• Tweets

• Thank you. Such a good point. They did issue all 3 before I paid though. I only paid one because I didn’t have proof of parking that time, only for two others.    Unfortunately no proof of my appeal as it was just submitted through a form on their website and no copy was sent to me. I only have the reply. I believe I just put something like “we made the honest mistake of using the incorrect parking area on the app” and that’s it. Thanks again for your help. 
    • They are absolute chuckleheads. You paid but because you entered a different car park site also belonging to them they are pursuing you despite them knowing what you had done. It would be very obvious to everyone, including Alliance that your car could not have been in two places at the same time. Thank you for posting the PCN so quickly making it a pity that you appealed since there are so many things wrong with it that you as keeper are not liable to pay the charge. They rarely accept appeals since that would mean they lose money but they have virtually no chance of beating you in Court. Very unlikely that they will take you to Court given the circumstances. Just in case you didn't out yourself as the driver could you please post up your appeal.
    • Jasowter I hope that common sense prevails with Iceland and the whole matter can be successfully ended. I would perhaps not have used a spell checker just to prove the dyslexia 🙂 though it may have made it more difficult to read. I noticed that you haven't uploaded the original PCN .Might not be necessary if the nes from Iceland is good. Otherwise perhaps you could get your son to do it by following the upload instructions so that we can appeal again with the extra ammunition provided by the PCN. Most of them rarely manage to get the wording right which means that you as the keeper are not liable to pay the charge-only the driver is and they do not know the name and address of the driver. So that would put you both in the clear if the PCN is non compliant.
    • Thank you so much. Yes, I wish I had done my research and not paid. It's all for the same car park. Here is one of the original PCNs, they are all the same bar different dates. PCN-22.03.24-1.pdf PCN-22.03.24-2.pdf
    • Hi Clou, Welcome to the Forum and thank you for reading first before you posted. There seems to be many problems with Cornwall and getting a signal to use your a phone which could be why these parking companies don't use alternatives. It is a shame you paid the first one as you would probably have not had to pay that one either.  Was the car park at which you paid the same parking company as the one sending you these PCNs? On the subject of PCNs could you please post them up so we can see if they comply with the Act.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiff industry Director confirms that new fee scale 'could be open to abuse by unscrupulous bailiffs' !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ever since it was known that the government were intending to introduce the 'Interpleader/Third Party' provision into the new regulations it has been my personal opinion that this clause will lead to a significant number of complaints. I am more convinced than ever before of this.

Most seriously was the fact that at the Consultation stage it was made very clear that an enforcement agent would only be able to charge a relatively modest sum (of £110) if goods were to be removed and that this fee would cover all costs including the removal through to the sale of vehicles (or household goods). It was a dreadful shock to discover months ago that enforcement agents would also be able to charge daily STORAGE fees for all goods removed. This was NEVER the intention at Consultation stage and MOJ confirmed that as a direct result of the introduction of the 'Third Party Interpleader' clause that it became necessary to apply STORAGE fees. In other words...all debtors will now be charged daily storage fees as a direct consequence of the introduction of a clause that should in effect on apply to a very small number of debtors !!!

The introduction of daily storage fees will almost certainly lead to enforcement agents finding that the immediate removal of goods is financially very rewarding for the company.

In the past few weeks I have written a number of urgent letters to the Ministry of Justice (and others) as I was aware from conversations with various enforcement companies that they would be looking at 'immediate removal' of goods given that the statutory regulations had been drafted in such a way so as to allow the 'sale fee' (of £110) to be applied to the account at the point when a bailiff 'attended to remove' (in other words..when a call has been made to the office to 'send a removal vehicle'. The current position under the regulations in force today is that this is referred to as an 'aborted van fee' (and highly questionable). Under the new regs, the charging of this fee would be LEGAL.

It would seem that the enforcement industry themselves are now worried that what I had been highlighting for many weeks may well be about to happen !!! Below is a 'word copy' of an article that features in a trade magazine today.

New fees scale ‘could be abused by bailiff firms’

The new simplified fees scale for debt recovery could be open to abuse by unscrupulous bailiffs, according to Alan Wood, director of development at bailiff firm Whyte & Co.

The new fees, which come into effect on 6 April, will apply to all types of non-High Court debt while High Court debt will have its own set of fees. Under the changes there will be three enforcement stages for non-High Court debt: the ‘compliance’ stage fee will be £75; ‘enforcement’ stage fee £235; and ‘sale’ or ‘disposal’ stage £110.

Wood welcomed the new scale,which he believes is more transparent than the myriad fees that debtors used to face. But he warned there was ambiguity over when a bailiff firm would be able to apply the sale stage. “The new regulations are not without their flaws and, as always, the devil is in the detail, or should I say interpretation.”

He said that some firms may operate outside the “spirit” of the new regulations and apply the sale fee at the same time as the enforcement fee on every visit, rather than at the actual point of removal. “The legislation allows for the sale fee to be applied during the enforcement stage, but this should be the exception rather than the rule.Some firms may try to introduce the combining of the two stages as a matter of course.”

Wood urged councils to closely monitor how and when the fees are applied at each stage. “Local authorities should monitor what percentage of cases their bailiff partners are recovering at each stage. If one firm is showing a much higher percentage of cases at sales fee stage compared with other contractors this might suggest they are acting improperly.”

Nasty no other way to describe it, so person on benefits ends up owing £000s, s for the meagre household contents the bailiff takes away as they ignore the rules stating what are exempt goods to claim the storage fees. Are these storage fees set in stone or can the bailiff make them up as he goes along?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

The 'storage' fees are not 'set in stone' and if challenged, the enforcement agent merely must be able to provide evidence that they were charged such fees. This should not provide difficult at all. MOJ should have known that this would happen. The previous fee scale has been open to abuse merely because the draftsmen wrote the regs in such a way that different 'interpretations' could apply. The same (if not worse) has happened all over again.

We now have 'an attending to remove fee' (dressed up as a 'sale fee' that is legally chargeable as outlined above. Legal challenges will be of little use. It hardly matters whether the charging is in the 'spirit' of the regulations.

Exactly, so £110 plus £25 per day for household contents worth £150 at auction is entirely possible under this pigs ear! Nice one MOJ (NOT) it would be unfair to Kermit to describe this as the work of Muppets.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

As now, any storage fees have to reasonably and actually incurred.

What is "Reasonable" £10, 20, 50 per day?

So when the bailiff takes that third party car, the rightful owner may have to find an extra £110, plus all storage fees up to and including the date of the hearing on top of everything else, maybe 30 days of storage?

What is "Reasonable" £10, 20, 50 per day?

Reasonable could be £10 per day for household goods, £20 for a car I would say but that's not the point - 'Actually' is the key word here.

Reasonable could be £10 per day for household goods, £20 for a car I would say but that's not the point - 'Actually' is the key word here.

So "actually" is the fee charged to the bailiff by lets say Lock Stock, or some other storage compound plus VAT for storage? What if the bailiff keeps them in his garage or in a warehouse owned by the bailiffco ?

So a worse case scenario may be if the debtor is from a minimum wage or benefit family faced with council tax payments for the first time, has little of value, the bailiff clears the house goods are worth less than a weeks storage and the £110 sale fee. I know that is extreme but in the past it is exactly the sort of behaviour that the new regs are supposed to be stamping out. looks like it may become worse much worse.

So "actually" is the fee charged to the bailiff by lets say Lock Stock, or some other storage compound plus VAT for storage? What if the bailiff keeps them in his garage or in a warehouse owned by the bailiffco as I have seen some do?

Yes to your first question and I have never heard of what you say in the second.

My thoughts are that if a bailiff stored them in his own garage the fee could be challenged. If he could prove that his garage was insured for such things and he had relevant security then I guess he could charge something.

There is something further that does need mentioning that is vitally important:

Under the new regulations a bailiff MAY (if he wishes) enter into a Controlled Goods Agreement with the debtor. The 'old wording' for this was of course a Walking Possession Agreement. By entering into a Controlled Goods Agreement the debtor will be able to continue to use the goods listed until the debt is paid (assuming of course that there is no default in the agreed payment arrangement).

However, what a lot of people may not realise is that under the Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts Order 1993 it also provided for a FORM 8 Walking Possession Agreement (on more or less identical terms as outlined in the new regs). As many on this forum are aware I do have an outside business and in the past 7 years I can count on one hand the number of times that a bailiff has agreed to a Walking Possession for a motor vehicle (for an unpaid PCN). In reality such an Agreement is a rarity.

Try for a moment to take the place of the enforcement agent. If he were to agree to a Controlled Goods Agreement the fees that he can charge are £75 and £235. If however he removes (or intends to do so) his fee rises by £110 and more attractive is that daily storage fees apply as well. The 'average' daily fee for storage is around £30 (£150 of 5 days, £210 for 7 days or £300 for 10 days).

Debtors must ensure that they engage with the enforcement company at an early stage.

There is something further that does need mentioning that is vitally important:

Under the new regulations a bailiff MAY (if he wishes) enter into a Controlled Goods Agreement with the debtor. The 'old wording' for this was of course a Walking Possession Agreement. By entering into a Controlled Goods Agreement the debtor will be able to continue to use the goods listed until the debt is paid (assuming of course that there is no default in the agreed payment arrangement).

However, what a lot of people may not realise is that under the Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts Order 1993 it also provided for a FORM 8 Walking Possession Agreement (on more or less identical terms as outlined in the new regs). As many on this forum are aware I do have an outside business and in the past 7 years I can count on one hand the number of times that a bailiff has agreed to a Walking Possession for a motor vehicle (for an unpaid PCN). In reality such an Agreement is a rarity.

Try for a moment to take the place of the enforcement agent. If he were to agree to a Controlled Goods Agreement the fees that he can charge are £75 and £235. If however he removes (or intends to do so) his fee rises by £110 and more attractive is that daily storage fees apply as well. The 'average' daily fee for storage is around £30.

More vehicles will be taken away for all types of debt then, including third party, but will the bailiffs be cheeky enough to try to charge the £110 plus storage to the owner before they will release the vehicle even if they accept the proof proffered when the owner turns up at their office, or will they as now still try to charge them to the debtors account? That will be interesting to say the least.

Yes to your first question and I have never heard of what you say in the second.

My thoughts are that if a bailiff stored them in his own garage the fee could be challenged. If he could prove that his garage was insured for such things and he had relevant security then I guess he could charge something.

Thanks HCEOs, I know you work at the ethical end of enforcement,and your opinions and input is valuable but I sometimes go a bit wild with scenarios to try to second guess what stunts the unscrupulous bailiffs will try for a beer token. It looks like in partially solving some issues they have made others. worse. As you rightly indicate your main client base are businesses that won't pay, but many here are private individuals who simply can't pay, it is they that will lose out under the new regime potentially.

Thanks HCEOs, I know you work at the ethical end of enforcement,and your opinions and input is valuable but I sometimes go a bit wild with scenarios to try to second guess what stunts the unscrupulous bailiffs will try for a beer token. It looks like in partially solving some issues they have made others. worse. As you rightly indicate your main client base are businesses that won't pay, but many here are private individuals who simply can't pay, it is they that will lose out under the new regime potentially.

Thank you for your kind words brassnecked.

It could be argued that my industry has indeed been tarnished with what the unscrupulous bailiffs you talk of have done over the years. The very size of that sector of enforcement meant many a rogue could find their way in. And with these new reforms, clearly aimed at the enforcement of LA / HMCTS debt rather than the HCEO/CRAR industry, genuine court judgment creditors and commercial landlords may well find any chance of levying goods to aid the recovery of genuine debt reduce from next Monday.

But we are where we are and the powers that be have chucked everything into one pot (aside from fees).

And yes I wholeheartedly agree that vulnerable debtors need the protection the regulations were intended to give them. But whilst some aspects certainly aid the vulnerable it appears others do not.

It is a shame that the last stages of this long and arduous process of reform had to be rushed to meet Government deadlines. Another 6 months could have seen many of the foibles ironed out.

Ho hum.

There is one thing I have noticed that has cropped up on a regular basis.

It seems to me that the MOJ are making more of the words "Enforcement Agent" and phasing Bailiffs out. I wonder therefore do we need to get a step ahead and rename this Forum to take account of the new procedures.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is one thing I have noticed that has cropped up on a regular basis.

It seems to me that the MOJ are making more of the words "Enforcement Agent" and phasing Bailiffs out. I wonder therefore do we need to get a step ahead and rename this Forum to take account of the new procedures.

Good idea PT, as the term bailiff is redundant from Sunday.

really ?

will private bailiffs be no more ?

It's bailiffs Jim but not as you know them. Apparently they will all be "Enforcement Agents" Either way more nasties to come are popping out of the woodwork

It is not so much that MoJ are using the term 'Enforcement Agent' it is more to do with the fact that the common law rules applicable to 'distress' will effectively be revoked from 6th April.

What this means in reality is that words (or terms) such as ....distress.....levy....walking possession.....impound....distrain and most importantly....the word 'bailiff' will cease to have effect from the above date. Once again.....all of this will be outlined in the 'Practice Note/Guidance' that I have offered to put together for the site team to use as STICKY's . These should all be available over the forthcoming weekend.

Coming back to your question....the forum does indeed need to be renamed to include the word "Enforcement Agent'.

all of this will be outlined in the 'Practice Note/Guidance' that I have offered to put together for the site team to use as STICKY's . These should all be available over the forthcoming weekend.

Thank you. I look forward to it.