• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4067 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Advice for my mentally ill daughter on this topic. At the moment I claiming her charges back from Lloyds and they have today sent her another charge of £35.00 for unreturned D/D of £40.00 set up to pay her Lloyds Credit Card, who incidentally charged her £12.00 for unreturned cheque. Payment was due Monday, 19th February and I was putting the money in the bank on the 19th for her but discovered they had already returned the D/D so I paid the credit card bill on 19th day due. She has had a letter to say that £35.00 will be charged on 2nd April. Can I send the said letter.

All help gratefully received

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your response.

I had her statements going back to July 2002 and I sent them a letter claiming back the charges thereon amounting to £325.00 didn't claim interest. Some of the items they charged her for ie: 3 cheques returned despite the fact I put the money in the same day to cover them. I complained to Lloyds and I was told the money had to be in the day before they were due to come out. They actually charge £20.00 for unauthorised o/d for £4.13. They are aware of her circumstances, being on low benefits and DLA. Problem started to happen when payments were paid into bank instead of payment book. Probably a sad day for many people on benefits when they did away with payment books. Lloyds have 14 days from 8th March to respond. What can I do about this other charge of £35 to be paid 2nd Apri.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted earlier in this thread regarding my daughter's charges. I did as Tide suggested regarding the additional charge due on 2nd April but despite this they have still taken the £35.00 from her account today making her o/d. I've received 2 letters from them,the usual ones everyone else seems to be receiving. It seems like legal action is the only way forward now unless you can suggest anything else.

I've done everything I can I have been told that I have to wait for a decision on my letter to regarding claiming back charges. I also copied in the relevant Benefit Agencies and the MP. I've given Lloyds until 11th April and will go to legal proceedings then. She is going to open a Post Office Account.

I've quoted the act to them aswell. The charges are shown as o/d and I handed in a letter at the same time as visiting saying that she needs her money tomorrow so I will see whether they have any conscious and not take it. Won't hold my breath though. Hope everything is OK for you tomorrow. good luck.

I'm not letting them off the hook, she wasn't in debt when she had her payment books and managed really well. She had £105 bank charges one week and had to borrow the money to paid into the bank. I had actually paid the money into the bank for her to cover the D/Ds but they bounced them all the same.

Well I've just checked her account and they stopped the £35.00 that means she's got £20.00 to live on after a D/D has to come out. I just love Lloyds. What worries me is she can't be the only one in this situation and she has been lucky in that we help her out but there are a lot of people who don't have anyone to help them out.

They've got my letter before legal proceedings they've got until 11th April 07. I was hoping they would cough up so I wouldn't have to go through that I really do have enough on my plate. I also copied in the Benefits Agencies and MP also quoted appropriate Act. Just a waiting game now but say I am really annoyed at the Bank especially asking not to take the £35.00 this week.

I don't mind you being nosey. Its only £325.00 + this other £35.00 but bearing in mind benefits haven't been paid that only into the bank about 3 years so this is only 3 years of charges. I didn't add interest but I will put 8% on if it goes to Court. I think that is my understanding. I thought if i didn't add interest they would be more likely to pay. Just goes to show. It seems ludicrous that they are letting it go this far thus incurring all these extra charges when they could settle at a lower charge. At one time Lloyds use to let you put the money in the same day but they changed this. When I asked when they changed it they said October 06. I asked if she had been notified they said yes with her bank statements. She doesn't receive paper statements. Thats why they refunded the one charge to her. Its been an eye opener joining this site it beggars belief some of the rip-offs.

I'm so glad that you have been sorted out. I think Lloyds are one of the more difficult banks to deal with. I think the fact that they go to the wire with people claiming back their charges just goes to show how bloody minded they are. When I went to bed last night I had decided that I was going to follow up my letter to the MP and update him. Funny enough my Capital One statements came this morning and I now gearing up for them.

Good luck.

I've posted earlier regarding my daughter's problems with her benefits. It absolutely beggars belief but today she's had a letter advising her of £30 charges for o/draft excess fee. They took £35.00 on 2nd April putting her into o/draft which they then took back on 5th April from benefits despite being asked not to. In the meantime I have sent all papers to her MP and I have now sent papers to FOS and also to Penny Berryman,Data Protection Dept. The charges relate to a direct debit of £40.00 to Lloyds credit card, charged her £35.00 for returning direct debit, Lloyds credit card charged her £12.00 for the return and now she has another £30.00 for excess o/d fee. thats a total of £72.00 for a £40.00 d/d to their own company. I have sent a very strong letter to Penny Berryman. Just off to post them all so that I can calm down.

Well, letters posted to FOS, MP and Penny Berryman just wait for the next few days to see what comes back. N1 obviously the next step. Bit between the teeth at the moment. Tide, I did put these figures in the letter to highlight the utter disgrace of the whole charges issue and added afterwards (a nice little earner). Couldn't resist the dig I'm afraid. Caught me on the wrong foot this morning.

Apparently my daughter was told by the Post Office that she can phone DWP up and ask for a Personal Invitation Document. not sure what this is? perhaps someone can enlighten me. I am hoping its a way of receiving benefits without the thieving baskets getting there first.

Update - letter from Lloyds, just saying that they are still looking into the concerns recently raised. They are hoping to complete their enquiries within the next two weeks. I am going to write back and say they've had long enough so I am pressing on with N1. Do you think this right? or should I give FOS and Penny Berryman time to react? any advice welcome.

Thanks. I was thinking something along these lines. I must say it is a very apologetic letter and its come from Birmingham but I wrote to London, also the reply was quick. I think someone may have had a rocket.

I have just posted a letter to Lloyds and said that They had a further 7 days and the only reason I had allowed this was because the FSO had only been notified of the complaint on 12th April and I was giving them time to respond. I realised afterwards that this letter was a reply to the first letter to Penny Berryman on 10th April. The letter to Penny Berryman of 12th April crossed with this letter from Lloyds dated 12th April. The one sent on 12th April was even more detrimental to Lloyds. I think I may get another letter tomorrow.

Update - letter from MP. "Thank you for your letter dated 3rd April regarding charges by Lloyds Bank. I am very concerned about this and fortunately I am seeing the local Lloyds Bank in the near future and I will raise this with them". Just waiting to hear from FOS now.

I'm back and a little bemused at the level of intelligence of Lloyds. I gave them till today to come up with a settlement and I received a letter, 4th one of its kind, to say "how sorry they are to learn that you're unhappy with us" I would like to use something a little stronger but would get sensored. They enclsoed their usual leaflet, if anyone needs one I now have 3. They have again moved the goalpost they want 28 days now. I wrote a letter to Penny Berryman, expressing my concern regarding the shambles of dealing with this case, and I enclosed a revised list of charges adding the 8% and I shall now press through the courts.

These are the communications I have had off Lloyds which I listed in my letter to Penny Berryman

Kerry Parfitt, Andover, 14th March 07 – 2 weeks to investigate

Jason Farren, Brindley Place, 22nd March 07 – 28 days to investigate

Andy Griffin, 28th March 07 – Fob off letter – basically get lost

Nahshon Mcpherson, Brindley Place, 12 April 07 – 2 weeks

Sylvia Smith, Brindley Place, 20th April 07 – 28 Days

I shall probably be shouting for help with the N1 form tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Clap hands: Lloyds have agreed to refund charges in full. All those on benefits should contact their MP, I am sure that this result is of a visit to Lloyds from him.

Thanks for all the help and just hope everyone else gets the same result.

• Haha 1

In our area we have got contact details of how and when to contact the MP. If you don't have such a thing I would go to your Library and they will tell you. Our MP does a surgery once a month. He was seeing Lloyds and he told me he was going to raise the issue with them. I would take the letter of Appropriate into the Branch tomorrow.

Good luck