• Tweets

• I don't think they even deserve a reply...    We do have a solid case don't we?? Even though mum corgot the pop that time??
    • To start, my address both on my logbook and with the DVLA are correct.  The first I knew of the bus lane fine was when a woman on another floor in my building posted a photo of a letter addressed to me but with her address on it, on the building's facebook group. I obviously recognised my name so contacted her. She said she'd been receiving these letters for me for months but only asked in the group if anyone knew me when the bailiffs were at her door.  I contacted the debt collection agency and Manchester Council and was told to appeal. So I did and explained what happened said I was more than willing to pay the original fine but its now at over £400 and I would have paid straight away if the letters had gone to the correct address. Months have passed and I have just been told (with no reason) that my appeal was unsuccessful and I need to pay the full amount.  Any help would be appreciated! It just seems so unfair!
    • Exactly right Bank!  I had an email this morning from HM Courts and Tribunals Service Civil Money Claims: Dear Mr xxxx Claim number: 527MCxxx Parcel2Go.com has been given an extra 14 days to respond to your claim. They need to respond to your claim before 4pm on 4 June 2024.  Anyone would think you've been through this before!
    • OK, understood. The second decision to make, given PE are wobbling, would be whether to reply to them (well after 8 May to show you're not scared of them), ridicule their offer which is no offer at all, and ask them to make a serious attempt to settle.  You never know, they might offer a few quid as an out-of.court settlement and it might save your mum having to do court. Just an idea.  Something to consider.
    • If we are sure we have a valid case, she's ready to go to court. Her sister is going with to help with her hearing difficulties,  so we might as well see it through!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Discretionary payment application

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am disabled and moved From IB to ESA support group but have been placed into contribution based ESA.

I have now lost cold weather payments,Warm home discount,Budgiting loans ,In fact most extra help has been taken away from me.

I now have to find £12 a week rent and £20 a month council tax.

I have now due to the changes ended up in fuel poverty.

I cannot afford to pay the extra bedroom tax and council tax.

I have written down the above in the Discretionary payment application.

My question is do the council have the right to ask for my weekly income & expenditure statement.

They are well aware of my benefits as I have to produce documents to them to claim housing benefit and council tax.I have my esa and thats it.It just seems so degrading to have to list every penny I spend.And certainly If a DCA asked for this information in the past I have told them to go take a run and jump,

If you don't have excessive savings, other income, etc, then contact your DWP BDC and enquire if you should be on Income Related ESA and not contribution based. The BDC telephone number is on the letters you would have received from the DWP regarding ESA.

Thanks for your reply RaeUKBut I have been told all new claiments of esa have a year in contribution based ESA anyway.

And as I am in the support group I will be stuck in this for ever as there is no time limit for esa contribution rate if you are in the support group.

I am now doomed to cold wintwers without help,

So much for the con dems mantra of no one will be worse of when migrating from IB to Esa.

No sorry Nystagmite but you can only get the enhanced disability premium,

If you are in receipt of income basrd ESA. I am on contribution based,And will be untill I am 65 or they take it off me.

I went onto contribution based esa in november and no cold weather payments this winter,Lost the right to free specatcles.

Lost entitlement to Warm home discount,Budgiting loans ,In fact most extra help has been taken away from me.

Totally screwed by the con dems

But why did you go onto contribution based? That's what doesn't make sense because that means you have more than the Government says you need to live off coming in, be that extra income, private pension, mahoosive savings etc. This would be at odds to what you are saying about your current hardship ...

You are automatically placed into contribution based when you migrate from incapacity to ESA

I have not worked for a while but my stamps have been paid so I am put onto contribution based.

I have no say in this whatsoever.If you are put into the WRAG group you get esa contribution based for 365 days then you go onto income based if you qualify.

However if you are in the support group then its tuff as you stay on contribution based wether you like it or not.

So I now have to heat or eat in the winter months due to not having a qualifying benefit IE an income based Benefit.

Income based esa would get me the help I need,

Totally screwed by the condems.

This Goverment just wants rid of the disabled and does not care if we freeze to death,

Ok thanks and I appoligise if i am wrong, I will enquire about this You would think that claimants would be informed of there options when transfering from IB to esa.

regards microbar.

Hi Nystagmite just found this and it looks like as I do not have higher rate DLA care I have lower rate care then I will not qualify for the Enhanced disability premium.

Enhanced disability premium

Claimants inthe support group are entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP). Thisis an additional rule for the EDP which only applies to ESA. Normally toqualify for the EDP a claimant or their partner must be entitled to AttendanceAllowance or the higher rate of the care component of Disability LivingAllowance (DLA).

:microbar:

:whoo:

Guess a Jobcentreplus decision maker finally found and read your reams of medical evidence. Shame s/he didn't explain that a claimant can be in receipt of both flavours of employment n support allowance at the same time.

The starting point is something called your 'applicable amount'; the sum of money the Government says you need to live on. For you, so far as I can tell;

Personal allowance £70ish

Support component of ESA £34ish

Enhanced disability premium £15ish

(Entitlement to enhanced disability premium can be cos of ESA support component or highest care component of DLA)

So an applicable amount of £120ish per week against the highest possible pre conversion award of incapacity benefit at £112ish per week. As you appear to have less income than Government says you need to live on you can apply for an income based award of employment n support allowance to make up the difference.

An ESA3 form should be available on request from your local benefit delivery centre but they're currently in short supply. If you've the technology we've a downloadable and printable copy on CAG at #7 of;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387812-ESA-365-Limit

In answer to your original question;

Councils or Jobcentreplus can ask for any info they need to determine a benefit claim. You've a right of refusal but 'it may affect your claim ......'

Sincerely, Margaret. :panda:

(Solved the scoresheet conundrum. Some benefit delivery centres are cutting corners with the paperwork. Rightsnet are having the same problem.)

Edited by **Margaret**

Don't mind your private message but the help you want can't really be offered over an internet forum. And for very good reasons the Site Team would discourage it anyway.

A few generic pointers to supplement the info I've already offered:

Personal allowance of employment n support for a couple £111

Enhanced disability premium for a couple £21

There's no couple rate of the work related activity or support component.

Income based employment n support can be affected by the income, if any, of a husband/wife/partner.

State support for children doesn't affect rates of employment n support allowance.

In an ideal world you need some face to face advice from welfare rights to check your current entitlement against the rate you're in receipt of. Or, if you can't find any, send a written request to your benefit delivery centre for details of 'how your benefit is made up'.

Or, just submit an ESA3 anyway.

Margaret.

Sorry about the PM won’t happen again looking at your info it looks as though I am on the applicable amount, So even though this is the only income we have, We would not be eligible to income related ESA benefit,

And therefore due to migrating from IB to ESA we now loss out on any income related support IE cold weather payments etc. We do not have a cab in our area due to cut backs,

I would not trust any info from the DWP again. They informed me when I rang them in regards to my appeal that if I appealed I would loss my WRAG rate which was entirely wrong,

Any way thanks for all your help here and sorry again if I have offended

Best Regards microbar.

Edited by microbar

No offence whatsoever. :-) It's just not possible to do complicated benefit calculations over an internet forum. There's too many variables. If you can't get any face to face advice I'd strongly recommend that you submit an ESA3 anyway. At least you should know for sure. Unlike the call handlers the benefit processors are better trained and have full access to your case notes.

In the meantime you may be eligible for help with health costs on the grounds of low income;

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/2733.aspx

01912 790565 gets a real person instead of a computer.

The income limits are higher for partial help with dental treatment and glasses.

Best wishes, Margaret.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just had a look at the ESA3 myself (in the Support Group - Contribution based), the form actually asks about your health condition etc. It gives the impression that the DWP have the right to re-assess your entitlement to ESA if you are simply applying for a 'top up' of Income based ESA.

Is this true?

I'm wondering if Pension Credit would be more applicable as a 'top up' instead of ESA -- it will avoid another ESA50 & ATOS re-assessment if you are over the age of Pension Credit eligibility.

For those that are, I am aware that you cannot cancel a contribution based claim (ESA of JSA) to claim a means tested benefit on it's own. There are deprivation rules that come into play if you do.