• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

An unenforceable agreement with no prescribed terms IS a civil matter.

If finance companies want to build a scaffold, make a noose, put their neck in it and ask you to pull the lever, that is their business.

Its not TS's role to say "Thats not a good idea"

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It just boils down to the fact that no one is going to fight your battles for you.

You just have to make sure you go into your battle armed to the teeth.

You have just entered The Armoury, main man.;)

Write back them and ask them to state what in the Consumer Credit Act 1974 leads them to believe that:

"If you intend to challenge the bank's right to any payment because no agreement exists between you, then this is a very risky move"

and

"you used the card so there must have been some form of agreement"

:D

Exactly, goldlady.

It would be very easy to show how much was borrowed and how much was repaid.

Without an agreement to pay any interest, any attempt to enforce an outstanding amount could be be construed as harassment.

Thats a thought-

A claim for damages under Protection from Harassment Act.

The Claimant believes he/she is being harrased by XYZ Bank PLC for an amount XYZ Bank PLC claims is owed in interest.

The Claimant denies any enforceable agreement exists whereby they ever agreed to pay interest and invites XYZ Bank to prove it or cease and desist harrasment and pay damages of £xxx.xx

This guy needs some urgent advice. I asked him to come to this thread.

Barclaycard are in breach of his CCA request, owe the guy a fortune in charges and have made the mistake of starting enforcement action against him.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/116897-ccj-barclaycard-advice-please.html#post1179140

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Receieved app form and later two copies of T&Cs, one dated dated july 1999. A week or so later, another copy app form arrived, this time with a copy of August 1999 T&Cs.

Credit limit on T&Cs is not that which was given.

Just recieved this email from TS:

I have written to Barclaycard requesting their comments on your complaint.

I have researched your complaint and believe that the information that you have been provided may have satisfied your Section 78 request as the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (as amended) permits the exclusion of signature boxes from the copy of the agreement.

Furthermore, as you have correctly pointed out, every copy must be a true copy.

However, this is subject to any exceptions. In the case of a credit card agreement, the Regulations provide that every copy of the agreement must contain a statement of the 'current terms' if the agreement contains a contractual power of variation.

This means that the copy provided to you by Barclaycard need not be an identical copy to the original agreement.

Changes to the interest rate and your credit limit are permitted as per clauses 3 and 12 of your agreement.

The information you have supplied me with appears to a be a copy of your agreement and includes all the prescribed terms required, subject to the variations.

If the prescribed terms or any other material matter are not included in the copy then Barclaycard would unlikely have complied with your Section 78 request, however, it appears that they have been included and there has been no breach of section 78.

The letter you include from DTI refers only to the circumstances of a Mr Bardsley and is not specific to your own complaint.

You do not appear to have been provided only the terms and conditions of your agreement, as it seems that all the required information has been provided to you.

From the information you have provided me with it appears possible that your request has been met, albeit beyond the prescribed period of twelve working days and one month.

I have written to Barclaycard to warn them about their future conduct in respect of any request made to them for a copy of a credit agreement.

If you believe that you have not signed an agreement with Barclaycard then you are perfectly entitled to raise this as a defence in any court proceedings. A court would be unlikely to enforce an improperly executed agreement.

Furthermore, if you want to be provided with an exact copy of your original agreement you can ask for this information but you will likely have to pay a fee for it.

As I explained earlier, Section 78 does not entitle a consumer to an exact/identical copy of their credit agreement i.e. one which includes signature boxes, the rate of interest and the credit limit at the time of signing as these may be varied throughout the lifetime of an agreement.

Talking to TS is like talking to someone from another planet.

I know they are looking at the same CCA1974 as amended, but how can they ignore/ disregard what we can see, especially when it is brought to their attention for comment?

As can be seen in the above letter, Peter, I sent copies of your communications from the DTI, but as noted, they disregard this as only specific to your enquiry. Jayzuz! :rolleyes:

(Hope you didnt mind me using the letters)

We were just having a natter and a smoke during his fag break.

It was just a quick word and he didnt make any suggestions and scrurried away before I could ask him!

Cant say I blame him. What he did say was that CCA1974 is well established and fairly straight forward to argue either way.

Either something is enforcable or it isnt.

• 1 month later...

magda- if you can take a pic of it, or scan it- dont forget to remove your name and address from it before putting it up here. :)

Have you any had any charges on this card?

If so- you can use this to show the Default Notice to be void and stop them in their tracks.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/122309-id-say-were-winning-2.html

From CAG member andrew1:

I'm sure CT mag won't mind me lifting this over and letting people know the effect we are having on these DCA's. Something the Consumer Action Group have been working at for ages:the Cabot Fan Club has been encouraging people to pound these DCA's with requests to abide by the law and they don't like what we are doing, but it is making its mark and whilst they call us 'rougue debtors' and say we are teaching people to 'Avoid Debt' this is living proof that our campaign is completely the opposite to what they think - all we want is for them to operate within the law and do things correctly - well - someone has noticed! Well done everyone we ARE winning...: enjoy

Credit Today online

- 29/11/2007

Stark warning on CCA preparations

The industry has to be ready to comply with Consumer Credit Act regulations coming in over the next year or it faces successful challenges from increasingly powerful debtors.

That was the message at the Credit Today collections conference in Birmingham yesterday. Joanne Davis, partner in credit and asset finance at BPE solicitors, said there will be more defences available to debtors as creditors are obliged to follow strict guidelines for sending default protection information sheets and default protection arrears notices.

"If you don't do it you can't enforce," she said. "Debtors will know of these duties and if a default protection arrears notice is not sent they have an excuse for non payment."

Davis added that creditors need to think carefully about who takes on these responsibilities when they place or sell debts.

"It is very cumbersome. There are lots of notices to be sent and some lenders are looking at cutting down on default sums because of the complicated regulations."

Meanwhile, George Wilkinson of Wilkinson Associates said there is a 'regulation crunch' affecting the industry. "The OFT has substantially increased powers and they can hurt you," he warned.

"You're going to spend a lot more time and money on training and procedures and will be collecting less," he added. "

• 1 month later...

Spotted this-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-charges-media/127424-bbc-midlands-credit-card.html#post1335383

The link doesnt work, but this what it refers to:

BBC News Player - Credit card debts wiped

This is the website:

Credit Card Killer - Wipe your debts away!

They want 20% of your debt upfront as a "sevice charge"

Where do we find out about the Court of Appeal judgement that (they claim) now makes 75% of all CCAs unenforceable?

Yes, of course we have known that for ages, but it appears that there is now case law supporting our long held views.

In their website sales pitch, specific mention is made of:

1) applications made on forms picked up in shops/petrol stations

2) applications made on form received as mail shots.

Anyone thinking of paying them the £55 for a "report" would be well advised to hang fire. Whatever debts they have wiped as a result of their victory in the Court of Appeal, the judgement will soon be available to all- for free.

We just need to locate the judgement they refer to.

BAILII - BAILII Databases

Good stuff Ian, though I doubt they would provide the case number.

Hardly in their commercial interest, is it, but isnt it rather, well, unconventional, setting yourself up without actually having any legal qualifications and then wanting payment upfront?

I wonder how much from this thread went into the case they presented...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4974 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks