• Tweets

• LOL. after sending Perch capital a CCA request with a stapled £1 PO attached (x2) Their lapdog Legal team TM Legal have sent me two letters today saying "due to a recent payment on the account, your account is open to legal/enforcement action" so i guess they have tried to apply that payment to the account to run the statue bar along. dirty tactics lol.
    • I have initiated the breathing space so ill wait. from re reading everything this what i understand BS gives me 60 days break from the creditors during these 60 days they may contact me and will most likely default I need to wait until after a default notice to see whether the OC will keep the debt or sell it off If kept by the OC then i should attempt a plan or pay some token payment? If sold to DCA then don't pay and after 6 years it will leave my credit report once the DN is registered with a date. DCA may start a CCJ but unlikely, if they do come back here. last question, do you know roughly how long this will all take? in terms of defaults/default notice, potential CCJ? Would you say I have 12 months plus from when the BS ends?
    • Well, it's up to you. Years & years & years ago the forum used to suggest appealing to POPLA, but then AFAIK POPLA's remit was changed and it became much more biased in favour of the PPCs. One of the problems with taking that route is that the onus will fall on you to prove your appeal, while if you do nothing the onus is on MET to start legal action which experience teaches they are very, very reluctant to do. If you go down the POPLA route I would think your ace would be insufficient signage.  Are you able to go back there and get photos of their rubbish, entrapping signs?
    • The first clearly visible sign as you pull in to the car park states “McDonald’s Customers Only 60 minutes” The next clearly visible sign is an almost identical sign outside Starbucks which states “60 minutes free stay for customers only” There are other signs towards the rear of the car park (away from the outlets) that have the terms and conditions on them in very small print.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Jimbob v's Barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All.

Having posted on several peoples threads, thought I would start my own (excuse any typo's - crap laptop keyboard). I am currently gunning for Barclays starting with my joint account and then moving onto my personal account.

Joint account being the one with the biggest bank charges (on my reckoning) thought if I can win this one, I can win any! I've currently just filed my MCOL to which barclays have till the 7th October to respond. I will be sending to the court and Barclays legal team a schedule of charges tomorrow on the advice of others on these forums.

I will update my signature with a claims number as soon as I can.

I started proceedings after knowing the joint account would inccur more charges due to a change in circumstances, and being refused an increase in the overdraft limit. Having reduced the overdraft limit by 50% a year earlier, Barclays told me that if I keep within my overdraft for three consecutive months, they would indeed increase it! My reply was (after I had stopped laughing ), if I could do that, why would I be here? If I could keep within the overdraft, I would be looking at possible reducing it, not increasing it.....

Cheers

"The instant you open your mouth to describe a problem you can't fix, the solution you need will occur to you!"

Claim against Barclays 1.

Settled in full - 17th January 2007.

Claim against Barclays 2.

Settled at 75% of offer - cash required for Xmas.

Claim against Smile.

Settled in full, without MCOL involvment.

Claim against MBNA.

S.A.R. - 18th September 2006

Pre Lim - 24th November 2006

Damm, forgotten about this one!

• 2 weeks later...

A question for all of the knowledgable people in this forum.

My notice of issue gives Barclays till the 7th October to reply to my claim. Do I take it, that the actual timing is midnight on the 7th October, or is it midnight on the 6th October?

If they decide to file an acknowledgement of claim, which gives them a further 14 days to submit a defence, would I be notified before the deadline, either by a letter or on MCOL?

Just that if the deadline has passed and I haven't heard anything, reading EX304 states that they can still reply to my claim upto the point I ask them to enter a judgment "by default". Thus 1 minute passed midnight on the day, I will be asking for judgment "by default" - if I'm that lucky that Barclays havent replied to my claim. As I don't fancy them replying after the deadline but before I've asked for judgment by default.

Cheers!

"The instant you open your mouth to describe a problem you can't fix, the solution you need will occur to you!"

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

My understanding is that the deadline is midnight on the 7th.

You can go for judgement at 00.01 on October 8th, but I have read many threads that seem to confirm that Barclays have somehow been able to file their defence at least 24 hrs after the deadline. I am not sure how they manage to achieve this, but it has meant that many claimants who thought that they were "home and dry" have been left somewhat disappointed to say the least

Preliminary Letter sent to Woolwich 05/06

LBA sent 19/06

Court claim filed 04/07 : Total £824.75

Acknowledgement of Service 27/07

Defence received 08/08

AQ filed 11/08

Barclays AQ filed 05/09

Hearing date 20/12

SETTLED IN FULL £840.49: 14/12/06

Somebody has suggested that by filing for judgement you alert Barclays to the fact that they have failed to put in their defence. The suggestion is to wait a couple of days and then go for judgement

Spotty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Statement request 4th May

Prelim Letter sent 24th May

LBA 7th June

Thanks but no thanks letter sent 22 June

MCOL 22nd June

Claim acknowledged 26 June

AQ sent 2nd August

17 Nov Court Date Set for 29 Jan 2007

Settled in full 12/12/06

The above answers confuses me. How exactly are you alerting them ? They won't know either way until you tell them, they don't get notification of you obtaining default judgment. And either way, whether you tell them the next day or a week later makes no difference. I don't get it :-?

I've been onto the HMCS website and downloaded the leaflet EX304 which states the following:

"Until the court receives your request to enter judgement, the defendant can still reply to your claim. If the court receives the defendants reply before your request, that reply will have priority even though it has been filed late."

Which to me reads, get the judgment in as quickly after the 14 day deadline, before the defendant wakes up to the fact that they haven't entered a reply. Since the 8th October is a Sunday, I take it anything entered that day via MCOL won't be actioned till Monday the 9th at 10am. If they have access to MCOL, they could see that I've entered for a judgment of default on the 8th (provided the litagation department at Barclays work weekends), and reply on the Sunday. These are both then seen on the Monday and preference given to the defendants, not unless the transactions on MCOL are time stamped.

It would be nice if anyone has an insight to the workings of this and more precisely the timings...

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

Right just found this in another thread, and it the wording and my understanding of it is correct, then a weekend day for judgment (judgment by default) is the worse day possible. A saturday being worse then a sunday, as this gives Barclays two extra days to acknowledge the claim.

Copied from the HMCS website:

"Once you have submitted your request for judgment by default, MCOL will deal with your request. Where it is received before 9am on a day when the court is open, the request will be processed at the end of the day: where it is received after 9am, it will be processed on the next day (again, at the end of the day) when the court is open and may not appear on MCOL until the following day (see viewing the progress of a claim).

This means that, if the defendant files a response (an acknowledgment of service, a defence or a part admission) with the court by 4pm on the same day as your request is to be processed, the response will take priority over your judgment request."

Re-reading it for the tenth time, provided Barclays do not do anything till 4:01pm Monday 9th October and I've submitted judgment by default by 9am Monday then I should have won. But this favours Barclays who has previously had 14 days to file a reply, but gives them another two days grace (Sunday and Monday till 4pm). Shouldn't it favour the claimant? this probably explains why essjaysea in post 3 mentions about Barclays being able to file a reply way after the deadline has passed.

The link for this information can be found here : Her Majesty's Courts Service

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

Thsi may be a daft question, but if your claim was served on 20th sep, after you filed on 15th, as per your sig, 14 days after that is 4th oCTOBER, surely, ie today? :confused: If they have not acknowledged by then , you can go for it:)

Why should it favour the claimant? You are the one on the attack, therefore you already are -in theory- already in a advantageous position.

Yes, the court's deadlines are fairly lax. However infuriating it is for us, think on how it would be if you were the Defendant, agains the might of a multinational. Wouldn't you be glad then to be given that little bit of extra time?

Don't fret it, it's not worth it. Remember that even if you get a default, Barclays will apply to get it set aside anyway.

Besides, they've got plenty of time to deal with it still. Barclays always leave it to the last minute.

Having read an earlier post about the dates and deadline day being today, even though I filed the MCOL on 15th (Saturday), it was deemed issued on the 18th (Monday), and considered to be served on the 23rd (Saturday). The 14 day deadline is from the date the claim was deemed served - 7th October.

Either way, it doesn't really matter as Barclays have acknowledged the claim today, having checked on MCOL, and now have till the 21st October to enter their defence. Just waiting for the AQ to be delivered now, what fun filling that out is going to be.

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

I heard on the news the other day, that were considering using another saint as the patron saint of England as opposed to St George. They think that he in all truth, probably never even placed a foot in this land of ours.

We should all start a petition to get the moderators of this forum put forward for the new patron saint(s) of England.

Signed:

James G, Daventry.

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm awaiting for barclays to submit thier defence (deadline 21st October) and then the arrival of the AQ. If the amount being claimed is above £1500 you have to send a cheque for £100, and if below then nothing. Does the £1500 limit include the 8% interest charged or is it just based on the original amount? The reason for asking is that my amount falls under the £1500 but when adding the 8% interest and court costs goes way above this.

Thanks

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

Still waiting for the question in my previous post to be answered, if anyone can help.

Also, Barclays have entered thier defence which is showing on MCOL, however, I have yet to recieve any paperwork, including the AQ. My new question is: I'm away from Wednesday (for a couple of days), if the AQ hasn't turned up by then, how long do I have in order to return it to the courts? (I am thinking along the lines of submitting a AQ from PDF format as opposed to the actual form recieved in the post before I go away.) The 28 day deadline from the online claim being deemed served was the 21st October.

Cheers for anyones replies.

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

Sorry, I can't find the answer to your question about the fees anywhere. I found a suggestion in Patricia Pearl's book that fees are based on claim plus interest (so you would have to pay), but it's not very clear. I hope wiser council can come up with an answer for you.

On the second point though, you have 14 days to return the AQ - so your 2 days away shouldn't be a problem.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Thank-you VictimNoMore, yes the fees applies to the TOTAL amount including court costs and interest. Having just recieved my AQ, the deadline date is indeed 14 days time.

The defence Barclays submitted to the court with reference to my case, the first section implies that I, the claimant, haven't provided them with proof of the illegal charges and the dates thereof. Now I know some people on these excellent forums haven't submitted a schedule of charges to Barclays team in London, and therefore, this section probably applies.

However, having sent Barclays litigation team in London and Northampton courts a copy of the schedule of charges via "signed for" delivery - I know they have a copy. (This was sent a day after the MCOL was deemed served.) Therefore it is obvious Barclays are simply using the same text for each defence, regardless. Which in itself proves that Barclays are either overwhelmed at the sheer number of cases (I have two) or simply are not taking these court cases seriously (which will not impress any judge).

Should I in section G of my AQ, as well as using the well rehearsed text found in many places, add another paragraph stating that I cannot understand why Barclays in there defence, fail to acknowledge having details of the charges that are considered illegal, since the court and Barclays were sent the schedule of charges via recorded delivery? Should I point out that Barclays are not acting responsibly since they are not treating each case independently, and giving each case the attention a court case deserves?

Thoughts anyone?

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

No advice I'm afraid, just an opinion to offer.

It's a fair enough point. However, I don't feel it would be of much advantage to enter your complaint on the AQ. On the other hand, I don't think it'll do you any harm either. If it makes YOU feel better to "get it off your chest", then I say do it.

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

As Victim said, there will be no point as it's their standard first paragraph in all defences.

But, when you file via MCOL, this is done on line and they are technically correct because on the actual form you do not list a schedule of charges. There's no room and no facility to do so. It's splitting hairs and not worth pursuing in my opinion even though you do send them a copy via mail.

To follow my case progress, click here to see where I'm at right now.

Welshman

• 4 weeks later...

I've completed the AQ, sent it off to my local court (Northampton the home of MCOL) and my cheque has been cashed. Just waiting for a court date to be set and sent to me. Does anybody know what sort of timescale the Northampton court are working to? i.e. From AQ going in to court date being set, how long?

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

Sorry..misread the last post

Preliminary Letter sent to Woolwich 05/06

LBA sent 19/06

Court claim filed 04/07 : Total £824.75

Acknowledgement of Service 27/07

Defence received 08/08

AQ filed 11/08

Barclays AQ filed 05/09

Hearing date 20/12

SETTLED IN FULL £840.49: 14/12/06

Hiya! It all depends how busy your court is, mine is very busy (Coventry) mine took around a month! hang in there not long, mine is on 12/03/07! kind of hoping yours is earlier than mine so I can lean on you for bits of advice...... C xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya ChesterB, I've been very busy with other things for a month or so now, and haven't been able to update the status in here. However, things have progressed over the last week.

I first recieved a reply from the courts asking me to submit a schedule of charges, proof that these charges are valid (statements - which have since gone walkies), and reason why I cannot get these back (or words to that effect). The statements (from the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)) have gone missing as we are in the middle of selling the house and things have been tidied up so many times for viewers that I've no idea as to where they are. But I've re-requested the SAR and hopefully get these back in time.

I have to get these to the court before the second week in January, then for the defendant to reply back by the first week in February and then a court date will be announced.

However, today through the post, I recieved a court date for the 23rd January, which leaves me in a conumdrum about sending the details off! In the meantime to this case, I've settled with Smile and another Barclays bank account (accepting the initial offer). The second Barclays bank, knowing that they offer in the region of 50-60%, I upped the number of charges (went back alot further than 6 years), exaggerated a little and got a 75% settlement offer on the true value. This was accepted and paid for Xmas!

So I am now on a 38 day countdown to my court case, anyone fancy a day out in Northampton?

Claim against Smile.

Claim against MBNA.

WAHEY! Result then! Wish my courts were a little bit more in the know, then I would have had my cash back before chrimbo, however suits me, as Im being made redundant very very soon (FRIDAY!), and could do with the cash so....... Its all good!

Ill keep an eye out on this! Looking forward to your early settlement xx