• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Currys Avent Laptop, Continuous Failure since purchase

platta
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few days before Christmas 2010 I purchased an Avent laptop for my daughter from Currys in Andover. Away she went happily to her dads with the laptop.

From a month after getting this laptop she had various minor issues but it continued to work but 2months further on it failed....after many arguments with my teenager on giving me the machine to return, I got my hands on it and took it back to Currys. This was now May! The hard drive had failed completely and it had to be replaced.

Upon it's return I gave it back to my daughter. She couldn't use the internet on it. Now I have a small issue with logistics here as she splits time between me and her father so it's not so easy to get the laptop as she usually leaves it at his house. She got her dad to look at the internet (or told me she had) and said it still didn't work. I then took the laptop back to Currys again.....they called the KnowHow team, who said I had to go home and call them myself.

I called KnowHow.....half an hour with a guy on the phone who didn't have a clue....I was telling him it was saying there was a Firewall stopping internet connection. He advised me to go to the shop and buy this and that and do this and that!! I then called again and explained to another guy who solved the problem in 5mins! Currys had replaced the hard drive with one that had an old Firewall on it (Bulldog) which he informed me had caused many issues for Currys and they'd stopped using it now and he couldn't understand why it had been put on the machine (probably because they'd used an old hard drive).

Ok....well, just before Christmas 2011 it failed AGAIN. Many arguments with my ex husband and teenager later, I got the laptop this week (yes brilliant as it's now out of warranty). It's just been to a local PC repair shop and they say the hard drive has failed and completely broken so needs replacing AGAIN. I must stress that this shop has NOT carried out any work, they merely looked at the screen when we switched it on and read what it said. My father went in to Currys and they told him that the replacement hard drive was only covered for 90 days so my question is:

A hard drive Currys replaced under Warranty in May 2011: does that piece have a 1yr warranty? Otherwise we have a £300 laptop that has quite literally spent longer unusable than in working order?

What I want is this laptop working, fully working. However having found reviews it's had awful ones.

You would be entitled to a repair - not a replacement.

Curry's will not honour their statutory duties to you unless you sue them in the County Court.

If you are up for that then probably they will eventually cave in before the hearing. If not, then you will have to go to court and you are likley to win.

It is up to you if you are prepared to take court action.

morning

can i suggest you cantact the following rep we have here on cag

recently we are seeing very good results:

you will not be able to PM

this gent

please follow the info below:

Hi Guys,

you can contact me at http://getsatisfaction.com/curryspcworld/

I will be able to chat to you further from there.

Kind Regards,

PaulThe KNOWHOW Team

or

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forum.

I am sorry to read of the trouble that you have experienced

If you would like to email me at letusknow@knowhow.com with your agreement details and postal details and tel number,

I will look into this for you to see what I can do to resolve this.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and just to clarify

its NOTHING to do with any warranty

they are in ADDITION to your statutory rights under SOGA:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/forcustomers

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I can always count on this Group to help out and give solid advice. Thank you everyone, I will go into Curry's on Saturday with the laptop and request they replace the hard drive (again). I will also print off my statutory rights and argue the repair is in addition to those rights.

Oow I love a good fight....if they won't repair it I shall contact the KnowHow guy mentioned and if I still have no joy then I shall definately issue SCC Action as this laptop was meant to help my 15yr old to do her GCSE coursework.

Thanks again, I shall update you when I've been into Currys :smile:

i'd contact paul

get it sorted before you walk in

but he might be off watch now

dx

and they

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Platta,

Thanks for tweeting me DX. Thanks for taking the time to post your issue up. I am sorry to read that you are still experiencing problems after having the hard drive replaced once before. From what I can read I can see that the unit is now over 1 year old and has a replacement hard drive in the product.

What I can do is if you would like to send me a PM with your full address details on, also include the purchase date, store number (located at the top of the receipt) and the receipt number I will look into getting the out of warranty claim process started for you.

Once I get these details from you I will be able to give you more information as to what we can do complete this issue.

Also it would be no use to go to the store as they will advise you to call up our customer services team as this side of the business is not handled by the store so could be a waste of petrol for you.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

dont forget to mention the Sa01 repairs

just a reminder paul

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone; sorry i've not been on for a while but had poorly baby.

I have emailed Paul so will await his response to see if he can sort this out for me and will let you all know the outcome.

• 1 month later...

Ok an update for you all....sorry been a bit late getting this on.

The laptop was collected and the £50 fee waived by the Know-How team when I called them due to the previous fault with the laptop AND the fact it wasn't far out of Warranty. The laptop was gone for only about 10 days and returned with a brand spanking new hard drive AGAIN. BRILLIANT I hear you say......yes it was, but it didn't last long. I have just had a week away only to return and be informed by my daughter that the damn machine has broken down AGAIN. My ex-hub says it's the same fault as previous which means it's on it's 3rd BROKEN HARDDRIVE.....frustrated is not the word. I am absolutely furious. Tomorrow I get the machine off my daughter and shall be making contact with the KNOWHOW team again and this time they can replace the machine AND the software it had on it!!

Not impressed with Currys machine at all.

well TBH i know its 3 drives not, but that would be the normal action to take

obv its a MB fault now in the driver interface section.

dx

and they

or its the fact pcworld have started using refurbished hdds....

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

So not impressed with Currys. They have offered me vouchers of between £180-£200 toward a replacement machine. I paid £299 (when it was on offer) and will not be settling for anything less. The lady said to me considering it's age now and out of warranty that's all they would offer. I quoted the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 and it didn't get me anywhere. They have the history of this machine listed showing it has been defective since purchase so I cannot understand why they won't just give me the same value back as it will cost me at least £300 to replace it!!

I am now going to report this to the Trading Standards of our local Council.

Hi DX, sorry just seen your post. I did explain to KnowHow that it's clearly not just a harddrive issue but that seemed to go over her head.....frustrated and p'd off is not the word.

Consumer Advice Line have pointed me in the direction of their template letters which will pretty much say refund the lot as it's history shows it's pretty much been broken since I bought it or I take you to Court and they will make the decision on what I am entitled to. They have said that considering the breakdown history it is a good case that the Court will find in my favour and Currys will not only have to fully refund me but also pay costs and likely some damages to me too...... silly Currys!

i wonder what pauls view is on this outcome

doesn't seem right to me either

warranty has NO bearing on a refund level at all.

dx

and they

Hi Guys,

I have been speaking to Platta via email this morning about this issue.

The policy we have in place for a product like this would be if it does go outside of the manufactures warranty period of a standard 12 months then we will look to try and repair it under the normal out of warranty process. Sometimes (like in this case) it isn't always possible and the fault may re-appear. The team who work for the out of warranty department have made the decision to put an offer together for the customer of the above amount and that would be down to the customer to decide if that would be suitable.

The way we work it out takes into account how long you have owned the item and what it would be worth now at street level. To replace the product at this moment in time for a similar spec machine would cost between £190 - £230 depending on brand bought.

I have advised Platta that I am no longer able to offer any more assistance as the OP has decided to take this matter down the legal route. However, I will go and speak to the department now to see if they are able to do anything else. I can almost promise that the offer of a refund will not be considered but I will see what can be done.

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

had the fault occured after the warranty then p'haps fair comment, but thats not really the way SOGA addresses the issue as such.

but this fault is obv one present before the warranty expired

so its unfair to use your 'rule'

it needs to be remembered that a warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, so in effect should not effect those rights at all.

dx

and they

Hi Guys,

I have spoken to the team that Platta has been dealing with and they have put forward another offer which is now been considered.

I do appreciate your last post DX, we do have to go by when the fault was reported. Normally we give any repair up to 7 days to re-appear and if the fault does not come back again we would mark the repair off as complete. Any repair in an out of warranty scenario would have a 3 month guarantee. The original fault was logged well before the original warranty expired and we believe that a reasonable amount of time had passed for it to be classed as the same issue. This is why we have taken the steps to offer the customer an alternative offer.

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team

paul quick question

can the vouchers be used at a clearance store

if so it may be worth pointing the OP in that direction £200 of vouchers at the currys clearance store near us gets a fairly high end laptop

Please note:

the clearance store is a physical store not an online one...

Please note:

Hi Guys,

Just to confirm Labrat's question. The vouchers can be used in a clearance store towards a product. The vouchers can not be used online.

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team