craigj v Nationwide

craigj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6337 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 3 October 2006 I sent the Preliminary approach for repayment letter to the Nationwide head office trying to claim a total of £209.97 of unauthorised overdraft fees including interest.

Today (12 October 2006) I recieved the following letter:

"Thank you for your letter of 3 October 2006, about charges incured on your FlexAccount.

We appreciate the time you've taken to get in touch with us about this issue, and are grateful for the opportunity to explain the rationale behind our charging policy. We are aware there has been a lot of speculation about fees and charges in the media and that the Office of Fair Trading has issued a directive regarding credit cards.

As you know if we allow items to be paid and it means you exceed your agreed overdraft or we have to return an item unpaid on your account then we will make a charge in accordance with the terms and conditions. Details of our tariffs are contained within out 'FlexAccount Interest Rates and Charges' leaflet, freely available in branches and provided when opening an account and agreed to by yourself when you sign in acceptance of these terms when signing the application forms.

Nationwide believes it is open and transparent about charges and members are pre-notified prior to charges beging debited via their monthly statements. If, at any time, we make changes to the tariff, account holders are always informed. We hope that you will that you can abide by the terms and conditions of the account but if you cannot, then regrettably it may be appropriate for you to consider alternative banking arrangements.

I hope that this has helped clarify our position and you will appreciate why I am unable to refund any charges on your account. If you have any further queries don't hesitate to call me. My contact number is 01793 712507.

I must make you aware The Nationwide Group uses the Financial Services Authority rules when dealing with customers' concerns. I've enclosed a leaflet that explains our Internal Complaints Procedure should you not be happy with my reply.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah Watson

Team Manager

Member Account Servicing

What should I do now, do you think? Send the letter before action? Should I send it immediately or wait until the 17th of October (14 Days). Is this a standard letter?

Any information would be great.

Follow the step by step guide

Make sure you read this through (LBA instructions)

and stick to the timelines set out, then you can't realy go wrong!

Don't worry about their standard letters, they are just trying to put you off!!

Stick to it, it's well worth reading through other peoples questions in other banks threads.

So don't worry everyone pretty much has the same concerns & worries & the people on here are extremely helpful!

Good luck!

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...

Hey, guys, I know this was really stupid of me, but I got so busy with university work at the time that I forgot to send off the second letter after the 14 days. It's now the 19th of December (over 2 months since the original letter), there's also been one other charge of £20 since. What should I do?

Should I proceed and send the first letter again with the other charge added or should I just go on with the second letter now despite the time delay.

Hello craigj!

It would do no harm in re-sending a Preliminary Letter which includes any new charges that have been applied to your account since since U sent the last one.

...Then just proceed as per the well documented guidelines!

(Time management skills are glorious things to possess when U are a student...especially come the party season!...lol...:) )

Hi MilkTrayMan,

Thanks very much for replying. I was thinking a new preliminary letter would be a good idea, just wanted to get someone's advise before doing anything.

Hehe, yeah, time management - such an important thing. I've actually been kicking myself that I forgot about this.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I get on with this.