• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Manpower/reed/Hayes - my various employment woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

you need to tell them *what* part time hours - how many you can work and when you are available. Or they may say "sure, 2 - 5pm" which I am guessing clashes with class?

I'd also add that you are good to do extra in holidays, as holiday cover may be attractive to them.

and I would only worry about making your OWN request look good - don't help other people. They may only have room for one part timer and you want it to be you...

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they have a fair point, you are renaging on your commitment to them and how do they know you won't do the same at another company? it is their reputation as well as yours that you are tarnishing.

For the sake of what, 16 weeks or so, I would stick it out. Not their fault you did not plan ahead.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

REED are doing this to me on purpose because all they are concerned about is their bonus - if someone lasts the full term of the contract and nothing else

They are a business, not a welfare organisation - what would you expect them to be concerned about? Their first, last and only concern is how to keep the person who pays them happy. That'd be the company you are working at.

I would write a polite letter direct to Reed's CEO explaining your complaint and ask whether Reed is part of a regulatory body (for recruitment agencies) and state you will take it up with them if they continue to sanction you, all because of a reasonable request.

In honesty I think that is a shallow threat (about the regulatory body) as Reed are doing nothing wrong here. If anything escalating the complaint will cause OP more trouble. After all, presumably they will need another job when this one ends. I honestly would let sleeping dogs lie.

There seems to be no evidence that there is a note on the file. OP has assumed there is. I expect it just says she is in a contract until... andd ass soon as that contract is finished all will be well.

• 2 weeks later...

they put you in a contract and you lasted 3 months before wanting to move - they look bad

they put you in for an interview and you were a no show - they look bad.

I'd take you off my books too. Sorry. You have no legal recourse and no right to be put forward for anything. There are enough job hunters at the moment that I could afford to put only reliable ones forward. You have burned your boats here, try another agency.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If the requirement is to start the job on that day and you can't then the agency will move on to the next person. Good luck finding another role soon; there is not much you can do about this one. (You have checked with the doctor, haven't you? On if a few days makes a difference.)

I wonder what the difference in your friend's approach was? Somehow she has persuaded them. Ask her what and how she did it for next time.

As to legal claims - just no. Totally no. Stop it.

• 4 months later...

You have no redress against him. Find a new agency. Nothing to be done here.

you seem to be spamming the name of the company in a search engine optimisation vendetta. Very childish.

Also if everyone is over 18 they can shag who they like. Their complaints are not yours, and no one seems to have asked you to white knight for them. They can complain themselves if bothered.

Move on. Live well. Be happy. Let it go. It's the mature thing to do.

• Haha 1

Yes, but does anyone care? If the consultant makes money, that's his job. He does not work *for you*. You are not paying him. He has no obligation to you at all. For whatever reason, you have annoyed him, and now he does not feel able to recommend you to clients.

Tough.

You sound like a crazy woman going for revenge over a spurned lover. Note I am not saying you are; I am saying your tone, and your fixation on minor points, sound similar.

Who would want to employ someone that bears a grudge this hard? You are not helping yourself. The recruitment industry is small and close and sticks together; consultants move firms; you will make yourself unemployable.

Get over it. Move on. Live well.

• 1 year later...

You need to make a formal application for flexible working arrangements and the onus s on you to give the employer good reasons why they can accomodate this. They then will need to have a good reason to be able to turn you down.

https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working/overview

If you're self employed then the above doesn't apply - technically you should be permitted to work whatever hours you want. You may find your services are quickly dispensed of if they don't fit in with the organisations needs, though.

Apologies, totally missed those words! More coffee....

• 2 months later...

Hi,

are wages paid by the company or the agency? (Some agency act as "finders" but not employers)

• 4 years later...

In the request, I think you also need to suggest how the 4 - 5 part of the day can be covered with minimum impact to the business.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think they can immediately reject it, because you have not said how the last part of the day can be covered if you are not there.

You need to describe not just what YOU need, but how THEIR work gets done.