PPI newbie with oldie claims

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following a relatively successful collection of bank/credit card charge claims, I would like to have a go on the PPI front, but there could be a number of issues..

I had loans from my three previous bankers Co-op, Halifax and Lloyds and various cards with the usual credit card suspects MBNA, Lloyds etc.

I am pretty sure that most of them had associated PPI and I think I would have a reasonable claim for mis-selling as I was a self employed consultant during the life of the loans/credit cards.

Problem number one is that the loans/credit cards date back well over 6 years, probably more like 16 years. They were all frozen into a debt management plan in 2002 which has recently been completed.

The excellent SAR template requests full financial history but judging from some other threads, the banks/card companies seem reluctant to go back past 6 years with a familiar 'no records available' excuse.

Problem number two is that I have no detailed documentation for any of the loans/cards so I would be entirely reliant on the SARs providing sufficient information to establish a claim. Again, I notice from some threads that quite often the info received was not complete and/or did no match the request so I am not optimistic that I would be able to obtain sufficient details to make a claim.

Problem number three is that assuming I was able to pick the required info for a claim from the SAR, the banks/card companies probably would not want to play ball due to the age of the agreements.

I understand FOS will not entertain claims prior to 2001 which would just leave the courts as the sole option. I would be reluctant to pursue the latter course as I have had previous experience with a bank charges court case against Lloyds which required significant work.

My dilema is am I being too pessimistic and I should I risk a few ten quid punts on SARs when the odds of a successful outcome may be quite slim, or reluctantly accept that I have missed the PPI claims boat?

Any advice or comments from others in a similar position would be much appreciated.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I have decided to get the ball rolling on the SARs but would still appreciate the views of site members on the the likelyhood of success.

I also had a loan with a company called Lombard who could now be defunct. If this is the case (anybody know?), I assume that I will have to claim directly to FSCS.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I have decided to get the ball rolling on the SARs but would still appreciate the views of site members on the the likelyhood of success.

I also had a loan with a company called Lombard who could now be defunct. If this is the case (anybody know?), I assume that I will have to claim directly to FSCS.

If I have my facts right - Lombard became First National Tricity Finance Ltd in 1999, they are now apart of GE Money.

My dilema is am I being too pessimistic and I should I risk a few ten quid punts on SARs when the odds of a successful outcome may be quite slim, or reluctantly accept that I have missed the PPI claims boat?

Any advice or comments from others in a similar position would be much appreciated.

Hi Brett48.

Yes. SARs to all and then decide on which ones you will or will not take on. I have managed to claim a couple back from 12 years ago (loans) which were paid off even though the bank in question had been bought out 6 yrs after the loans were paid off.

Credit cards could be a little trickier as it helps to have all of the statements and, as you say, they can be reluctant to give anything over 6 yrs.

I would see what you get back first.

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Dont know if its any help but if bank statements and credit files are available showing all payments , dates commenced and settled is it then possible to claim PPi or work out the premiums paid. I suppose it could be worked out if total payments were known plus interest rate and sum borrowed. Any body able to shed more light?

Dont know if its any help but if bank statements and credit files are available showing all payments , dates commenced and settled is it then possible to claim PPi or work out the premiums paid. I suppose it could be worked out if total payments were known plus interest rate and sum borrowed. Any body able to shed more light?

Yes. As far as I know you are able to 'estimate' PPI for periods of missing paperwork. Knowing payments, interest etc will help greatly as it will only strengthen your case. My Son in Law, when dealing with Barclays had 8 yrs PPI with statements for only 6 so the first 2 years were estimated on a pro-rata basis as he knew his level of payment.

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Thanks for this info Fishy and Mike. Unfortunately it does not help in my case as I had a shredding blitz on old documents a few years back and I am therefore totally reliant on the banks and credit card companies coming up trumps with the content of their SAR reponses. If they can only go back a certain time, it is possible that I could pro-rata back to the start of the agreements, depending on the payment information provided.

I am nearly complete on my SAR preparations and they will be winging their way to the recipients by the end of the week.

Brett

Hi Brett

I put a SAR into Barclaycard and got a copy of my original application from 1999. It showed PPI would be charged

Thanks Lakesboy, I have never used Barclays but that sounds promising if my SAR banks/credit cards adopt a similar approach. I am hoping that when I pick through the bones of the SAR responses, I too will discover the magic letters PPI.

Brett

And Egg very kindly gave me 10 years worth of statements :-). You may get back more than you hoped for yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Seven SARs fired off a couple of weeks ago and the first response has come back from GE Money re: the Lombard loan via First Tricity Finance. Although confusingly, the response is not from GE Money but from Santander cards who I assume must be connected to GE Money in some way.

Anyway, the bottom line is that they have returned my SAR letter together with my fee cheque and a hand written complimemts slip requesting that I supply the account number.

The Lombard/First Tricity/GE Money/Santander SAR was the only one where I had zero information, not even an account number. Am I right in assuming that the provision of an account number on an SAR is not mandatory and that the combination of my name and address (which was the same at the time of starting the loan) is sufficient for the SAR to be processed? I just want to be sure before I fling it back at them.

Thanks

Brett

Seven SARs fired off a couple of weeks ago and the first response has come back from GE Money re: the Lombard loan via First Tricity Finance. Although confusingly, the response is not from GE Money but from Santander cards who I assume must be connected to GE Money in some way.

Anyway, the bottom line is that they have returned my SAR letter together with my fee cheque and a hand written complimemts slip requesting that I supply the account number.

The Lombard/First Tricity/GE Money/Santander SAR was the only one where I had zero information, not even an account number. Am I right in assuming that the provision of an account number on an SAR is not mandatory and that the combination of my name and address (which was the same at the time of starting the loan) is sufficient for the SAR to be processed? I just want to be sure before I fling it back at them.

Thanks

Brett

Hi

Yes you are correct....they should able to trace you from your full name and the address details from when the loan was taken out and for the duration of the account

ims

• 1 month later...

The majority of SARs have now been returned and congratulations to Halifax/Bank of Scotland who are the clear winers in providing a bundle several times larger than anyone else and the only bank to send by recorded delivery. Overall, the quality of info provided has certainly improved since my last foray into the murky world of SARs when reclaiming bank charges a few years back.

The PPI content was a litlle dissapointing however with only Halifax coming up trumps with a cedit card PPI cancelled after a year and an amount entitled 'MSF CREDITCARE' of around 12% added to one of my loans which sounds like it could be PPI in disguise.

Still waiting on 2 SARs to come back - LLoyds who returned my original request because it did not have a signature (delaying tactics?) and Lombard aka First tricity Finance aka GE Money aka Santander who seem to have finally got the message after 2 returns that they can delve into their dusty archives for my info without an account number.

So I can now whack in a couple of claims to Halifax but I have a couple of questions for the site team:

Do I need anything else apart from the template letter, calculation spreadsheet and FOS questionaire?

Is there a special PPI claims address for Halifax or should I just use their standard registered office address?

Thanks

Brett

The majority of SARs have now been returned and congratulations to Halifax/Bank of Scotland who are the clear winers in providing a bundle several times larger than anyone else and the only bank to send by recorded delivery. Overall, the quality of info provided has certainly improved since my last foray into the murky world of SARs when reclaiming bank charges a few years back.

The PPI content was a litlle dissapointing however with only Halifax coming up trumps with a cedit card PPI cancelled after a year and an amount entitled 'MSF CREDITCARE' of around 12% added to one of my loans which sounds like it could be PPI in disguise.

Still waiting on 2 SARs to come back - LLoyds who returned my original request because it did not have a signature (delaying tactics?) and Lombard aka First tricity Finance aka GE Money aka Santander who seem to have finally got the message after 2 returns that they can delve into their dusty archives for my info without an account number.

So I can now whack in a couple of claims to Halifax but I have a couple of questions for the site team:

Do I need anything else apart from the template letter, calculation spreadsheet and FOS questionaire?

Simple letter, spreadsheet and questionnaire is all that is needed

Is there a special PPI claims address for Halifax or should I just use their standard registered office address?

I tend to use Registered Office although their website may give you a dedicated PPI address. If you , send it recorded.

Thanks

Brett

ims

• 4 weeks later...

Lloyds eventually delivered a chunky SAR bundle which revealed PPI on a credit card opened in 1994 and closed in 2000.

I found the specific claims addresses on their websites with 2 Halifax claims and 1 Lloyds claim now despatched, approx £4000 in total.

I am still pessimistic about any of my claims being successful because they all relate to stuff in the 90s and early 00s which is way out of the bank's and FOS acceptable date ranges but we will wait and see ...

On the Lloyds claim, the SAR could not provide copy statements before 2000 so I have estimated the monthly PPI amount prior to 2000 based on the average PPI showing on the half dozen statements I have after 2000. I am not sure if this is acceptable practice but it was the best I could do with the information available.

Lombard aka First tricity Finance aka GE Money aka Santanderlink3.gif have finally admitted defeat on my SAR, returning my request and cheque for a third time. The Information Commisioner is now delving into my request but I am expecting a similar no can do response.

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Lloyds initial response has been to dismiss my claim on the grounds that they could find no evidence off PPI in their records, despite PPI premiums showing clearly on the copy statements which I included with the claim. This smacks of the standard first refusal letter tactics employed on bank charge claims a few years back in a vain attempt to deter people from pushing their claims further.

It does not wash with me so the claim has been whacked off to the fossie boys to do their business, hopefully wit a successful outcome.

Halifax have acknowledged receipt and are still deliberating ....

Brett

• 2 months later...

Halifax Town 2 Lloyds Wanderers 0

Fair play to the Halifax boys who have not only accepted both of my claims but are paying almost double the amounts I claimed using the standard loan and credit card spreadsheets, around £2.5K in total - Result !!!

One cheque already received and the other on it's way ....

What a difference to their brothers at Lloyds who have already kicked my claim with equal merit into touch and left poor under pressure referee, Mr FOS, to think about showing them the red card sometime next year.

Brett

Halifax Town 2 Lloyds Wanderers 0

Fair play to the Halifax boys who have not only accepted both of my claims but are paying almost double the amounts I claimed using the standard loan and credit card spreadsheets, around £2.5K in total - Result !!!

One cheque already received and the other on it's way ....

What a difference to their brothers at Lloyds who have already kicked my claim with equal merit into touch and left poor under pressure referee, Mr FOS, to think about showing them the red card sometime next year.

Brett

Nice one Brett :-). Well done.

Mike