Maria V A&L

mariamaria
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all!

Just thought I'd post on here as I have sent my first letter to A&L today. They have managed to charge me £170 in 2 months?!

Has anyone else noticed that if you go overdrawn they actually charge you £50? My statements says Day 2 overdrawn - £25 and then day 5 overdrawn £25, whats all that about?

The only reason I changed to this account from Natwest is that they were offering a promotion and I got £50 - they managed to get that back!

This seems to be the bank that puts up more of a fight!

m x

Just goes to show that you should always read the small print and not get taken in by the special offers!

Hi, Maria, welcome.

Yes, we are all aware of being charged twice if we stay in the red for more than 2 days.

I don't know about them putting up more of a fight, but they certainly don't make things easy.

You also need to be aware that A&L WILL close your account if you take them to court. So make sure you get a parachute account opened, ASAP.

Keep us posted. :cool:

If they are 'defaults' and were basically caused by their charges in the first place, I think you have grounds to ask for their removal as part of the package.

You should find something on this in the FAQs. I know there is reference to default removal on the letter(s) in the template library. :cool:

Hello all!!

Got a reply from A&L saying the following:

'Dear Miss X

Thank you for contacting us regarding your account.

I have noted your comments that you velieve the charges have been raised on your account to be unfair, please be assured our charges are reasonable and competitive with the charges made by othe financial organisations.

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has commented that they consider the level of late payment charges to be unfair, however, they were actually referring to late payment fees for credit card payments, which are quite distinct from a bank's charges on current accounts.

As yet, the OFT have not entered into any discussions with the banking industry regarding current accounts. However, should that position change in the future, then A&L will participate as appropriate.

Given the above, I cannot acceot you have been unfairly charged as you suggest. I regret, therefore, that I am unable to agree to your rquest for a refund of charges on this occasion.

I am sorry if you are disappointed with my response, but as the charges have been raised correctly in line with the terms and conditions of your account, they must stand.

Yours Sincerely

PP 'Someones computer generated signature'

M Parker

Customer Services

So thats the reply?! Whats next people? Also, while I am doing this I am not in my overdraft but I can imagine them adding all sorts of charges to my account - I'm sure they will try to think of another charge to get me with.

Glad for any advice offered??

cheers

m x

Oh! I am claiming £170 from A&L - is this too little an amount for all the things that we have to go through? I've noticed people are claiming thousands so I feel my case is small fry compared to everyone else's

m x

£170 is a lot to me. Go for it.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.