Advice on road tax please

moozer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4453 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I need clarification on road tax rules.

I have a car that has been SORN'd - due to expire May 31st 2012. I have arranged for the car to be back on the road. I taxed it online on Saturday 18th Feb 2012. MoT done and okay and insurance in place. I am to pick the car up on Monday 20th Feb 2012, but I don't know (or at least can't find information) if I am legally permitted to drive the car without displaying a tax disc.

Please help, because I can't find the information I need - DirectGov website is vague.

Moozer

There are 5 working days grace for displaying a licence where a SORN declaration has ceased to be in force. (in the OP's case, they will expire on Monday 27th February)

s. 33 (1B) Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994.

There are 5 working days grace for displaying a licence where a SORN declaration has ceased to be in force. (in the OP's case, they will expire on Monday 27th February)

s. 33 (1B) Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994.

It's all very vague when reading the directgov statements as it doesn't clarify exemptions such as taxing part way through a month and taxing a previously SORN'd car.

So I am okay to drive?

And if I don't receive my tax disc by Friday - get in touch with DVLA?

Details are not showing at the moment on Vehicle Enquiry section on Directgov website. Is that normal if I have taxed at the weekend?

Moozer

Edited by moozer
added info

directgove does tend to generalise and can be vague, but from Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994:

'(1B) A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (1) or (1A) by using or keeping a vehicle on a public road during any of the 5 working days following the time when a licence or nil licence for the vehicle, or a relevant declaration applying to the vehicle, ceases to be in force, if an application for a licence or nil licence for or in respect of the vehicle to run from that time has been received before that time'.

As the SORN declaration has ceased to be in force because you have taken out a licence, the 5 days grace applies.