Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Hi BankFodder, thanks for the reply. The firm was T B Plastering & Decorating in Callington, Cornwall.  They have a facebook page which I can't link. We have already sought the advice of a second plasterer. He has seen the work, conrfirmed its way out of any NHBC tolerance and well below the standard of any professional plasterer. We are currently awaiting his quote to remedy the awful quality work, but he has said it will definately involve ripping out and re-boarding two entire window reveals, moving two door frames outwards, possibly new fire-rated cement boards in the fireplace if I cant chip off the non-compliant rubbish which was put on there, and knocking off several blown corners and bodged internal corners. He also confirmed that the whole lot was plastered in one thick coat, rather than two thin skims as normal. This means that as it continues to dry, more cracks will appear as the outer face dries faster than the inner face. Indeed, cracks are still appearing one week on. When I confronted the original plasterer, I gave him several opportunities to get the work sorted, but he just stood there looking shocked saying "What do you want me to do?"  When I replied "I'm not a plasterer, what do you think you can you do?", he just repeated over and over "It's within tolerance, what do you want me to do?" It was clearly going nowhere, so at that point I invited him and his labourer to leave.  
    • negotiate a token payment its already defaulted so will vanish from your file on the DN's 6th b'day. then revise. dx  
    • I owe Nationwide 6K for a credit card that defaulted last year. The debt has just been passed to ARC (Europe) Ltd to collect on nationwide’s behalf. I opened the credit card in 2005 I suspect that Nationwide will not have the credit agreement. I am currently unemployed and likely to stay that way for a while. I have no assets/property/savings. Should I: 1. CCA Nationwide now 2. Stop making payments and wait for letter of claim then CCA nationwide 3. Make token payments for a while in the hope that they sell the debt on and then do 2 4. Something else Thanks in advance for any help. OC: Nationwide DC: ARC (Europe) Ltd Account opened: 2005 Amount owing: 6k Default date: Sept 2023 Date of last payment: Jan 2024
    • That's sounds good to me No news today, I think the returns case times out tomorrow or at midnight tonight. It says I have until today to come to a resolution with the buyer. After that the matter can be escalated. So could be that it's midnight tonight. But no news at the moment
    • Thanks for the advice guys , however I am still at a loss regarding my situation. After a messy divorce some while back , my Sols advised me in writing that although their costs were £XXXX.00 , Legal aid had informed them that my liability was just £XXX.00 and would I like to make a representation to the Court regarding said costs. As I deemed  the figure of  £XXX.00 not excessive I decided not to contend the amount that I owed in Legal aid , which I would have done ( and would have had sound grounds to ask the Court to retrieve the balance of the excessive costs of the divorce from the OP ). I remortgaged my home after the divorce and Legal aid put a second charge on the property , which I assumed was for the £ XXX.00. I cannot quite remember how much , but I offered to pay back an amount each month to pay off the £ XXX.00 , but they refused my offer. I then received annual statements showing the £ XXX.00 owed + interest for 4-5 years , then  statements that I owed £ XXXX.00. I contacted them and after some time they apologised and said they had made a mistake but I still owed them £XXXX.00. Legal aid blamed my Sols for not understanding the principals , however my Sols when told about my liability of just £XXX.00 wrote back to Legal Aid who confirmed for a second time that £XXX.00 was my total liability , before my Sols wrote to me to see if I wanted to make said representations to the Court regarding the costs of the divorce. My questions are - If the initial Legal aid second charge on my home was for £XXX.00 , how can it now be £XXXX.00 ? Also , whilst they are now refusing to remove the second charge on my home unless I pay the £XXXX.00 redemption fee unless they grant me a deed of postponement , what about the fact that their incompetence  prejudiced my decision to not ask the Court to make the other party pay for the excessive costs of the divorce which the other party solely caused ? Thanks , Smolt 
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

Need advice on swifts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



Firstly, I am writing this on behalf of my mother who does nothing and hopes everything will be fine but i am not sitting there doing nothing. Some years ago, my mother got a re-mortgage from swift advances. I know it was not too much but not sure how much it was. When my father got ill and he could not work, she could not afford the repayments. They kept on demanding that so much be paid a week, which she could not afford. Last year they repossessed the family home and the family moved out. I am not bothered about that as it was a really bad neighbourhood and glad to be out of there. But Swifts went to court not only for a repossession order but also a demand for £11,000. I know my mother never borrowed that much and she is a pensioner with not much money. They moved out and never told swifts where they were moving too and they tracked her down this week, sending her letters demanding the full £11,000. They have taken the house and in No way is anyone sending them any more money so i need some advice. The CAB are not much help here as they around here are notorious for not passing on information to relevant parties so i am not wasting my time with them. Any advice as too what can be done please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Slider, are they asking for £11k because there was a shortfall when the house was sold? I would get the agreement and have a look to see at what age your mother was when this loan was sold and over what period of time to pay. How much was it for? How much was repaid? Was there PPI? Is the broker still operating? If you can provide this info first before we ask anything else. I would recommend you make an appointment with the Money Advice Officer at the CAB which can be done at any CAB of your choice but they will need the above info for starters. It's inappropriate lending which must be tackled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a SAR is in order on the OB in order to get all the paperwork needed


Penalty charges as well, might be worth claiming or counter claiming those as well.








The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long ago was the re-mortgage taken out?

When did payments cease?

When was the repo order made?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Link to post
Share on other sites

You also say re-mortgage. Was there another mortgage and repaid by a Swift loan or was there an existing mortgage and a loan taken from Swift secured on the property?


Come back here when you can with any info you have to start the ball rolling then we can explain more about SAR etc.


Have a read of this and there is a section for mortgages sold which run past retirement http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-think-ive-been-mis-sold-my-mortgage-what-can-i-do

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...