Connaught Collections uk ltd

jamieadi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cannot find anything about this dca on the site so thought i would inform you of my latest dealing with them.

Stopped making payments to a debt i had seven years ago. WRONG I KNOW! but I just did not have the funds.

recieved letters from other DCA's trying to claim payment, ignored all of them and the letters stopped.

last week recieved a letter from Connaught Collections with the intention of issueing demand for bankruptcy.

After initial panic read this site and found the letter of statute barred.

Have now sent this letter to them and hope that will be the end of the matter.

10/3 Preliminary letter sent to bank

17/3 Acknowledgment letter recieved from bank

24/3 LBA letter sent to bank

19/5 Claim filed with court

10/6 Defence filed by bank

13/6 Allocation form filed with court

18/10 Preliminary hearing set by court for 10/11

21/10 documents for claim filed with court

3/11 Money deposited in account

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HUSBANDKHAN

when did you last contact them. did you know that if the last time you contacted anyone over this matter was over six yeras ago the dca can do sodd all. they have been stat barred. as you cannot chase a debt this way. if however the 6 years were due to run out within a few weeks you have now extended this by a further six years. everytime you reply this will start the 6 years process again.if you have not sent the letter off contact the dca and ask when the last contact was do not confirm your id and if the time scale they give you runs out in a few weeks sit tight and they will run out. in the meanwhile you may get letters from several other dcs. hope this helps

Connaught Collections UK Ltd is a DCA that is owned by 1st Credit Ltd who are a large debt purchaser. Whilst Connaught also work directly for lenders as a DCA it is also possible that 1st Credit have bought your debt and have passed it to Connaught. If you haven't had any correspondance on this for a while it is likely that they have recently traced you (probably via a credit link if you've recently applied for credit/mobile phone etc). This is via a link from your previous address to your current address. Try and remember if you ever received any letters from 1st Credit as it will probably give you a better clue who the legal owner of the debt is. There are also letters on here if you do contact them that will help you find this out without acknowledging anything - obviously if you do make contact then they will know they have definitely located you so think carefully before you do this.

Regarding the "intention" to issue a bankruptcy it is highly unlikely they will do this as this will be at "their" cost which would just add to their loss on the debt. Very few lenders/DCA's will ever take this course of action. By the fact that it says "intention" means they are threatening this course of action as a way to get you to contact them. In part by the fact that you have responded to it shows it has the desired effect one way or the other.

Regards as to whether the account is statute barred you need to work back to the last time you would have acknowledged the debt. This could simply be sending a letter saying you can no longer afford the repayments, or a phone call to the same, or the last time you made a payment against the account. If this is less than 6 years then it is still "legally" enforceable.

With regards what you do next I guess that is upto whether you morally feel as though you should repay the debt or if you are in a position to repay the debt of course. Obviously if you contact them they will try and push you to repay back as much as possible so if you do contact them to repay I suggest you be prepared for what you can "realistically" afford first so you do not get pushed into repaying back what you cannot afford.

If you are still unsure what to do then perhaps suggest also speaking to your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

good luck which ever option you choose!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently applied for a loan and then this letter came thru the door exactly the same as jamieadi's.

I got on the phone to a solicitor and they told me what to write in a letter to them ie, who they were, what the debt was for and if they had any proof of this under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I wish I had seen this place first, but like everyone else I panicked. I have not had any correspondence from any debtors in the past 7 or 8 years. Does this mean they cannot do anything? I didn't pay the debt as I lost my job and had no funds at all except benefits for a number of years and when the letters stopped I thot it had been cleared or something. Is this 6 yr fringe the same in Scotland? I suppose I will have to pay it in the end as I do not want the address I stay at blacklisted, i am a lodger in the place and thats all the owner would need! Any advice please?

Regarding the "intention" to issue a bankruptcy it is highly unlikely they will do this as this will be at "their" cost which would just add to their loss on the debt. Very few lenders/DCA's will ever take this course of action. By the fact that it says "intention" means they are threatening this course of action as a way to get you to contact them. In part by the fact that you have responded to it shows it has the desired effect one way or the other.

you have to be careful. i've had client's receive a creditor's petition from 1st credit. they *were* in mortgaged accomodation mind you. it would be very unlikely that they would issue bankruptcy proceedings for people in mortgaged accomodation.

• 5 months later...

Basically, I had a statutory demand, threatening bankruptcy from Connaught Collections. Slightly different circumstances as I wish to go bankrupt but am struggling to raise the £960 I need for myself and my husband. I ignored the statutory demand hoping they would make me bankrupt and they have now sent a copy of the demand addressed to me but to my mothers address where I have never lived. Can they do this? apparently there is a link due to our initials being the same. Also how do I get Connaught Collections to pay for my bankruptcy? Please if anyone has any info I would be most grateful.:?

I have loads of debts - I was ill last year and lost a well paid job and now earn 10k less also my partner is disabled and cant work. Yesterday connaught have send they intend to make me bankrupt, 1st Credit have refused an offer on another debt and Thames Credit have refused offers on two others....... YIKES the CCCS told me to make the offers they have all been refused

Am scared about the Connaught letter what can I do?

I have sent emails asking for copies of the credit agreements..... anything else I should be doing. I called 1st credit last night to ask for copies of the agreements and got a load of abuse down the phone and was told we'll see you in court!

Hi - my mate has recently received a statutory demand from Connaught followed up by a letter threatening bankruptcy action. He's not very good at dealing with this sort of thing so I've been reading quite a bit of the correspondence on the forum. As he's a bit vague on when the original debt was incurred so it seems like a good idea to send a CCA request to them in order to get himself a bit of breathing space. Is this a viable starting point?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Another fan of this company,I have just had a couple f letters from them refering to something that is totally alien to me.They refer on 7th. Feb 2008 that my repayment plan our ref .676488 records show thatit is £30.00 IN ARREARS ,Then on14th.Feb 2008 get another ne stating that I have admitted liability we have no option but to recommend legal proceedings are now taken goes on to say "please do not underestimate the seriousness of this matter" Need some advice firstly I don't know what this refers to the only account that I am paying is 70356700 for £30.00 and that is paid religiously on the first of every month IN CASH to a Barcleys Bank and I have the reciepts to prove this last payment made on 1st. Feb 2008 £30.00 cash.Next I have not admitted "liabilty " as they state as i did not reply to the letter dated 7th. Feb 2008 just assumed that it was an error on their part,but I am absolutely furious at this latest letter,how can they make a statement that I have admitted liabilty when I have never done so. Now do I just reply requesting that they ensure that the legal action they are taking is done in my home town so that I can appear and show them up to be outright "LIARS" any advice woud be much appreciated.

Mick

• 3 months later...

Mick094m, I had the same letter from Connaughts at during February, I called them and was told they have had systems problems and it was a mistake. I informed them that as I could prove the payment had been made it constituted harrasement on their part and as such was illigal (Not sure of the validity of this statement, but it felt good to be aggressive to them). Hope this helps

Since then they seem incapable of keeping their records correct, calling every other month saying they cannot collect the payment, as the bank has refused, on calling them and investigating it always appears their system shows an in-correct expiry date on my card, funny how some months payment is recieved some months there are problems.

I have made it clear to them that if this continues I will stop payments, they can take it to court and I will cite their inability to proficiently collect.

• 1 month later...
Ive just had the same letter too!!! (Sent to my Mrs) We have been making payments,,, But Im still gonna make sure they have the right to collect and send a CCA request!

i too have been making payments for sometime as being made bankrupt will stop me being able to work in banks (pc engineer/network engineer) but i dont know what im paying for.....i told them this from day 1 and they still havent told me what its regarding....they said on phone they would request details from lloyds and get back to me. if i send CCA letter and there time expires can i claim back all the payments i have made to them as i have been mislead?

sorry to hijack thread.

i too have been making payments for sometime as being made bankrupt will stop me being able to work in banks (pc engineer/network engineer) but i dont know what im paying for.....i told them this from day 1 and they still havent told me what its regarding....they said on phone they would request details from lloyds and get back to me. if i send CCA letter and there time expires can i claim back all the payments i have made to them as i have been mislead?

sorry to hijack thread.

any ideas?....i want to ring them tomorrow (monday)morning and tell them they have taken money from me on false pretences and ask for my money back....is this possible?

• 4 months later...

Hi

I received their apparently standard, threatening letter on Saturday morning and was worried over the weekend what it related to. (I've got a couple of credit card balances and a car loan but believed they were all up-to-date). Having gone through all my bank and credit card statements etc, I couldn't find anything unpaid so decided to call Connaught on the phone on Monday. When I gave my details inc D.O.B., their representative told me it was a "mis-trace" and to ignore their letter. I said "I want some written evidence of this conversation and that no further action will take place." (An apology would have been nice but unlikely). He said that he couldn't do that but I insisted and he replied that if I sent them a copy of my passport or driving licence showing proof of my D.O.B., they would confirm in writing that it was their error. I will do this.

It seems that they send letters out to people with the same name as the debtor hoping to catch the right person but really don't care if they cause other, innocent people distress along the way.

The moral of the story is: Make sure it's you they're after, not just someone with the same name!

• 3 weeks later...

HELP PLEASE!! we have a DMP with CCCS and this debt is being paid with others every month however last month the payment was late due to bank error so they received two this month!! Advised 1st credit by email as CCCS advised but this morning received letter from Connaught Collections threatening Bankruptcy!!!! We are paying everymonth through CCCS and are responsible dealing with our debt issues (or so i thought) so why do this? Dont know what to do next as dont want bankruptcy - please help ?!

• 1 year later...