Tax overpayment....2008/2009

clemma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoping someone has a suggestion.

I sent the tax office a letter using the ESC A19 as they say my other half owes £412.15 from this period. He was working for an agency form May 2008 - September 2008. He then began an new job in February 2009. The reference they give applies to the job he started in 2009, not 2008. However, they are saying the overpayment happened when he was working for the agency

"you had the benefit of duplicate personal allowances against your employments with (agency) and (company agency sent him to). You had four separate periods of employment with (agency). For the last 3 periods of work with them they correctly operated the BR tax code; however for he 1st period they operated tax code 543L. We were first made aware of the source when the end of year P14 details were received".

That being the case, they were aware in April 2009 that he had this apparent overpayment. They did nothing for the tax year 2009/2010 or for 2010/2011 and the first he knew was when he received a letter in February 2012.

By my reckoning ESC A19 DOES apply as they have had possession of 2 further P14's (in April 2010 and April 2011) but failed to act upon this information. They also allowed the arrears to build up over 2 consecutive tax years.

I am unsure as to what my next step should be. My oh was PAYE meaning he had no control over the amount of tax he was paying and has presumed, quite rightly, that he was paying the correct amount. I am also confused as to why the tax reference number they quote belongs to his employer from February 2009 - February 2011 and not the tax code of the agency.

Do I just re-write to them, using their dispute sheet, stating what I have written above? Help....anyone?

Just spoke to his old employer (from Feb 2009 - Feb 2011) and they are going to send out a statement of earnings - i.e carbon copies of his P14's from tax years 2008/2009, 2009/2010 and 2010/2011. Just wondering if sending this will help as I can basically tell them "you had THIS information to work from and could have adjusted his tax code in any of the given tax years from 2009 - 2011."

Hi Clemma.

I am not as clued up on the HMRC side of this but l think his P14's might help. I would advise you take copies of these and send them the copies. Sorry l cant be more helpful.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

S'ok. It's statement of earnings that they are sending which is essentially the same info as the P14's. That better shut the tax office up. They made the mistake.