• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Roofer did shoddy work and has now filed court claim against me

Kinger122
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When reading up on insurance backed guarantees I found the following:

If you have issues with the installation work that would normally be resolved under the terms of the installer’s written guarantee, you can claim with GGFi if the installer has ceased to trade due to one of the following reasons:

• Liquidation

• Administration

Bankruptcy

• Receivership

• The death of ALL principal directors of the businesses estates have been declared bankrupt

In keeping with the industry, GGFi insurance policies do not cover instances whereby the installer has retired or simply dissolves the business.

Important – Credit-Cards – If you originally paid any part of your installation with a credit-card then it will not be possible for GGFi to process a claim. In accordance with the Consumer Credit Act, the GGFi insurance policy is superseded by the credit-card insurance policy. In such circumstances, you will need to contact your credit-card provider to discuss your claim.

I was wondering would it be a good idea to pay via credit card and then use the consumer credit act to claim for the money if the roof continues to leak?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always a good idea to pay for anything over £100 by credit card as you're then covered by section 75 of the CCA if there's a problem.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It's always a good idea to pay for anything over £100 by credit card as you're then covered by section 75 of the CCA if there's a problem.

Thanks. so how much comeback would I have and what could I claim for?

As materials are not fitted to manufacturer spec and there is a breach of contract am I still covered?

Thanks. so how much comeback would I have and what could I claim for?

As materials are not fitted to manufacturer spec and there is a breach of contract am I still covered?

Up to £30k. There's a link to section 75 here. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/75

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Actually reading it, it does say an agreement not secured on land, although it doesn't say buildings. You might need to investigate that further.

As I understand it, Kinger is paying for Labour and Materials.

So it should be covered

I think I'm covered. Any other feedback would be appreciated. I think this part is applicable to this case.

"

Section 75 only helps the consumer where there has been either a breach of contract or a misrepresentation by the supplier of the goods and services. These are legal terms. But for the purpose of section 75 and put very simply:

• A breach of contract is where the supplier fails to do what the contract says it must, either expressly or by implication.
    For example, there is a breach of contract where goods that have been paid for are not supplied at all, or are not up to standard.

• A misrepresentation is an incorrect statement of fact that causes the consumer to go ahead with the contract.
    For example, there is misrepresentation if the supplier persuades a consumer to buy an expensive piece of software - by telling him wrongly that it will be compatible with his existing PC operating system.

"Get ya buckets out"

Heavy rain all weekend and into the early part of next week !!!!! :violin:

Just to put a smile on your face. :-D :-D

Good work to day. .... A lot of "ground covered" and some more possible options.

See what the "Legal Crew" think.

F16

Another question for the "Legal Crew"

Can Kinger ask Mr Roofer to put in writing what works were carried out to repair the roof ??

Good luck with your "Squad" of "roofers" at 8.30 tomorrow Kinger.

I bet they send "The Chuckle Brothers" :lol:

Another question for the "Legal Crew"

Can Kinger ask Mr Roofer to put in writing what works were carried out to repair the roof ??

Good luck with your "Squad" of "roofers" at 8.30 tomorrow Kinger.

I bet they send "The Chuckle Brothers" :lol:

Another update. The roofers attended this morning and did not know what work needed to be carried out. They asked me and I told them I was not sure. The roofer climbed on the roof anf inspected the velux windows. The roofer then announced that the flashings were "bone dry" and left shortly afterwards.

Where do I stand legally? Can I go back to the court now as they have not rectified any of the issues. Not even the ones that were mentioned in court, such as the exposed wooden battens and damaged flashings.

Kinger

I gather the roofer is now "suggesting" the leak is coming from the first floor flat roof,

Passing down the "cavity" on to the ground floor new roof under the tiles and on to the tilers felt,

Traveling sideways 4 to 6 M (not down the 13.5 degree pitch) SIDEWAYS

To affect all 3 Veluxes.

Proper clever rain you've got then !!!!

That's the Biggest load of tosh ever.

So I was right.... They sent "The Chuckle Brothers".

There are so many legal Questions as to the next move.

1. If you use a credit card will S75 protect you ?

2. Should you go back to Court now ? (roofer not corrected leaks)

3. Should you pay for "Independent building inspectors report ?

4. Will the report be accepted by the court on this case ? OR do you take the roofer to Court on a new case ?

Kinger

I gather the roofer is now "suggesting" the leak is coming from the first floor flat roof,

Passing down the "cavity" on to the ground floor new roof under the tiles and on to the tilers felt,

Traveling sideways 4 to 6 M (not down the 13.5 degree pitch) SIDEWAYS

To affect all 3 Veluxes.

Proper clever rain you've got then !!!!

That's the Biggest load of tosh ever.

So I was right.... They sent "The Chuckle Brothers".

I will add further to that:

"IF" the "roofer" (In your dreams mate) has got it right.

Then you would have "Water damage and mold" on the walls of the first floor bedroom

below the flat roof.

You may eventually end up with mushrooms growing out of the walls !!!! ....

... Mushrooms live in a dark place and they are fed on Bull$hit.

Just the sort he is "feeding you"

Kinger,

If your mans right "(The roofer)"

Then seriously. ......

It's time I hung up my Hi vis. jacket, hardhat and "Kicked my boots off". ....

And I started "talking to the trees"

I'm "Elvis Presley" If he has got this right !!!!

Kinger

Not entirely sure how the roofer has reached this conclusion or how that would sit with the order. Has it communicated its thoughts to you in writing?

I suppose your next logical step [assuming you are dissatisfied with its explanation] is to apply to vary the order to allow instruction of a SJE. Whether that would be granted is another matter entirely

Kinger

Not entirely sure how the roofer has reached this conclusion or how that would sit with the order. Has it communicated its thoughts to you in writing?

I suppose your next logical step [assuming you are dissatisfied with its explanation] is to apply to vary the order to allow instruction of a SJE. Whether that would be granted is another matter entirely

There has still been no contact made from the roofer. Do I sent them an email asking them why they have not contacted me or shall I just wait? The roofer did not explicitly state that the leak was due to my existing house, but he had mentioned in the past due to the fact that my separate flat roof is due for replacement.

If I were to go down the route of contacting the court, would I mention the expert witness, or just inform the court that the other party has not complied with the order?

I have also contacted Velux today, as the middle electrical window is groaning and creaking badly. It had been a bit jerky when opening and closing initially. They have agreed to send someone out to inspect with regards to the warranty on the window. I am hoping that any report or response they subsequently provide may help if the issue with the window is down to workmanship rather than a warrantable issue.

I think I'd have to email and ask what its intentions are first. Instructing SJE, would have to be on application to carry any weight. You could write to the court per the order but that would leave the matter open for the DJ to dispose of by whatever remedy s/he sees fit.

I think I'd have to email and ask what its intentions are first. Instructing SJE, would have to be on application to carry any weight. You could write to the court per the order but that would leave the matter open for the DJ to dispose of by whatever remedy s/he sees fit.

Hi Mike, Would I be able to claim on section 75 if I paid via credit card if the judge rules in favour of the roofer? I have done some research and I can't find anything to state that I wouldn't be covered.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I mean if it goes back to court and I have to end up paying the roofer despite the pitch not being rectified and building control issuing a certificate

I understood the question but you were asking whether you could use s.75 as a shield and I don't believe it is possible, the other side would have to be in breach of agreement...... in this instance in breach of a court order or judgment

I understood the question but you were asking whether you could use s.75 as a shield and I don't believe it is possible, the other side would have to be in breach of agreement...... in this instance in breach of a court order or judgment

my mistake. So the court order would supersede the initial contract with the roofer, even if the roof was still leaking after full payment was made?

my mistake. So the court order would supersede the initial contract with the roofer, even if the roof was still leaking after full payment was made?

Yup, that would be my understanding........ much the same as the myriad of regulated cases on here.

Correct me if I'm wrong. (I don't do legal. ... So if I come across as a "Bone head" sorry !!! )

At the moment the roof is still leaking.

So the roofer has not "complied" with the Court order on 3 counts.

1. The roof is not repaired.

2. Building control can not sign the roof off until it stops leaking. (is repaired)

3. Insurance certificate can not be issued due to the above 2 points.

Lets "assume" that the roof was repaired and all 3 above were complied with.

Would S75 cover Kinger on the fact that materials are not fitted to manufactures spec ???

Correct me if I'm wrong. (I don't do legal. ... So if I come across as a "Bone head" sorry !!! )

At the moment the roof is still leaking.

So the roofer has not "complied" with the Court order on 3 counts.

1. The roof is not repaired.

2. Building control can not sign the roof off until it stops leaking. (is repaired)

3. Insurance certificate can not be issued due to the above 2 points.

Lets "assume" that the roof was repaired and all 3 above were complied with.

Would S75 cover Kinger on the fact that materials are not fitted to manufactures spec ???

I cant understand how the court order affects the credit card. Whether I paid in the beginning ot paid after a judge instructed surely is irrelevant? Im thinking this as section 75 covers you due to poor workmanship/faulty goods. The instruction to pay by a court would surely be separate and how would things be any different had I just paid up in the beginning to then have problems with the roof after?

If a court says that the work is ok, you could not claim under section 75 that it wasn't. Doesn't matter if the court order is wrong, that is what would count above your opinion (even if your opinion is correct). You would need the court to agree with you and it would be up to the court to decide what should or shouldn't be paid. You can't use one law, and if you don't like the outcome of that, use another to get your own way. It doesn't work like that. You'd need the court to decide differently.