issues with BrightHouse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have OSC on laptop thats been sent for repair a few weeks ago

when i rung up to check on it

the man said it had been and i quote "destroyed and put into the furnace" because its cheaper to just replace the goods,

am i taking by that comment that my repair was "BER" (Beyond economical repair)

they are sorting a replacement

but i just found it strange for a minor problem (touchpad wasnt working correctly)

resulted in it being basically thrown away.

Is this normal?

Is this how brighthouse "recycle" the broken items?

When I worked there it seemed easier for them to just replace items. I remember one customer had a scratch on the stand that goes on their tv. Instead of replacing just the stand they got a brand new TV, then their old one was probably put up as "QR" for only £0.01 cheaper then normal price with no box, as usual!

they said my laptop had gone into a furnace so i persume they have just wrote it off from the stock and replaced it with a new one! Im taking in a phone to give back as i dont want it (im covered by OSC) what will they do with that will it be sent off to be refurbished or just binned do you reckon? its not an expensive model

bloody hell you would think they would do a full refurbish on the product do they do that them selves in the shop or do they send them off to the service centres to refurbish? i wondered if they wiped the phones et.. because im not very good with technology so wasnt to sure how to delete all my personal information, but saying that i can just get my son to look at it

HiPlease be assured we do not have a furnace. As mentioned above, goods returned to us are refurbished, if possible, and sold as 'quality refurbished' items. Electronic items that cannot be refurbished are, if possible, recycled. We do not send anything electrical to a furnace and I'm sorry you were told this.Also, phones and laptops returned to us are subject to data cleansing as part of their refurbishment process, to ensure all personal data is removed.

thanks for the reply i thought a furnace was abit drastic lol, he must of just basically been saying that it was beyond fixing so it had been scrapped for recycling. Thanks for letting me know about the data cleansing to because im clueless. Will the phone im returning be sent off from the store to a service centre for a full refurbishment as there is nothing wrong with it just circumstances have changed. also could you explain the recycle procedure to me im interested in how BH operate when it comes to being green :)

Edited by amanda63

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know they are sent off to a service centre for repair but the amount of times I heard they had gone missing or just written off was a joke. A few times we as delivery drivers had to pick phones, laptops up to be sent for repair, just had to bubble wrap them up in the van with a label on. Very professional of course!

How come they sometimes just write them off surely it must be costing them money as the phones ect.. they sell at the place are always worth something! I can understand if the item needed repairing but a simple refurbishment must be losing them money? Ive heard alot of bad stories about things being sent off for repair and "going missing" but with there own items to be refurbished is abit bad isnt it! Does the items when there refurbished get sent back to the same store to sell or do they just go to random stores around the country?

I'm not sure to be honest how they decide wether to write off items, not sure on their system. But in most cases they seemed to just write stuff off as it appeared to be the easiest thing to do. Once items did get "repaired" they were sent back to the original store and the customer is then informed as and when they can pick it up. As for the "refurbs" I think they just send them to random stores to be sold. Yes there is still money in the items but just think how much they charge for refurbished items and brand new items, there's not usually a massive difference.

• 3 months later...
OscarDog2k

As for data cleansing I'm unaware of the technical procedure they follow. Would not surprise me if it was a normal factory reset which can be done by anybody. But this is something you could ask their quality trained staff in one of the stores.

But with anything which has data on be it phones, laptops, games consoles etc I'd always recommend making backups before sending it away for 'repair'

I was just a little worried as I droped my phone and the screen cracked, they were happy to send it away for 'repair' but I have a 2 year old child and couldn't obtain anything at all from the phone because of the damage so hoping either way it becomes wiped weather I get it the exact phone back or not.