preliminary approach email sent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi all,

Thanks spiceskull for the email. just to keep you all up to date i've had the standard response from HD agent 36 ... final paragraph on how A&L can save me money made me laugh out loud given the circumstances!

best

stuart

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have forwarded your query to our Customer Correspondence department, they will be contacting you shortly regarding this.

Kind Regards

Internet Banking Helpdesk

Tel 0845 300 2562

To book an appointment at your local Branch to review your finances and find out more on how we can make and save you money please call us free quoting reference INTO1 on 0800 068 66 99. Alternatively, you can call into your local Branch anytime.

LOL you should put that in quotes from the bank .

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Hi all,

Latest exciting instalment from dear old A&L pasted in quotes below.

They really just don’t get it do they? Letter before action ready to be sent on April 27th.

Good luck to everyone else – and keep the pressure on!!

Stuart

"Dear Dr Shields

I am writing in response to your recent communication and was very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service you have received.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns, we are currently looking into the situation and will be writing to you with a more detailed response.

In the meantime, I am enclosing a leaflet which explains the steps we will take to handle your complaint.

Yours sincerely

Ann Dawes

Customer Services

Hi all

Unfortunately i was unable to resist - so emailed A&L a quick reminder based on the Mcuth fax (hope you don't mind) in response to today's letter.

Should I be enjoying this so much? Have a nice weekend everyone

stuart

Thank you for your letter of 20th April 2006, received today.

In my email of 13th April 2006, I set out that you had 14 days from receipt of that email, i.e. Thursday 27th April 2006, to reply unconditionally accepting my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment of the £286. I also stated that “If you do not respond, or do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a further letter before action allowing a further 14 working days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments. After that will be no further communication from myself and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline”.

In the absence of a satisfactory resolution from yourselves, please note that I will continue to work to this timetable and if needed will commence litigation.

If we are unable to resolve this issue within this timetable, I am highly doubtful that the Financial Ombudsman Service has the ability to rule on the legalities of liquidated damages & punitive charges

See for example

Scottish case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498;

English cases of: Wilson v Love 1896; Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd 1915 AC 79; Ford Motor Co v Armstrong 1915; Bridge v Campbell Discount Co. Ltd 1962; Murray v Leisureplay 2004.

Also, the Financial Ombudsman Service would be unable to rule on unfair terms of contract, see Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083), reference paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2).

I look forward to hearing from you by return.

Yours faithfully,

Stuart Shields

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Apologies for not keeping everyone up to date with what’s been going on but what with the bank holiday and then a house move …

Well I received the by now standard response from A&L to my emails on April 28th with the usual claims about charges clearly being shown in the literature, being in line with our competitors, in the terms and conditions of your account etc. They have also included a paragraph about the OFT statement which I had mentioned in my preliminary approach: “There has been no consultation between the banking industry and the Office of Fair Trading about current accounts. If there is any industry wide consultation on this matter, Alliance & Leicester will participate as appropriate”.

A&L were a bit slow off the mark though as their letter arrived the day after I had sent my LBA. So am now waiting for May 12th to commence action and have been compiling my small claims court file using the material on this website.

More on May 12th or maybe even sooner if the cheque arrives in the post!

Stuart

Hi Stuart, I had the same response from A&L re: the OFT statement not applying to current accounts. I have also sent LBA, with my Moneyclaim due on May 15th. Seems like we're on a similar timescale so will be watching your thread with interest.

cheers and good luck, Paul

Alliance & Leicester, £2944.66 settled in full, donation made!!!

Capitol One (Partner), £475.01 settled in full, donation made!!!

Good luck Stuart - keep at 'em ;)

so emailed A&L a quick reminder based on the Mcuth fax (hope you don't mind) in response to today's letter.

LOL - I didn't notice this before - of course I don't mind at all, all power to your elbow mate :-)

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

Hi all

Latest in the ongoing saga ...

Well my timetable is up tomorrow and i am ready to start with my claim. But in another stunning occurrence of left hand and right hand not knowing what the other's up to we got a letter yesterday May 10th thanking us for our correspondence and confirming that they will look into the issues we have raised and send a full response within 28 days.

They obviously didn’t read the last letter too closely. Will spend tonight preparing my documents for moneyclaim.

Will let you all know of anything that happens.

Stuart

Hi all

Just checked Her majesty's court service website and the claim details are there.

14 days to go!

stuart

The following information relates to your claim:

Claim Description Punitive bank charges

Claim Number 6QZ31173

Status of this Claim Issued

Your claim request has been accepted. The Defendant has 14 days from the date they are served with the claim, to reply.

Hi all

just a quick update - received confirmation letter from money claim on Friday 19th that the time limit for A&L expires on June 4th. However I also received another letter from A&L on Friday basically along the lines … we’ve investigated, there’s nothing wrong with our charges or how we’ve handled the account etc etc but here’s £50 back as a gesture of goodwill. which was nice. I haven’t bothered to respond - just biding time now for the money claim deadline to run down.

Best and good luck to all

Stuart

Hi all,

Received notice on may 25th that acknowledgement of my claim against A&L has been filed. so 28 days to see if they file a defence. i assume that this is yet more delaying tactics but i'm getting my court documentation prepared in case they do want to go to court.

updates as and when ...

stuart

Just to let you all know - our postman delivered a cheque for £370 today from Alliance and Leicester for full repayment of charges, court costs and interest.

Thanks to everyone who has been in touch over the last few weeks to offer encouragement, advice and support. I'll be filling in the survey and making my donation (in online amazon vouchers??) later tonight.

stuart

Congratulations!

The amazon voucher appeal is now closed, but donations can be accepted using the button at the top of the forum.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well done. :D

Don't forget the survey as well.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks