George Osborne lucky not facing prosecution by Virgin

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

He and his staff held only standard class tickets, but sat in first class. They initially refused to pay the difference in fares, (£160 each).

Fortunately, the conductor didn't allow himself to be bullied, and extracted £160 from both of them...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20008342

Such a shame there wasn't a PACE trained RPI that morning... Osborne would have went the same way as Mitchell.

(Held 2 x Advance Standard tickets, booked train only - however, he chose to get a different train as well as sitting in a different class, refused to move to standard class, and then refused to pay for 1st).

Probably could have got a Section 5 to stick... definitely Byelaw 19.

Still £320 and some bad publicity...

What would have happened to Joe Bloggs in that position? Would Joe have had the option to pay £160?

I note that George didn't pay the £160 either. I therefore presume that us taxpayers did.

On Virgin, with no RPI available, you would either pay up, or give your name and address for an Unpaid Fare Notice, which gives you 2 weeks to pay the outstanding amount, plus an admin charge or face prosecution/civil action. Refuse to give name and address/give false details, Transport Police probably waiting for you at London Euston... who stick you on for multiple breaches of the Byelaws...

He had an "in date" ticket, albeit one that wasn't valid on that specific train/class, so a hefty excess fare is usually an appropriate disposal for this type of incident.

Sorry but this isn't news, whether you like the man or not. Man gets on train not subject to penalty fares, buys upgrade from conductor, minds his own business.

Still, never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

He committed a criminal offence nevertheless by travelling on a train with an invalid ticket.

They initially REFUSED to pay the upgrade, despite knowing their tickets were not valid. What sort of example is that setting? It is bordering dishonest.

For such a high profile MP this is completely unacceptable.

In context of the forum, it is worthwhile bringing this to the attention of visitors, that, even high ranking politicians are subject to the same laws and regulations of the railways, and when you breach them, you receive a hefty bill.

This would have been a non-story had they not refused to have paid, when asked first time. They also claim that standard class was full, so they decided to sit in first. That is itself a downright lie, he could have easily have gotten a seat.

I'm a regular train traveller, including on VT, sometimes in 1st when there is a good deal, and when I've seen passengers without valid tickets (such as off-peak on a peak train, wrong train for Advance, no railcard, class upgrade etc), those who have paid up have never been treated like criminals. Even the most officious conductor knows that treating customers like filth is not good business.

For those who can't or won't pay the supplement, even for what the passenger might consider a technical breach (such as no credit card with online booking), it almost always spells trouble, and rightly so. Failure to pay demonstrates intent.

So I don't think the story as reported doesn't accord with what I've seen in my own experience. Remember that journalists and politicians rank more or less equally badly in the public's opinion - they both have an axe to grind!

I would add that Osborne ranks pretty low in my own opinion. But he should be and has been treated like any other passenger, as he paid his bill for an upgrade. If I was a government minister then I'd want to travel in 1st for the peace and quiet, and not having to climb over the obstacle course of luggage in corridors in Standard.

Anyway I'll leave it at that because you are right to point out to forum visitors that people should ideally get on trains with the correct tickets - good advice for everyone!

@firstclassx - it seems like you are letting your politics get in the way here.:-x

Every version of this I have seen showed that it was the aide who discussed fares with the ticket inspector and when a fare was required it was paid.

You see people getting upgrades like this all the time - its only an issue if you want to pretend that only the government travels first - not that Ed Milliband would travel first and take the antimacassers off for the benefit of TV cameras! (he does)

There are some facts in this:

• The ticket inspector was obviously very professional and reasonable
  • The reporter who tweeted this has admitted that she did not have a first class ticket yet went there to take a photo - by your logic firstclassx she must be prossecuted

If the very senior politicians in this country (cabinet and shadow cabinet) can't travel first its a pretty bad situation.