CCJ be set aside.   The defence I provided was that I did not admit to the debt as I had not been provided with any evidence of an original loan agreement.   I won the case and the CCJ was set aside.   Link then filed to court again to make me pay the debt.   We both filed directions questionnaires and the judge allocated the claim to the small claims track.   As part of the directions, additional directions given were as follows ' Additional Directions in a claim for an Assigned Debt - Because the claim is in respect of an assigned debt the Court makes the following directions for the management of claim.  The claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless, before that time, the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents'  It then listed various documents such as an original agreement, deed of assignment, notice of default, statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement etc.     The Claimant failed to provide these documents within the deadline provided and instead I received a copy of a bundle of documents provided by them in preparation for the court date, this was received weeks after the deadline.    I have called the Court to ask if it has been automatically struck out and they advised that it is not automatic and that I should still send my witness statement by the deadline provided, which is Wednesday.  This does not give me much time to prepare my witness statement.   I have never done anything like this before and I am unclear what my witness statement should include.  My thoughts were that I should keep it simple and stick to the facts, like the fact thy have not provided evidence of the original agreement, or the deed of assignment of the debt.   They have provided a copy of a default notice from Baclaycard dated 2015, this states a figure of £550 but the debt they say I owe is £10k.   I am not sure what makes a valid default notice?   I have previously requested proof of the debt from Barclaycard directly and have evidence of emails between us where they have been unable to provide me with the agreement or any documents at all relating to the debt.   Should I include these as an appendix?  Are there any other documents I should include in my bundle?    I have also tried to mediate with the claimants, to save the court costs and time, on a without prejudice basis, but the claimants solicitors refused to mediate.   Should i state this in my witness statement too to show the judge that I have been reasonable and they haven't? Many thanks   Louise
    • Right that's exactly why so many drivers got caught, it had been that way for many years then suddenly changes with no warning
    • The hearing is 25th June, I have downloaded items to different organisations previously but they do it a simple way and I just cross out private things with a felt tip and sent to an email address.  I have looked at the instructions for CAG it seems extremely complicated especially this about having to use a system MSPAINT.EXE that removes your personal information. I am hoping one of my Grandchildren understands things to give me help, I have shown one of my daughters she said she does not understand the instructions. I have a PC and I mainly use a lap top, as previously advised I only understand the straightforward things, sending an email and using my scanner to send a document that I save in a file or send it to an email. I will try and find someone to help me, thanks for your help you have given me so far appreciate it        
    • Yes, it would. Especially as they are supposed to put up extra signs to show that parking restrictions have changed, which of course they won't have done.
    • Right would that be grounds for a dismissal right there then, 90 seconds?! Lookingforinfo - you're getting crossed wires buddy, we're in the hospital thread here, the ICO complaint was my other appeal the Locton estate one   Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

scottish procedure

dtollan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Scooby - As far as I know you can only claim £1500 in a Scottish summary court (thats what I done) and claims can only go back 5 years here. Some people have broken the claims down and gone back to court a 2nd and 3rd etc times but the Scottish courts have now stopped accepting more than one on the same account claiming they should have done it all in one go. You can either claim the first £1500 and go on to a legal web site with on a 'no win - no fee' basis - which is what I done for the 2nd claim of £850. I have just sent in the paperwork so I do not know how it will go as yet but will post my progress. Whatever you do, search for more up-to-date advice as this web site is full of great ideas and support. Good luck - you will get that kind of dosh no problem - but as I said, try and do it in one go, the fee for using one of these sites is 10% of your winnings which was basically money you never expected to see ever again in the first place - I would do it. Aw ra best. Stepper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find any of these sites who will fight your corner for claims going back more than 5 years, then fine. But I rather suspect you won't. They offer a no win/no fee service because they KNOW they can win. They aren't going to take on a case that has even the slightest chance of losing.

So basically, as the likelyhood of getting anything back beyond 5 years is remote in the extreme, and you'll likely find that claiming contractual interest is a no go too, you might like to consider this.

Tot up your claim for 5 years. (less CI and stautory interest). Start thinking of what you're likely to get back on that basis.

Wait until your LBA time is up.

Then EITHER... employ a solicitor who most likely WILL be prepeared to go down the ordinary cause route for you. (Remember, all fees can be recovered after you win. And you WILL need a solicitor for ordinary cause. i doubt no win/no fee will do this for you).

OR.... wait 8 weeks after the bank receives your prelim, then bang a complaint off to the Financial Ombudsman. The reason for the 8 week delay is, the FOS will want you to have exhausted the bank's complaints procedure. This will incur a further delay of quite possibly another 8 to 12 weeks as the FOS is inundated with complaints at the moment.

Or ignore the above and plough on regardless.

You haven't said which bank it is, but it might be worth noting that RBS are currently getting around (eventually) to offering Scottish claimants as near as dammit the full amount going back 5 years. And if your bank DOES offer you something similar, it is unlikely the FOS will argue against that, and will consider it a fair offer.

All up to you.

Seahorse - I am with the A&l, they settled the first claim in full. For the second I had to think twice since in between times the courts started throwing 2nd claims (on the SAME account) out. If I had taken the risk - gone to court and got thrown out, and then tried the FOS, they would have said that a 'legal decision' had been ruled and that would have been that. I just did not fancy a long drawn out performance going through all the required hoops for the FOS. It was a personal decision to use a web site lawyer, because I just want my cash back - or as much as I can get back (I am fully aware that they only fight cases they can win, otherwise I would not have bothered with them), and I will use what I get back as a safety net so that I NEVER again am open to charges. My needs are quite simple, relief from the worry of future charges.

Did you get back charges going past 5 years here in Scotland, Stepper? And if they only charged 10%, I think a few others might be interested if it means beating the 5 year limitation as it would probably be quite cost effective. I'd have loved to get mine back all the way from 1998.

For info guys, I think anyone who starts throwing round NWNF names in the forums will be hit hard by the powers that be on this forum. Just warning you.

NWNF sols are in general a waste of time as they will concentrate on the "easy money" claims. Think long and hard about using one of these but if you do end up using one, ENSURE IT'S REGULATED!!!

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

I cannot see how a NWNF company is going to make any difference to claiming back your 850. They have absolutely no more power or influence in obtaining the 850 back than you do and if anything, have more chance of effing it up for you.

You should in no way be advocating the use of these companies as you haven't tried them yet - you have just put your paperwork in as you say.

Whatever line they've thrown you about being able to retrieve that extra 850 I don't see how they're going to have any better chance than you have of getting it. What can they do that you can't?

Waste of space imo...

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Seahorse, I only went back 5 years (don't think you can do any more unless you can get an English address and claim under English law, but I do NOT know for sure about that one), - what I done was claim for the years to the total of £1500 - and the remaining years I think 2005 - present = £850, I handed over to a web site lawyer.

I still don't understand exactly what you are saying. If you only claimed charges going back 5 years, and the amount involved kept it out of Ordinary Cause, I just can't see why you would think No Win/No Fee would be necessary. And I must admit to being a bit confused about the £1500 you are on about. Was this with interest, going back beyond the 5 years, won in court or handed on a plate or what? And do I understand you correctly when you seem to be saying you split the claim, handing the £850 part to an internet shark? I ask, because splitting claims in Scotland runs the risk of having subsequent claims thrown out as an abuse of process.

Might I just make a suggestion here. If you intend to advise anyone on here as to the correct route you THINK they should take, you quantify it with a CONCISE precis of your own experience. Merely in order to avoid confusing the heck out of newbies. In fact, to avoid confusing those of us who have spent more than a little time researching how we can HELP OURSELVES to get through our claims.

No Win/No Fee is NOT the way to go, in my very humble opinion. I might have changed my mind had you found someone who had been prepared to go the extra mile, but I should have realised that just wasn't going to happen.

And in my experience few, if any, of this lot are lawyers or solicitors. They are in the main people who have jumped on the claims bandwagon, have little or no legal background, and in a great number of cases are even using the information on sites like this to do what YOU should have been able to do yourself.

Rant over. For now.

Okay, here it is again. My claims for the past 5 years was over the £1500 limit of the summary court, and small claims -Now, since I did not know anything about Ordinary cause (there was no talk of it that I noticed because everyone seemed to be doing very well by splitting their claims and going back via small/ summary court at that time) - ANYWAY I followed the summary route and I won the first part of my claim for £1500. When I was preparing for the 2nd claim - £850 - the courts by this time had stopped accepting 2nd claims on the same account. The only other route was now via the FOS. I thought this would take too long so I tried to see if I could finalise the whole thing via the NWNF. They may be sharks I agree - but losing £85 to them is better than gaining nothing, at this point, for me, it might be quicker to use them, its a personal choice, and since the firm is based in London, they will be going via an English court SO it might NOT get thrown out (or it might), as a 2nd claim - see what I mean?

And by the way - the only reason that this current action of mine got onto this website is because someone emailed me personally asking me a few questions. You must each go down the road that suits you best, and I have concluded that, as an adult, this is what I will do.... oh, and - I see only half of my last submitted reply was posted, I did edit a fuller response but it does not appear to be on the page as yet??

Hmm. Despite using an English firm, I'd suggest that for £850 you could have managed it yourself. IF you hadn't shot yourself in the foot by splitting the claim.

I'm still not sure how this is going to work out for you, as YOU are the claimant, and it matters where YOUR address is. I hope it doesn't get to the court stage and you find out things aren't as hunky dory as at first might have appeared. I do hope for you sake that they can run it through the English system.

But as you say, we all have to make choices. And if it works for you, fine. But it really isn't a course of action that I can in all conscience recommend anyone else should contemplate.

I think the key to it is he split it at a time when it was suggested you could do so - not really his fault SH. It think it was only around 2-3 months ago that the message got around these parts to change this process.

One thing I don't know is if a company claims for you whether it's their address or your address that counts....something to consider stepper?

I think in *general* NWNFs are not the answer and whether or not it works for one person doesn't mean it is the route for all. You shouldn't really advise people to use them round these parts because that is not what this site was built for.

Especially when as yet you don't know whether you have been successful.

Sorry for the hounding Stepper, I expect you feel a little hard done by considering you were only offering advice....understand that NWNF are not warmly accepted round these parts so anyone shouting out their praises (when lets face it they are a bag of **** on the whole) will no doubt get their opinion contested by someone ;) Good luck with your £850, hope it works out ok for you.

Seahorse - I honestly do not think you are reading my messages fully - I said at that time there was not much talk of Ordinary Cause, so there was not a great deal of advice and people were doing very well via Summary / Small Claims and going BACK to court for the rest.... this is where the problem now is ... 2nd claims are being thrown out ... as far as shooting myself in the foot is concerned - it was NOT foreseen by anyone as being a future problem, and I am not the only one who lost toes in recent weeks! I am also not sure how my recent attempts are going to work out, lets wait and see. AGAIN, LET ME SAY THIS IS WHAT I AM DOING ... IT IS NOT ADVICE, ITS JUST ANOTHER CHAPTER.