Out of time for legitimate NIP prosecution?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I had a NIP posted to the wrong address on 7.4.11, but I moved house in May of that same year.

From May to August 2011, I stayed in temporary housing (but continued to collect my post from the old house).

Then I moved into new house, where I was was (eventually) sent a Court Summons in February 2012, for which I attended Court on 12th March. However, there was NO prosecution lawyer, so the case was adjourned until 31st May.

Am I STILL liable for the original speeding offence, or have they run out of time?

depends on how serious the alleged offence is?

speeding and other fixed penalty type offences are I think is 6 months, raise it with your solicitor or judge when you next appear.

however a judge may allow it as they have made an effort to track you down due to you moving etc.

For offences which can ony be tried summarily (eg speeding and most minor motoring offences) they have to lay the information with the court within 6 month of the alleged offence - the date the information was laid should be on the summons somewhere.The summons can arrive some time after the information is laid and there is no particular deadline for its service. There is also a deadline for proceedings to be complete, done and dusted but IIRC it's three years from the offence so you're nowhere near that yet I'm afraid.