• Tweets

• Interesting question regarding what Government accounts opposition parties have access to, before an General Election. From what I understand, Government department accounts that are published are always lagging behind and would not include some amounts which are classified as 'commercially sensitive'.  Therefore opposition parties and Parliamentrary select committees would not have access to accounts which contain real time up to date information. If a new Government have found £20 billion of spending liabilities they did not know about, this could be true, as £20 billion is not that much when you look at total Government expenditure. Government department are making decisions on spending all of the time and it could be the previous Government were planning tax changes and/or spending cuts to balance the books.  Jeremy Hunt has recently said that if the Tories had stayed in Government and held an Autumn budget, it would have been very difficult to cut taxes as some had wanted.
    • Everyone knows the tories were hiding the costs - and even added 4 billion quid to the taxpayers high interest credit card to fund a chunk of the NI tax reduction - prime example - look at how much cost was hidden re the Rwanda dogwhistle -10 Billion quid     and re the handful of rebels on the benefit limit If the disasters (like the Rwanda rubbish) of Tory dogs being wagged by the extremist minority ERG tail doesn't highlight the issues .. Enlighten yourself here .. (fat chance) Sir Keir Starmer is right to show Labour rebels the door WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Editorial: Suspending seven MPs following their rebellion over the two-child benefit cap is more than a prime minister flexing his political muscle. It is a...  
    • Trump instigated that didnt he @theoldrouge despite losing the election - and Biden mitigated as much as he could within his boundaries?   "President Donald Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Somalia in the wake of his 2020 election loss"   “The order was for an immediate withdrawal, and it would have been catastrophic,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., one of two Republican members of the special panel. “And yet President Trump signed the order.”   Trump ordered rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan after election loss WWW.MILITARYTIMES.COM The memo was among the latest revelations from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol building.   Although i agree that Biden should have done more to mitigate Trump driven disasters
    • ok your WS is wrong. Paragraph 16 and 17 says  you did not contract with evri but this is not true - see below  Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency post 251 of occy thread - £844 lost    you should also add a paragraph on donough v Stevenson talking about the fact that even without contract there is still duty of care to goods and by failing to deliver this duty has been breached.   Make those changes and post it back up here and I'll check over things again
    • no we cant add the occy thing because leicster are being difficult people so we're just going to go without it for now
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LV Write off valuation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was involved in a no fault accident and car written off.

I have been offered £4700 minus excess £4300 which according to glass guide is below the book value. I did not accept and they have offered another £200 needless to say I have turned that down as well.

I have researched and sent details to them of comparable cars ranging between £5600 and £6200

Plus Parker and Glass guides of £6200 and £6720 retail price.

I have been told by LV today that I am only entitled to market value not retail value and are now going to look at it again has they had my milage at 41000 even though I told them it was 33000. Well below average for year.

If they get what they want this will leave me having to find around 22% of the market value of a similar car (the lower value £5600 one) for a no fault accident. Surely this isn't right and what can I do next when they come back with another offer?

Cheers for reading.

Market Value is retail value, Glass's is based on the market, for the trade to know what the market value is to sell to you the punter. Unless there is good reason for your car to be worth less ( poor condiition, pre accident damage etc) LV are having a laugh. Make a complaint.

Yes that's exactly what I thought I was entitled to. I spoke to someone at FOS today and he even said market value of car at time of accident, but also added that this doesn't have to be a forecourt retail price. So it looks like even the FOS phoneline don't know what they are on about either, he seemed to be under the impression that market value includes trade in values.

The value LV need to pay, is the amount it would cost you to replace the car with one similar.

This may not be the advertised prices, as it is viewed by the FOS, that most people would negotiate a reasonable reduction. So if you saw a car advertised for say £6000, you could probably get the car for say £5500.

Best thing to do, is get as much information as you can to support a realistic 'market value' and ask LV to look at this, as you don't want to delay the claim too much, by asking the FOS to review.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

To be honest I would be happy with £5500 but they seem to be playing hard ball with me at the moment. I have already found a replacement that was at £6300 and negotiated it to £6000, and told LV of this and sent all the details, just a waiting game now I guess. It took them over a week to contact the TP insurer and still no answer from them as to accepting liability. I have police reports and independant witnesses as to me being at no fault, so again I guess it will take ages to be able to claim excess and other uncovered losse's back as well. I've had no replacement or courtesy car so will claim loss of use from TP insurers along with the cost of premium phone number charges so far about £60 to sort this crap out. LOL

Should I also claim for my time spent on all this chasing around, researching evidence etc?

yes if your insurers have accepted that it is all the tp fault, you should be put back in a position before the incident; i.e. the cost to get a car in a similar condition etc. at no cost to yourselves.

Also you would be entitled to alternative transport and all out of pocket expenses.

LV should get all this back from the TP insurers. If for nay reason they dont or wont then you can take the TP to court for any shortfall which again should be met by their insurers.

Do you have legal cover as part of your policy, get them to do that for you.

No didn't take legal cover out but am more than happy and confident to deal with it myself to be honest. Just waiting for the TP to accept liability or could be a long process of police and witness evidence coming into play.

TP turned into oncoming taffice to turn right just has I went through the lights and boom!!!

Apparently because my policy was through M&S underwritten by LV I'm not entitled to a replacement car even though my policy states that I am, they say because it was through M&S and not direct with LV I don't get one. And to date I have not had one for 16 days now, and counting looks like a nice claim for loss of use as well.

The FOS frontline are not the best, they will almost always go in at retail, always have, even the IOB (their precursor) used to. Adverts are pants, i have no idea why insurers still ask, other than due to poor trained staff dealing with claims like the did years ago. The internet killed the idea of local market.

Take an interim payment and dsipute, don't listen to LV about if they can't make a recovery and will affect your ncd (they will try this), if they play this game go to the FOS. If you accept an offer from your insurers, contrary to the above good advice, you will have a nightmare getting this through the courts, plus you won't be able to claim lou past a reasonable period if you could have taken an offer.

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the advice guys LV have come back to me with a very fair offer and we have now settled. NCD is protected so no worries on that score and loss of use will be 16 days from claim to settling so can't see that being a problem either. Got another £1000 out of thenm which means I can replace like for like already found the car all in all not a bad experience just went on a few days more than it needed to really.

• 1 month later...

Well the saga is continuing.

Total loss claim setttled and new car on road again now.

It's now 8 weeks since my accident , LV have so far not confirmed with TP insurer liability for accident, and therefore no payment of my £300 excess back.

I only have registration details for other vehicle would it be worth me chasing this myself with TP (AVIVA) over the phone? Any ideas how long something like this can take? I desperately need that excess paying back sooner rather than later.

Yes you could chase AVIVA up about this. Sometimes they just appear to leave it as long as possible to rebate excesses, where their Insured was at fault.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Well according to LV they are going to claim the excess back for me, but if what you say is correct then I will just add it to the losses on my PI claim.

Your excess is an uninsured loss but it you include it as a special damage with your PI claim you have to wait until your claim settles which could be months.

Who is doing your PI claim for you?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

advice needed.

Did not have legal cover when accident happend so am at a bit at a loose end. LV are supposedly chasing my uninsured loss of £300 excess for me, but to be honest are not doing a very good job, as they seem to be just sitting on their hands.

They have not even got any admission of liability from TP after 12 weeks of trying.

I have a schedule of other uninsured loses and have drafted a letter to TP insurer givng them 14 days to reply or I will persue in the County Court. I have no details of the TP other than registration number of vehicle. Both the police that attended and 2 independent witnesses state I was at no fault.

Should I go this route now or wait for LV?

Do I issue against AVIVA the third party insurer?

Thanks for reading.

Think you have to allow 3 months to pass before you can issue a court claim. You have to issue a letter before action to the third party driver, saying that you will issue a court claim, if the relevant amount is not paid within 21 days. You then can issue the court claim against the third party driver, using the online small claims court process. Tell LV that you are doing this before you proceed, as they may not back you up if you lost. I.E you may have to pay relevant costs, if you lost.