• Tweets

• Thousands more passengers could face delays or cancellations after an arson attack on France's train network on Friday.View the full article
    • you never use or give an email  2nd class stamp with free proof of posting from any po counter dx
    • Much appreciated for the ammendment. The snottier the better right!   What I am assuming is that this response is to be posted to Gladstones? However, I am seeing some users sending this as an email instead, which is a little confusing.  If we're happy with this response, what would you suggest is the best way to send it over to them (post/email), and is there anything additional I could include (if necessary)?  Thanks again! 
    • Hi I've read through other threads to better inform me of the process from here onwards. When I put in the MoneyClaim it gave me a claim number and it currently says to wait for the defendant to respond, they have until 7 August.   It seems their most likely action is to extend that a further 14 days to about 21 August - this hasn't happened yet, of course, as it is only 27 July but I'm anticipating that may be the case. when the expected defence action is taken by EVRi I will need to submit DQ with these responses A1 - no mediation B - my contact details C1 - yes to the small claims track D1 - No.  If No please state why.  I believe the defence will provide some rebuttal to the particulars of claim and so I need to include details as to why the claim requires a hearing.  Is there some certain templated text I can include here or will it vary depending on what the defendant comes back with? I see on the form it mentions the following: Relevant reasons include that there are factual disputes which will need the judge to hear from witnesses directly or the issues are so complex they need to be argued orally.  Hoping to reach out to see what may be the most effective statements for D1 reasoning. E1-5 are pretty straightforward. I want to get ahead of things and be ready to take the next step so I appreciate what advice you may have about the DQ.   Thanks!  
    • Rachel Reeves is set to reveal a public finances shortfall of billions on pounds after a snap audit.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Being chased by martin & co for wifes rent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All.

Desperatly seeking advice!

Around a year ago my wife told me she didn't love me anymore and wanted too separate!

it was agreed that she would move out after i paid her a lump sum and went on a tenancy agreement with her!

My wife left me in January of this year after me giving her £21,000, i would like to ad that she left me for a drug addict and has spent all the money!

She is getting housing benefit but recently her letting company have been contacting me as she has not been paying her rent!! I asked her about this and she said she had paid two months rent, today i receive an email from the management company saying they are about to take legal proceedings against me!!

1. I have never lived in her property

2. She has been using her housing benefit money to buy drugs

3. How do hell do get myself out OFF this situation? Yes i'm on the tenancy agreement! But where do i stand legally/ Do i wait until they take me to court to state my case? I have just recently been discharged from a IVA and it would make me sick to me stomach to have to pay for her and her boyfriends rental arrears, even though she is currently staying with him!

Please help?

1. I have never lived in her property

So why did you go on her T Agreement pres as joint T?

If you are signed as joint T in a family property then you are equally liable for total rent.

There may be some debate whether you were a T. If you signed as G you will be in same position.

LL wants his rent and is entitled to pursue the debt from whom he can.

Edited by mariner51

Hi

I do have to agree with mariner51 on this.

As has been pointed out as you are named on the tenancy agreement as a joint tenant you are jointly liable for rent and any rent arrears.

Why did you not get your name removed from the tenancy?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I was staying at my parents at the time and she wanted to move out and the only way I was going to get back in my house was to come on the tenancy agreement with her! As otherwise she wasn’t going to budge, She has been paying fine paying rent until now! My life has been turned upside down and all i want to do is move on.

So what can I do now? I honestly don’t understand how she can get council to pay her rent but use the money for drugs, she is so messed up if she knew i was liable for the rent should would definetly let me pay it! I'm having trouble paying my mortgage and child support.

If this went before a judge and the judge found out that she was recieving housing benefit and not paying it towards her rent how would that effect me? Martin & co have served her notice and she will be out in Febuary

Edited by vialli69

As you are legally bound to pay (being a joint tennant) I would personally talk to the agency and get them to issue a section 8 eviction notice on you both ( I know you don't live there but you are legally bound to the TA), then let them know about your IVA and then come to a deal with them. Looks like you are going to be stuck with the bill as they are more likely to get the money from you then your wife.

The quicker she is evicted the less money you will have to pay.

Sorry it is not what you wish to hear but you are legally bound.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

As you are legally bound to pay (being a joint tennant) I would personally talk to the agency and get them to issue a section 8 eviction notice on you both ( I know you don't live there but you are legally bound to the TA), then let them know about your IVA and then come to a deal with them. Looks like you are going to be stuck with the bill as they are more likely to get the money from you then your wife.

The quicker she is evicted the less money you will have to pay.

Sorry it is not what you wish to hear but you are legally bound.

They have served her notice and she is due out in Febuary, i know she has a month and a halfs security deposit with them! Martin & co also said they can get the council to pay the rent directly to them after 8 weeks of arears, bu all they wanted to do was get the property let!

Truth be told i will have to go to court over this, even though i make decent money, by the time i pay my mortgage child support and bills i have nothing left.

So worse case senario 3 months rent arears , they have a month and a halfs security deposit! Martin and co can get housing benefit paid after 8 weeks, i think i need to ride this out!

I

LA should apply for HB to be paid direct to them now. They don't have to wait for 8 weeks, T is irregular payer and new Govt guidelines allow for earlier direct payment if it helps the claimant stay in the property. If LA only served a s21, they cam suggest it was a warning to T, not that they definately intend to seek repo.

When did T start, exact date on AST?

In Eng / Wales?

Rent payable monthly? What date?

How long was fixed term? 6 or 12 month or longer?

How much rent is unpaid as of today?

If s21 was served in early Dec, then it will expire in early Feb ( if Feb 12 is after the end of fixed term) and LA could seek repo hearing (say 1 month to get into Court, then 4-8 week to engage Bailiffs & ex-wife could claim upto 42 days extension before eviction. Or she could just leave without Notice on last day of fixed term. So you could be liable for rent until Jul 12. Any property damages will be deducted from deposit before rent & you would be liable for any shortfall.

If LA is willing to offer your ex a new Contract to stay on, this can be done at any time after expiry of fixed term., which you do not sign. They should do an inspection before/at start of new AST, deduct damages etc from deposit and Ts. Then your liability would end.

Don't ride this out, go talk to LA and see if they are willing to offer ex a new AST asap and limit your exposure.

The Tenancy started January 7th 2011, so it's ending in a couple of weeks, i have tried to make my ex-wife of this but she is ignoring everything, the LA just want the property back! Please read below the email i have sent the LA

Dear ****,

Thank you for your email and the attached AST.

I completely understand the position ****** has put us in and I have contacted her asking her to get in touch with you to resolve the situation as it is her that has been living there. I have not had a response from her yet, but I want you to know that I will do what I can to assist you in getting the keys back either before or at the end of the tenancy. As you say the additional costs involved in her staying put and incurring further rent arrears, and then having to go down the legal route will be substantial and I would of course prefer that not to happen.

As you are aware I have never lived at the address and the only reason I was put on the tenancy was to ensure the children had a roof over their head during our marital separation. I do understand I am therefore considered jointly liable for Aileen’s rent arrears, however she had informed me that she had brought her rental payments up to date, so was lead to believe she had caught up with her rent and was handing over the housing benefit she receives for the rent. Her claim for housing benefit is not a joint claim.

It is with my regret that I am now in this situation because of her dishonesty, and agree that the best option is for her to vacate the flat as soon as possible.

Please continue to keep me informed of the situation, as I will you if I have contact with her. Hopefully we can get this resolved as soon as possible.

Kind regards

I'm going to work with them!

She is so out of head on drugs! When it's all said and done and we end up going to court i wonder how the judge will look upon her when she has spent all her housing benefit on drugs!

How would the judge look upon this?