• Tweets

• Incorrect as the debt will have been legally assigned to the DCA and they are therefore now the legal creditor. Read up on debt assignment.   Andy
    • Thanks Man in the Middle and everyone it's greatly appreciated form was filled in online yesterday now just have to wait and see
    • Hi,    I'm almost done. One question is should I include a header with " Claimant's Trial Documents" or something similar and include a copy of my WX from the trial since that has the claim form defence and documents that were relied upon at trial so that the judge can see that? or should I assume they will already have those documents on the file and so simply include a short statement of case to show the case I intend to prove at the appeal should permission be granted. Since I've made a shorter concise statement of case setting out what I intend to prove at an appeal hearing I'm thinking maybe removing the header of "Documents/Exhibits for use for Permission to Appeal   " since the permission to appeal focuses on the grounds of law and so I'm thinking of just having   Appellant's documents Statement Of Case Skeleton Argument    Then a seperate category named Trial Documents Claim Form Defence Claimant's Witness statement Exhibibts to Claimant's trial witness statement   I'm wondering you think would be better, only because I don't reference a single exhibit in my appeal statement of case since I am just explaining the undeveloped points of law around why the judge is wrong since the  statement only focuses on permission, not the outcome of the appeal so there is no reference to any exhibits?   Or should I just remove exhibits and not add trial documents or exhibits on the understanding the judge will already have the trial documents and that if permission is granted I then include them in my appeal bundle.   Thanks   N/B My statement of case doesn't have the claim form or defence or any witness staements in. it is simply a short 4 page document setting out the claim history and the points I intend to prove at the final appeal hearing should permission be granted.
    • Tory MPs didn't expect a July GE - and now they're furious. Tory MPs didn’t expect a July general election – and now they are rightly furious | Henry Hill | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Sunak’s party has plunged into a short campaign without a plan, says Henry Hill, the deputy editor of ConservativeHome  
    • What's the plan, @Reapstar? Perhaps you could update us on what's happened please. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

R60nda V First Direct

r60nda
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I sent the first letter off to First Direct on Wednesday 18th October with my £10 cheque for the statements, I received a letter back from them on Friday 20th returning my cheque and saying that they will get the information sent to me.... :)

Does anyone know if First Direct have closed anyone's bank account?

Thanks

R60nda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Right went through all the statements last night - crikey I've wasted some money over the years anyway I used the spreadsheet from the library where it also calculates the 8% so:

My charges come to: £3664.99

With the 8%: £951.08

Total: £4616.07

What I've claimed back is the Interest, Overdraft fee, excess overdraft fee and any recalled or unpaid items.. Please could someone just confirm that, that is correct before I send it off to them.

Thanks for your help :)

You DON'T include the 8% interest in youre initial claim. As it says in the FAQs etc, you only add the 8% on if/when you start a court claim.

"What I've claimed back is the Interest, Overdraft fee, excess overdraft fee and any recalled or unpaid items.. Please could someone just confirm that, that is correct before I send it off to them."

Just to confirm, you claim back Overdraft Fees, Excess Overdraft fees, the proportion of the debit interest charged caused by the fees, and any charges due to items being returned or unpaid - not the unpaid/returned items themselves.

Thanks G8 Summit, I'll change the spreadsheet and take out the 8% for this stage, the rest is ok as it is just the charges i.e. £37.50 for unpaid items etc. So the amount I'll be claiming back is £3664.99

Here we go....

I'm just in the process of typing out the preliminary approach for repayment letter and under what I require it says:

Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record......

How do I know if this has happened? Do I still put this in the letter?

Thanks for your help

R60nda

Only put this in the letter if you have been defaulted. You would need to get a copy of your credit record from a Credit Reference Agency to confirm this.

From your first post I assume you are still using the account with FD; if this is the case they almost certainly won't have defaulted you though - because they would probably be asking you to stop using/close the account if they default you.

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I sent of my preliminary approach letter and got the standard reply back from Lesley Gibbon on the 21 November saying sorry I've had cause to complain and that I would receive a reply certainly within the next 10 working days. As yet I've not heard anything from them... I take it the next stage is to send the Letter Before Action...

Please could someone confirm?

Cheers guys

Yes an LBA is your next step. Also stick to your timescales and send that LBA 14 days after your first letter.

This is your claim and it is not up for the back to change timescales without asking first. By saying they will get back in 10 dyas they show no respect to your request and is another subtle bullying technique.

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) posted FD 26th October

£10 cheque returned and letter received 1st November

Statements awaited

Statements recieved 23rd Nov 2006

Request for payment £444 sent 23rd Nov 2006

I got home yesterday to find a letter from John Ruane in Customer Relations saying that FD doesn't agree that the charges are unlawful blahdy blahdy blah... anyway because I hadn't heard from them I had just sent of my LBA.... I'm presuming now that I shall just go to the MCOL stage then and not wait any more? is that right?

Thanks

Hi r60nda,

Your claim and mine must be running side-by-side, as I sent my LBA on the fourth. I have received an offer today though, and am sending a rejection letter tomorrow, which I have copied onto my thread at Roger66 vs First Direct.

I have added a few bits to the original template, and you wouldn't have to include them, but I feel like baiting them a bit to prove I'm serious.:)

Roger66

Hi Roger

Yes I've just read your thread... stick to your guns I think is the general message throughout and that we need to remember that they have taken OUR money and we want it ALL back..

Hmm, they will have definitely received my LBA now so it will be interesting then if I receive a form of offer from them, but like you I anticipate that I will end up going to the MCOL stage...

R

i also must have a claim for £3665 running by the side of yours, 1st letter they took about 56 days to reply and kept blaming DHL! the next letter recieved a standard response.. they didnt feel they had overcharged me and I should check my terms and conditions blah blah blah.. I have just recieved a response for my LBA, same crappy response as first time and if I wanted to complain to the OFT I should and they even included a leaflet to help me!

So off to court we go I guess .. I will keep you posted with the result and best of luck to you guys.

First Direct -taking to court for £4455 on 14/12/06

Capital one: data request 12/12/06

MBNA data request 12/12/06

Hi everyone

Well I got home yesterday to find a letter from Deborah Malins, without prejudice etc and without any admission of liability whatsoever offering me £2909. I tell you I had a huge grin on my face... The letter did say that they were not willing to refund the interest as it related to my unauthorised borrowing... My claim is for £3483.50 so I'm £574.50 short of this and the interest is £181.49....

So my question to you is should I accept the £2909 as part payment but still stay that I'm going to pursue the £574.50 and still go to the MCOL stage?

Cheers

R

Hi r60nda,

I got a similar offer, a few hundred quid less than yours, and I altered the acceptance letter to say 'part settlement' crossing out 'full and final' and sent the thanks but no thanks letter from templates with it.

They haven't written back to tell me when I can have the part settlement yet;)

I can't understand why.......................

Roger.

FD never send partial settlements, unlike some others... but don't let that stop you from going to MCOL stage!

___

You can send them a letter accepting the offer as part settlement, but they won't actually send you the money until you agree to a full settlement.

___

Hi everyone

After receiving FD's offer of £2909, I sent them a letter on the 13 respectfully declining this and asking for the full amount of £3,483.50 and that they have up until the 20 December to return the full amount otherwise i will go to the MCOL stage. As yet I've heard nothing.. I'll keep you posted..

R

Hiya!

I sent the first letter to FD requesting my statements on the 12th....I haven't yet received the cheque/letter back as yet that people seem to be getting..I am wondering if its the Christmas post and all that....How long did it take people to get the statments??