• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently, I asked MM for a settlement figure, which was quoted at £907. I need this settled ASAP as I can no longer afford the repayments of £200 per month. However, I was not able to settle at this time. After some rejigging of household bills, I proposed to repay the £900 by way of 4 payments of £200 and a final payment of £107. This would fully repay the debt and release security on my car. I offered this as I have already paid un excess of the amount borrowed. The monthly payment was due on the 1st, but due to major household expense, and a change of pay date, I had to delay this to the 23rd. When I spoke to an agent in MM, he refused my proposal and suggested that I increase the monthly amount. The exising amount of £200 per month is unaffordable, and I can only stretch this by 'putting other creditors aside' for a short period. Any advice would be very helpful. The loan was taken out in August 2011 for £1200, to be repaid at £200 pm over 18 months. You can imagine the total amount that would repaid and has been repaid already. When I questioned them about whether the BOS had been registered, they quoted a registration number and date. I am concerned they will try and take the car due to the amount of scare stories I have heard on here.

When I took out the loan with Mobile Money, they retained the V5 and the MOT certificate as part of the loan agreement. Since then, I have been sent the new V5C by the DVLA. Technically, I should destroy the old V5, but as MM have it, I cant do this. How much power do MM have if they got as far as repossing the car. God forbid, I dont have to get this far. As far as I am concerned, they do not have a current valid registration document.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I'm trying to settle a debt with mobile money, but they are refusing point blank to help. I have £750 in cash obtained from family, but the settlement quoted is £915.41. I will attach the email history below. Can anyone help with this, as I need to sort this out. They already forced me into refinancing after refusing to help before. Many thanks.

Dear Mr McGuire,

With reference to your proposal to pay £750.00 to settle your account, I am afraid this is not acceptable . As per your previous conversation with the branch the figure required to settle your account is £915.41 valid until 26/09/2012 .

Should you require any further information please feel free to call the office .

Kind regards, Mobile Money Limited

Good morning,

Further to my email last Friday, to which I have yet to receive any acknowledgement, I now have funds in place. I wish to call into Faraham branch to make my proposed payment of £750 in order to settle the account. I appreciate this is less than what was quoted, but in accordance with my letter and previous emails, I believe this is the best way I can settle this accound, and is what I can afford.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards, David McGuire

Good morning Mr Nicholls,

I refer to previous correspondence between me and your company. Despite previous efforts to negotiate with you, I was forced into renewing my loan to avoid going into default. Having taken advice from National Debtline, I am now in a position to settle this account. Please find attached my proposal. Please give this your close attention as I wish this matter dealt with as a matter of urgency. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regars, David Mcuire.

NATIONAL DEBTLINE.

For you, I have attached corresponce between myself and Mobile Money. Please advise if there is any further way you can help with this.

Good morning Mr McGuire

Thank you for your email, I am sorry you are having problems selling your Corsa. We fully understand that once sold the proceeds will be used to settle your loan, however until this happens (which currently is unknown) monthly payments need to be maintained. We therefore require either a payment of £200.34 or full settlement £853.28. The settlement figure is valid until Saturday 28th July.

Kind regards David Nicholls

Good Morning Mr Nicholls,

The time has come for my monthly payment. However, I have decided to email rather than ring. I am in the process of selling another car which is owned by me. This car was expected to be sold so that I would be in a position to settle the account this morning. However, due to timewasters at the weekend, the car remains unsold. The car is a Vauxhall Corsa, used solely by myself to get to work. My wife needs the Focus as the family car as we have two young children. The corsa is listed on ebay, Autotrader and Gumtree. Is there some way I can place a hold on the account as I expect the car to be sold within the next week. I need to settle this account as soon as possible and need all the support that has been lacking so far in order that I can do this. Please can you also confirm the up to date settlement figure, as I suspect this has channged since my last contact with you. This is despite me trying to raise funds based on the previous settlement figure. I am away on site all day and tomorrow and am unavailable on the phone. However, I can answer emails later on today. I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Good afternoon Mr McGuire

Further to my last email, I have not been able to stop any future late payment letters going out before you are next due to pay on 23rd July 2012. This is due to an automated system. I can however, confirm that providing the arrangement is keep, any fees applied when the letters are sent will be removed. This will ensure that you achieve your aim of settling the agreement as quickly as possible . I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause

David Nicholls

I have reviewed your agreement and see that an automated letter was sent to you on 21st June 2012, this was before you paid and made the current payment arrangement. I have however, today removed the £12.00 fee which was applied at the time this letter was sent.

I have noted on the agreement that you will be paying on 23rd of each month, this as you state will ensure no more late payment fees

Should you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me

Good afternoon Mr Nicholls,

I was dissapointed when I rang the Portsmouth Office last Friday to make my monthly repayment. I was offered the chance to refinance the credit agreement over another 18 months. This contradicts my aim to affordably repay this debt as soon as possible. Today, I have received a letter threatening repossession of my car despite making a payment on Friday.

May I now request that the new payment date is set to the 23rd of each month. This will avoid any further arrears charges being added to the account and allow me sufficient time to try and find funds to settle this account. If I cannot raise the funds, I will have to pass your recent letter along with my income/expenditure forecast to a debt counselling agency. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Good Morning Mr McGuire

Thank you for your response, and further explanation of your current situation. Unfortunately we do not negotiate on early settlement figures and can only accept what the full settlement figure is on the day of settlement, this ensures that you receive the correct level of rebate to which you are entitled. Please contact the Fareham (Portsmouth) branch direct to make payments and arrange any future payment plans

Good afternoon Mr Nicholls,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. We seem to have a bit of a sticking point in this, so I will look at seeking advice from one of the debt counselling agencies. In the meantime, I am looking to raise as much cash as possible to finally settle this account. This is proving difficult, hence my letter and emails. What is the minumum you will accept as full and final settlement. I cannot afford the full settlement figure quoted last week. However, I may be able to raise some funds if you are prepared to negotiate. Also, do I continue to make payments to the Portsmouth Office or to head office, or by bank transfer. Please bear in mind that I need an answer to this before I consult any debt counselling agencies. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Please find attached my response to your letter and emails, I have sent the original letter in the post today

Hi there,

I spoke to your colleague, Ash this morning regarding the account, and despite the content of my letter, there was no negotiation about freezing the interest to allow me to repay the loan quicker. In fact, Ash even tried to convince me to increase my payments and allow the loan to be repaid in full. This is unnafordable and unsustainable. As the letter explained quite clearly, I wanted some negotiation on this, as I need an end date on this loan sooner rather than later. The alternative is to reduce my payments to this account and pay off all my outstanding bills in a truly pro-rata amount. I would prefer to prioritise this debt and pay this off in four payments of £200 and a final payment of £109.62 to clear the settlement figure quoted today by Ash. Please give this proposal your serious consideration as adding any further interest to the loan will only exasperate the situation. I look forward to your prompt responce on this.

Best regards,

43 views and no replies. Can anyone help with this. I've had more repllies from Mobile Money local branch saying that they are under direction from Head office. H.O are copied in my emails, but are ignoring me and leaving it to the branch.

Update on this one. Called into office with agreed amount of £750 to settle the account. Staff in branch argued Ts &Cs etc. You've probably heard it all before. Anyway, on way home, I received phone call saying Head Office have agreed to meet me halfway between my offer and their required amount. Okay, I've only saved £80 here, but its the principle that counts. Obviously, I'll be happy when car is free of HPI mark and all documents returned to me, but they have confirmed by email, this is what will happen. Next stop, PPI reclaims!

I can't believe no one responded to you and thanks Davy for responding to my post :) I wish I could advise you but I'm at a loss myself with my own problems with car cashpoint :( :( I was trying for a time order on my account not sure if you could do the same but now been told I can't for a bill of sale :( good luck Davy