• Tweets

• good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • The clock is ticking for savings providers. They now have just a few weeks left to get their act together and start offering loyal customers a good deal.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Repossession questioned by deeds not being signed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lamb's appeal argument, put as simply as possible, was that her mortgage was null and void for want of statutory formality because it was signed by the borrower only and not the lender (as is the case with the vast majority of mortgage deeds) and as such it did not comply with LP(MP)A; therefore the mortgage did not exist at law and so could not be completed by registration as required by LRA; and thus it was not binding on the borrower.

In short, His Honour Judge Butler's reasoning was that mortgages are not within the scope of section 2 LP(MP)A at all. That section is concerned with contracts for the creation of a disposition in land, whereas a mortgage is itself actually a disposition in land [2]. The relevant statutory provision for a mortgage, being section 53 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (LPA), does not require every term to be included in a document signed by both parties, rather the document just needs to be signed by "the person creating or disposing of the interest" (i.e. the mortgagor/borrower). The judge also explained that section 27 LRA does not go so far as to say that a disposition required to be completed by registration (such as a mortgage) is created by registration and that it does not therefore exist or operate in equity before registration.

I am now able to post links

http://www.walkermorris.co.uk/business-insights/social-medias-mortgage-revolution-does-not-materialise

It does not specify which document was not signed by the lender - the deed or the agreement. Im guessing the deed... So its a legal fact that the mortgage is the actual disposition. However the mortgage "offer" or other "contract" signed by the borrower ahead of the deed is the "contract for the creation of the future disposition/mortgage". The judge appears to have completely overlooked the following rule in reaching a verdict...

Land Registration Act 2002 section 91: the requirement for a disposition (the charge/deed) classified according to section (2)(b) to be (4)(a) in writing, and (4)(b) signed by each individual, and sealed by each corporation whose electronic signature it has. Please note also (5) A document to which this section applies is to be regarded for the purposes of any enactment as a deed.

I have checked with the Land Registry who have confirmed that for registration purposes the deed and the charge are the same article.

Can't argue with that, really....

And lets remember:

Helden v Strathmore Ltd [2011] 2 EGLR 39. http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2011/542.html [27] "Section 2 is concerned with contracts for the creation or sale of legal estates or interests in land, not with documents which actually create or transfer such estates or interests. A contract to transfer a freehold or a lease in the future, a contract to grant a lease in the future or a contract for a mortgage in the future are all within the reach of the section, provided of course that the ultimate subject matter is land. However, an actual transfer, conveyance or assignment, an actual lease, or an actual mortgage are not within the scope of section 2 at all".

There are two entities present here. The contract and the mortgage. Borrowers will lose as long as they confuse them. My own mortgage "offer" terms and conditions specifically references the terms and conditions to be used for the "future mortgage" as a clear demonstration that the former is a contract for a mortgage in the future. It is clear there was an intention here to form a contract for the creation of the mortgage which never materialised due to lender's oversight...

Edited by UNRAM

I only posted the case for information purposes. I did not post it to get into a lengthy debate about this topic.

However three things do strike me immediately from your post

- The word mortgage is used incorrectly on a daily basis. People say that they are applying for a mortgage or they have a mortgage with bank x or bank y. A mortgage is actually something that we give to the banks, as security for a loan to buy our homes.

The mortgage agreement is really nothing more than a loan agreement, the charge is the mortgage and the charge is granted using a deed. I am sure you know all this already and by no means do I wish to teach anyone to suck eggs.

I appreciate that my word or explanation may not be sufficient to satisfy you.The below is a transcript of a hearing held in January, before the judgement made as previously detailed. Paragraph 8 confirms that it is the mortgage deed that has not been signed by the lender.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/144639277/1PB48636-c-THU-09-MAY-2013-1423a-at-BLACKPOOL-County-Court-HHJ-BUTLER-Judgment-PDF-TUE-15-JAN-2013-TMB-LAMB-Void-Mortgage-Orders

- "signed by each individual, and sealed by each corporation whose electronic signature it has" If my memory serves me correctly, you have a copy of your mortgage deed, does it have any electronic signatures ? If not, is section 91 relevant ?

- "However, an actual transfer, conveyance or assignment, an actual lease, or an actual mortgage are not within the scope of section 2 at all" The last few words or an actual mortgage are not within the scope of section 2 at all, do stand out to clarify that section 2 does not apply to an actual mortgage.

The reference to Thompson v Foy [2009] EWHC 1076 and section 27 may provide you with the answer to your question

Jerry

Edited by Jeremy Belknap

I only posted the case for information purposes. I did not post it to get into a lengthy debate about this topic.

However three things do strike me immediately from your post

- The word mortgage is used incorrectly on a daily basis. People say that they are applying for a mortgage or they have a mortgage with bank x or bank y. A mortgage is actually something that we give to the banks, as security for a loan to buy our homes.

The mortgage agreement is really nothing more than a loan agreement, the charge is the mortgage and the charge is granted using a deed. I am sure you know all this already and by no means do I wish to teach anyone to suck eggs.

I appreciate that my word or explanation may not be sufficient to satisfy you.The below is a transcript of a hearing held in January, before the judgement made as previously detailed. Paragraph 8 confirms that it is the mortgage deed that has not been signed by the lender.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/144639277/1PB48636-c-THU-09-MAY-2013-1423a-at-BLACKPOOL-County-Court-HHJ-BUTLER-Judgment-PDF-TUE-15-JAN-2013-TMB-LAMB-Void-Mortgage-Orders

- "signed by each individual, and sealed by each corporation whose electronic signature it has" If my memory serves me correctly, you have a copy of your mortgage deed, does it have any electronic signatures ? If not, is section 91 relevant ?

- "However, an actual transfer, conveyance or assignment, an actual lease, or an actual mortgage are not within the scope of section 2 at all" The last few words or an actual mortgage are not within the scope of section 2 at all, do stand out to clarify that section 2 does not apply to an actual mortgage.

The reference to Thompson v Foy [2009] EWHC 1076 and section 27 may provide you with the answer to your question

Jerry

"If not, is section 91 relevant ?"

...relevant insofar that the document meets the description in section 2.

"...do stand out to clarify that section 2 does not apply to an actual mortgage"

I agree with this statement which does not conflict with my own prior assertion that LPMPA1989(2) applies only to the contract for the future mortgage i.e. the offer/agreement/contract document that explicitly defines the terms and conditions of the actual mortgage as a disposition to be granted. Helden v Strathmore Ltd [2011] 2 EGLR 39. Please do not feel any need to reply if you do not want to enter into debate.

I for one do not think this is for real , I asked if this is posted by some one with another name before ?

I will post up later what a lot of the legal teams are saying about this judgement and the reason why it was given and that is " FLOOD GATES " of claims and every thing that comes with that

But the LAW is the LAW and its how the judge Interprets it and you are aware of the appeal?

I for one do not think this is for real , I asked if this is posted by some one with another name before ?

I will post up later what a lot of the legal teams are saying about this judgement and the reason why it was given and that is " FLOOD GATES " of claims and every thing that comes with that

But the LAW is the LAW and its how the judge Interprets it and you are aware of the appeal?

I would answer your question in the negative. The case was not posted by someone with another name before.

Whilst I can understand your attitude towards anyone that posts something that disagrees with your beliefs, I would ask you to show and demonstrate at the very least mutual respect. I was mistaken and believed that you and others would want to be made aware of such a case. It is not a mistake I intend to repeat.

Jerry

Edited by Jeremy Belknap

"If not, is section 91 relevant ?"

...relevant insofar that the document meets the description in section 2.

"...do stand out to clarify that section 2 does not apply to an actual mortgage"

I agree with this statement which does not conflict with my own prior assertion that LPMPA1989(2) applies only to the contract for the future mortgage i.e. the offer/agreement/contract document that explicitly defines the terms and conditions of the actual mortgage as a disposition to be granted. Helden v Strathmore Ltd [2011] 2 EGLR 39. Please do not feel any need to reply if you do not want to enter into debate.

The link to an earlier hearing at paragraph 24 may clarify this for you

Jerry

This is really what its about

If found to be correct, the argument would obviously be of major concern to mortgage lenders and would require an urgent and whole-scale review of existing and future residential property mortgage investments.

STRAY FOCUS PEOPLE

.Fisher and Lightwood's Law of Mortgage [2010] 13th edition, page # 41 & 42, para # 3.6 states: "... Defective legal mortgage ... A document, which for some defect or form (but which is otherwise valid), fails to take effect as a legal mortgage will, subject to what follows, will be a good equitable mortgage. The basis of this is the court's power specifically to perform a contract to create a legal interest in land. However, for an informally executed legal mortgage, made after 27th September 1989 to take effect as an equitable mortgage, it must nonetheless comply with the provisions of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989, s2 in relation to the formalities required for the creation of an equitable mortgage ... Moreover, as informally executed mortgages are frequently executed only by the mortgagor, this may result in many such mortgages not creating any contract and security interest at all ... To be an equitable mortgage, the instrument must comply with s.2 of the 1989; United bank of Kuwait -v- Sahib [1997] CH 107 CA. This in turn means that the document must bear the signatures of both parties. Compliance with the requirements of the Law of Property Act 1925 s53(1)a), which provides that only the signature of the person disposing of the equitable interest (i.e. the mortgagor) is insufficient ..."

Edited by IS IT ME?
missing text

and theres

FISHER AND LIGHTWOOD’S LAW OF MORTGAGE [2010] affirms, at page #71 paragraph #6.6, the null & void status of equitable charges on land absent lawful ‘disposition-registration’:-

“… An instrument which creates an equitable charge and contains an agreement to create a legal charge, but fails to comply with the formalities for a legal mortgage on land {see SAHIB [1996]}, will still create a valid equitable charge {the agreement would, however, have to comply with the provisions of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989 s.2} …

… An agreement to create a charge which fails to comply with the requirements of the law will not take effect as an equitable charge as being the immediate disposition of an equitable interest in land in accordance with the Law of Property Act 1925 s.53(1)(c )

so again all this is wrong and you are right, please not another one

If during your hearing it is your intention to rely on the above and and references to United Bank of Kuwait v Sahib , I feel compelled to ensure you are aware that in that case there was no mortgage deed.

To my knowledge this thread does not rely on UBK vs Sahib. Im happy to be challenged on this point...

To my knowledge this thread does not rely on UBK vs Sahib. Im happy to be challenged on this point...

I was referring to the comments made by is it me? both of which relied upon United Bank of Kuwait v Sahib, a case about the deposit of title deeds

This is really what its about

If found to be correct, the argument would obviously be of major concern to mortgage lenders and would require an urgent and whole-scale review of existing and future residential property mortgage investments.

STRAY FOCUS PEOPLE

.Fisher and Lightwood's Law of Mortgage [2010] 13th edition, page # 41 & 42, para # 3.6 states: "... Defective legal mortgage ... A document, which for some defect or form (but which is otherwise valid), fails to take effect as a legal mortgage will, subject to what follows, will be a good equitable mortgage. The basis of this is the court's power specifically to perform a contract to create a legal interest in land. However, for an informally executed legal mortgage, made after 27th September 1989 to take effect as an equitable mortgage, it must nonetheless comply with the provisions of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989, s2 in relation to the formalities required for the creation of an equitable mortgage ... Moreover, as informally executed mortgages are frequently executed only by the mortgagor, this may result in many such mortgages not creating any contract and security interest at all ... To be an equitable mortgage, the instrument must comply with s.2 of the 1989; United bank of Kuwait -v- Sahib [1997] CH 107 CA. This in turn means that the document must bear the signatures of both parties. Compliance with the requirements of the Law of Property Act 1925 s53(1)a), which provides that only the signature of the person disposing of the equitable interest (i.e. the mortgagor) is insufficient ..."

and theres

FISHER AND LIGHTWOOD’S LAW OF MORTGAGE [2010] affirms, at page #71 paragraph #6.6, the null & void status of equitable charges on land absent lawful ‘disposition-registration’:-

“… An instrument which creates an equitable charge and contains an agreement to create a legal charge, but fails to comply with the formalities for a legal mortgage on land {see SAHIB [1996]}, will still create a valid equitable charge {the agreement would, however, have to comply with the provisions of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989 s.2} …

… An agreement to create a charge which fails to comply with the requirements of the law will not take effect as an equitable charge as being the immediate disposition of an equitable interest in land in accordance with the Law of Property Act 1925 s.53(1)(c )

so again all this is wrong and you are right, please not another one

Jerry

Re: The recent case of The Mortgage Business Plc v Lamb [1] reported here

http://www.walkermorris.co.uk/business-insights/social-medias-mortgage-revolution-does-not-materialise

"The judge also explained that section 27 LRA does not go so far as to say that a disposition required to be completed by registration (such as a mortgage) is created by registration and that it does not therefore exist or operate in equity before registration."

Can anyone offer an interpretation of this please? Why would the judge bother saying that it doesn't exist when the law states simply "it does not operate at law until registered?

The law: LRA2002 27 Dispositions required to be registered

(1)If a disposition of a registered estate or registered charge is required to be completed by registration, it does not operate at law until the relevant registration requirements are met.

What's the judges point?

The point to which I attempted to raise was that the agreement is a contract for a disposition whereas, a deed is the actual disposition

Jerry

agreed. the contract, with whatever label it is given, is required to meet the form defined in LPMPA1989 section 2 (if it exists). If it doesn't there is essentially no simple contract for the future mortgage (disposition), and, bar the assertions made in this thread regarding amendments made after this case - we are back to Eagle Star vs Green & Anor...

More from the report: "Lamb's appeal argument, put as simply as possible, was that her mortgage was null and void for want of statutory formality because it was signed by the borrower only and not the lender (as is the case with the vast majority of mortgage deeds) and as such it did not comply with LP(MP)A; therefore the mortgage did not exist at law and so could not be completed by registration as required by LRA; and thus it was not binding on the borrower."

I am guessing by "mortgage" they refer to "charge/deed" and not "contract". This is a repeat case of Eagle Star vs G&A is it not?

Edited by UNRAM

Re: The recent case of The Mortgage Business Plc v Lamb [1] reported here

"The judge also explained that section 27 LRA does not go so far as to say that a disposition required to be completed by registration (such as a mortgage) is created by registration and that it does not therefore exist or operate in equity before registration."

Can anyone offer an interpretation of this please? Why would the judge bother saying that it doesn't exist when the law states simply "it does not operate at law until registered?

The law: LRA2002 27 Dispositions required to be registered

(1)If a disposition of a registered estate or registered charge is required to be completed by registration, it does not operate at law until the relevant registration requirements are met.

What's the judges point?

The Judge referred to the following case Thompson v Foy [2009] EWHC 1076 (Ch) (20 May 2009)

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2009/1076.html#para144

121. Mr Wood argued that the time at which a registrable disposition takes place is the time at which it is registered. That, he said, follows from the rule in section 27 (1) that such a disposition only operates in law from the date of registration. Accordingly, on the facts of the present case the only relevant date for deciding whether Mrs Thompson's right to set aside the transaction was protected is 10 April 2007. I reject this submission. First, section 27 (2) (f) identifies the disposition as the grant of a legal charge, not its completion by registration. Second, the language of section 29 (1) contemplates that the time of the disposition and the time of registration may be different (even though this may change, for practical purposes, once e-conveyancing comes into being). The relevant interest must be one which affects the charge at the date of the disposition. Third, Schedule 3 paragraph 2 © contemplates an inspection at the time of the disposition. Thus must mean an inspection at the date when the legal documents are executed and the money is released. In my judgment, on the facts of this case the date of the disposition was 5 April 2007. Accordingly, if actual occupation must exist at one date only, then in my judgment the date of the disposition (5 April) is the relevant date.

Jerry

agreed. the contract, with whatever label it is given, is required to meet the form defined in LPMPA1989 section 2 (if it exists). If it doesn't there is essentially no simple contract for the future mortgage (disposition), and, bar the assertions made in this thread regarding amendments made after this case - we are back to Eagle Star vs Green & Anor...

More from the report: "Lamb's appeal argument, put as simply as possible, was that her mortgage was null and void for want of statutory formality because it was signed by the borrower only and not the lender (as is the case with the vast majority of mortgage deeds) and as such it did not comply with LP(MP)A; therefore the mortgage did not exist at law and so could not be completed by registration as required by LRA; and thus it was not binding on the borrower."

I am guessing by "mortgage" they refer to "charge/deed" and not "contract". This is a repeat case of Eagle Star vs G&A is it not?

Your guess appears to be correct

At paragraph 13 http://www.scribd.com/doc/144639277/1PB48636-c-THU-09-MAY-2013-1423a-at-BLACKPOOL-County-Court-HHJ-BUTLER-Judgment-PDF-TUE-15-JAN-2013-TMB-LAMB-Void-Mortgage-Orders

" In simple terms, as I understand it now, the argument goes that the mortgage deed upon which the respondent relies, which is the document signed by Mr Hellak and Mrs Lamb, the document dated 10th August 2007 by the respondents, the deed undoubtedly that they executed in the presence of a witness, which on traditional analysis is the mortgage deed - it describes it self as “This mortgage deed”and which asserts that thereby the borrower charges the relevant property and which includes a request for an entry on the Register, is not in fact the mortgage.

That, having regard to the provisions of section 27 of the Land Registration Act 2002, perhaps inadvertently and unintentionally, Parliament has introduced a provision which makes this document of itself no longer the mortgage. The argument carefully put by Mr Fergus, and I hope I understand it in substance, is that the reality is that a mortgage is only now created and enforceable at law once it is properly and duly registered and that which must be properly and duly registered is a contract to create a mortgage contract, and the contract by reason of section 2 of the 1989 Act should be signed not only by the borrowers, but by the lender. It is not a deed of course: it is a contract, so it has to have both parties as signatories to it."

Jerry

At paragraph 13 http://www.scribd.com/doc/144639277/1PB48636-c-THU-09-MAY-2013-1423a-at-BLACKPOOL-County-Court-HHJ-BUTLER-Judgment-PDF-TUE-15-JAN-2013-TMB-LAMB-Void-Mortgage-Orders

" In simple terms, as I understand it now, the argument goes that the mortgage deed upon which the respondent relies, which is the document signed by Mr Hellak and Mrs Lamb, the document dated 10th August 2007 by the respondents, the deed undoubtedly that they executed in the presence of a witness, which on traditional analysis is the mortgage deed - it describes it self as “This mortgage deed”and which asserts that thereby the borrower charges the relevant property and which includes a request for an entry on the Register, is not in fact the mortgage. ...

Jerry

I also agree with you that there is a lot of confusion over what a mortgage really is. The most interesting I thing I have discovered from this is that the mortgagor is a "purchaser" of a mortgage... This seriously challenges the (my) assumption of the borrower/lender relationship... to one of purchaser/service provider...

Edited by UNRAM

" In simple terms, as I understand it now, the argument goes that the mortgage deed upon which the respondent relies, which is the document signed by Mr Hellak and Mrs Lamb, the document dated 10th August 2007 by the respondents, the deed undoubtedly that they executed in the presence of a witness, which on traditional analysis is the mortgage deed - it describes it self as “This mortgage deed”and which asserts that thereby the borrower charges the relevant property and which includes a request for an entry on the Register, is not in fact the mortgage.

That, having regard to the provisions of section 27 of the Land Registration Act 2002, perhaps inadvertently and unintentionally, Parliament has introduced a provision which makes this document of itself no longer the mortgage. The argument carefully put by Mr Fergus, and I hope I understand it in substance, is that the reality is that a mortgage is only now created and enforceable at law once it is properly and duly registered and that which must be properly and duly registered is a contract to create a mortgage contract, and the contract by reason of section 2 of the 1989 Act should be signed not only by the borrowers, but by the lender. It is not a deed of course: it is a contract, so it has to have both parties as signatories to it."

Jerry

Fergus' statements were misguided. The contract is not registered. The deed is registered. The Land Registry refer to the deed and the charge interchangeably. There is no seperate charge.

Edited by UNRAM

ref: http://www.scribd.com/doc/144639277/1PB48636-c-THU-09-MAY-2013-1423a-at-BLACKPOOL-County-Court-HHJ-BUTLER-Judgment-PDF-TUE-15-JAN-2013-TMB-LAMB-Void-Mortgage-Orders

“There then appears to be an argument with regard to section 2 of the Lawof Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989. I have before me the case of Helden v Strathmore Ltd [2011] EWCA Civ 542, which makes it clear tome that section does not apply to this particular mortgage. It was not acharge for the future. Even if it were signed technically three or four days before completion took place, that was to enable the matters to be perfectedon the day and authority was effectively given to the solicitors to do that, so again I find no compelling reason as to why that argument should succeed at trial.”

Mistake: Helden referred to contracts for a charge in the future, not a charge in the future as stated above...

"A contract for amortgage in the future, he said, would be within the reach of section 2. An actual mortgage would not. They held in that case that the document in Mr Helden’s case was an actual disposition. Accordingly, section 2 did not apply and the reference tosection 53 of the Law of Property Act in that very same case was not relevant".

Conclusion: Any borrower referring to their deed as their contract is destined for a fall... The simple contract (requiring the signatures pursuant to UK law) for the future disposition is the mortgage offer not the deed... It even defines the terms and conditions that will be applied to the future disposition.

Edited by UNRAM

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks