• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First Post to say Hi and try to understand Swift Advances....

jonny512379
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

My first post here so please be gentle.... :-)

Swift Advances have (what i feel) been hammering my father for years.

He took out a loan (2 loans) with them several years ago, secured against his home.

Got behind on their payments and subsequently had a charge placed on his property (and from what i can gather also substantial charges added to the debt too).

He now pays them more regular, but is still in a permanent areas situation, again this is incurring hefty fees that i think are being added to the end of the debt and incurring a higher rate of interest!

To clear this debt my Father will be making payments well into his 80's.

I feel that they are charging way too much interest and fees of which both are prolonging the debt.

Every month more fees are added of which gets more interest!

I need to get the paperwork and work through it with my Father, but i now feel that that have been paid enough, well over the original debt amount, yet from what i can see more than the original debt is still owed (according to a recent settlement figure provided).

I have read through some of this forum, but it is still confusing at the moment.

Could i ask if there is anyway we could have this debt unsecured, so that we have better negotiation powers for a sensible settlement amount. Or if they will not agree on a sensible amount, payments to them could simply be stopped without having repossession worries (as i say i think they have made enough profit already!)

I will find out some more details of the loans, if anyone is interested/needs them.

But is anyone would like to point me in the right direction on anything at all that can be done to reduce the amounts they demand i would be very grateful.

Or if you can suggest what i should be reading / trying to understand

(we don't have money for legal help, but once i get my head around all the laws associated with this i will be happy to represent ourselves in court, if needed).

Thanks

Jon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also is it possible to speak to anyone from swifts "face to face"?

Is there anyone within swift that has the sole power to agree to any terms they see fit? and if so who are they?

Thanks again

Jon

• 1 month later...

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Jon

Swift are nothing but licensed bandits in my opinion. They have recently picked up a hefty fine from the FSA

I'm happy to help you with figures etc to help you get back what is right.

Now, these charges that they have been adding to the loan for late payment, phone calls, letters etc can all be claimed back. We can also analyse the behavour of the loan and see if it is being administered correctly.

These charges have all been added to the loan balance and interest has been charged on them.

If you're happy to work with me on this and put some time and effort in we can move towards an understandable outcome.

Are you up for it?

Regards

ims

Hi Jon

Swift are nothing but licensed bandits in my opinion. They have recently picked up a hefty fine from the FSA

I'm happy to help you with figures etc to help you get back what is right.

Now, these charges that they have been adding to the loan for late payment, phone calls, letters etc can all be claimed back. We can also analyse the behavour of the loan and see if it is being administered correctly.

These charges have all been added to the loan balance and interest has been charged on them.

If you're happy to work with me on this and put some time and effort in we can move towards an understandable outcome.

Are you up for it?

Regards

ims

Thank you so much for your reply and offer of help!

I have most of the paper work now, but can't work out what the best course of action to take is (short of calling down to swift with a large stick, which i am not against considering their actions, but i know this is not the best way....)

Any advice you can offer, or if you can let me know what details you will need from me to better understand the account. I will be very grateful for any help.

As mentioned before, Swift have secured their loan against my fathers home (it has been to court). In in ideal world i would like this reversing if at all possible; And to be honest if we can get this reversed all payments to them will be stopped (i feel they have been paid enough and ii am happy to play with any bailiffs they chose to send).

I will look forward to your reply and am happy to put in whatever effort and time is required to get one over on these W*****.

Best Regards

Jon

Hi

Do you have the original agreements?

if so can you post them up in PDF format MINUS ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION, BARCODES AND ACCOUNT NUMBERS.

Do you have all of the statements in respect of these accounts?

Regards

ims

Hello Ims

I do not have any statement in the papers from Swift, (just lots of threatening/areas/charges letter and court papers) although my Father did request a settlement figure from them last year, so i should be able to get hold of this.

My Father says he has called them to ask for a full statement of the account, but none have ever arrived with him.

If you can point me in the right direction of what i need to request from Swift, i will call them and request all the details this week.

The original agreement should be attached to this message.

(i have taken a photo of it and saved it as a PDF, please let me know if this is OK?)

Thanks & Best Regards

Jon

agreement.pdf

Hi

Ok I can see the agreement well.

Next thing is to get hold of all the statements/transaction history on the account. To obtain this you will need to send a Subject Acccess Request (SAR) to Swift. There is a template for SAR in the CAG library, the link to which is at the top of every CAG page in green. There is a fee payable of £10 and they will have 40 days to comply.

From the information that comes back we should be able to work out a claim for any unlawful charges plus interest which can be claimed back.

Regards

ims

Hi

Ok I can see the agreement well.

Next thing is to get hold of all the statements/transaction history on the account. To obtain this you will need to send a Subject Acccess Request (SAR) to Swift. There is a template for SAR in the CAG library, the link to which is at the top of every CAG page in green. There is a fee payable of £10 and they will have 40 days to comply.

From the information that comes back we should be able to work out a claim for any unlawful charges plus interest which can be claimed back.

Regards

ims

Thanks ims21

As suggested i have printed and posted the Subject Assess Request, so hopefully they will send the details this time.

As soon as it arrives i will upload a copy.

In regards to the charges, do Swift (or anyone) actually pay these back or will they simply continue to ignore the laws?

My Father is also worried that Swift may now ask for the total loan to be paid in full (or start the repossession again) owing to us starting "legal" proceedings against them (this could also be made worse as the matter has already been to court and i think the possession order has already been made, subject to an agreement of regular payments). Could they do this or is it likely?

In the mean time is there anything i can do to try and remove the court order placed against my Fathers home? or am i best to wait until the statement arrives (that is IF anything can be done about this situation?)

Thanks again

Jon

Hi

I don't know about getting the charge removed but I can summon some help for you on this one.

With regard to the charges reclaim, the lenders have to abide by the banking code and therefore they are not allowed to take retaliatory action. If you win the case for the charges then they will most likely use the right of set off to pay some or all of any arrears on the account.

Regards

ims

Yes, there is something about Treating Customers Fairly (TCF). ims has flagged your thread for assistance from site team, so someone should be able to advise soon. :)

With ims on the figures side for you.. you are in good hands :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It's Swift 1st who've been fined but the OFT have been investigating Swift Advances too.

I would agree that it's best to SAR Swift first and see what they come up with. Was PPI added to the loan?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think there is nothing you can do about the charge on the house ATM. Getting charges plus interest back will bring the balance down, maybe to the point that the debt can be paid off outright, so getting rid of the charge.

ims21 is giving you good advice - do what ims says

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again.

Thank you to everyone that has replied to me and the advice i have been given, it seems to be working well...so far

To Ims

The SAR details have now been sent to me from Swift Advances.

In total there are around 100 pages, including a copy of their contracts, every letter sent to my father and a partial breakdown of costs and charges.

None of the papers mention anything about interest being charged on the charges (or loan for that matter), so i called them to request this. After a little "telling them how it is going to be" They say they are now sending me details of the interest being charged.

They were able to reasonably quickly calculate both the total account charges and interest added to these charges to:

Charges = £3280.65

Interest on Charges = £3875.21

Totaling = £7155.86

All figuers to the date of 20th Sep 2011.

The phone person also said/agreed that we should be able to claim this back with interest at a similar rate to what they were charging (this would nearly clears the debt in full and again i got her to agree that a senior manager may/could wipe this debt out altogether. The senior manager is supposedly calling me once he receives power of eternity from me )..

If Ims or anyone can please let me know what the next step to take would be i would be grateful?

In addition to the above i notice in the break down of costs/payments, that my father seems to have paid more money to Swifts than he should have done within the monthly payments.

An example of this is:

As of end of January 2008 the required installment by that date are £10,476.61 yet the total amount paid (monies received by swift) are £11,301.36

January 2008 is also the date that Swift initiated Possession proceedings....despite my father paying £824.75 more than they had requested/monthly payments..... I do not understand this, could this be right (maybe my father should have had representation in court other than being bullied into agreeing to their terms by their solicitor.....).

On another note (again)

Having spoken to the monkeys at Swift that answer the phone (eventually the manager so i am told)... they sound extremely keen to help, or should i say they sound extremely keen that i do not take legal action before negotiating with them first. (i will of course not be taking their advice without careful consideration.....).

They also asked my Father to provide details of his health, stating that if he is seriously ill they may be able to help (although they were already told this earlier in the year, but didn't mention helping until i started to "harass" them ).

Now this sounds very suspicious to me as Swift have never come across as helpful in the past (unless it is in their financial interest). Does anyone have any experience as to what swift may do if they class my father as seriously ill?

(i am not sure if i have mentioned this before, but my Father had a stroke early in 2011 and received major surgery to save his life. His doctors (and surgeons) advise that my father should not continue to work owing to him being a self employed plumber, which involves lots of hard work, digging holes, etc. Unfortunately he is not in a financial position to retire mainly owing to the amounts Swift are insisting he pays every month).

Owing to the stress Swift have caused him over the years i believe they have played a big part in my Fathers now failing health (telling the manage that i am going to sue seemed to panic her a little and made her especially nice......).

On the whole i am really enjoying "playing" with Swifts (although of course i would rather i had never heard of them), and am getting well in the mood for ************* them. Does anyone know the name of a person in Swift that has the power to wipe this debt, as i much prefer to negotiate face to face, if i can find this person i will have a bloody good go at "running rings" around them, until they do as i request........

Anyway, BIG thanks again, sorry for the long post and i look forward to/cross my fingers for any replies or advice

Jon

Hi

It strikes me that there may one of two things going on here. Either they are genuinely trying to be helpful and that you have them on the back foot by letting them know that you are prepared to go all the way with this. The other is that they are lulling you into a false sense of security with their offers of "help".

Personally I think we ought to work from the point of view that You Never Trust A Bank.

Did you happen to record this telephone conversation where they admitted the charges and interest could be claimed back and/or balance written off? If not then I wouldn't be relying on that.

The main point now is that you need a paper trail of all events and unless you can record calls I wouldn't try and deal with this on the phone. In addition, should any face to face meetings take place, make sure you control the pace of those meetings and make sure that you make comprehensive notes - even if that slows the pace of the meeting. I would then make sure that at the conclusion of the meeting you get the other party to sign your notes as being a true reflection as to what has been discussed/agreed.

So, to your claim.

In the SAR did you get copy statements or a full transaction history on the account? If you couple the results of the SAR with other paperwork you have, do you now have access to all of the charges applied to the account or is there further information still due from Swift on this. When you have all of the detail of the charges/fees you can work out your own claim with the relevant interest rate and this will be the amount that you will claim back from them.

As far as higher payments are concerned, it is difficult to say at the moment but it may be that they raised the monthly payment in order to set some of the repayment agains the increased balance due to missed payments and/or charges.

I don't know of an individual who you can approach on this within Swift but I would get that schedule of claim sorted first and then submit it with a preliminary letter of claim....but let's get the claim amount sorted first.

Regards

ims

Edited by ims21

Personally I think we ought to work from the point of view that You Never Trust A Bank.
Always a good starting point.

Even if they offer something that seems genuinely helpful, ask the question- what's in it for them?

I would be thinking about sending a letter to Swift which confirms your understanding of the telephone conversation... something along the lines of..

Dear Sir or Madam

On DATE, I spoke to a representative of your company in respect of some queries I had on account 1234567

This is my understanding of that call. (Then you need to set out exactly what was said by the rep) and ask how they intend to proceed.

You mention that someone was supposed to be calling you back.. did they ?

Post any correspondence with at the minimum a free proof of posting .. In this isntance, I would be sending either recorded or special delivery.

BCOBS

• 5 months later...

Hello All

First thanks for all the info above.

I am still having problems with swift (pretty much the same as above). Unfortunately my fathers health has got worse and he is now unable to work, so needless to say the swift loan is now cripling him and also stopping him from selling his home to buy somewhere cheaper.

I have don as suggested above and got a full break down from Swift

I have calculated the charges they have made and called them to ask them what they are willing to do about it.

Unfortunately they have refused to do anything at all.

They have not provided me with any information about the interest charged on the charges, yet the telephone operator at Swift told me this was around £3,500 to date.

If anyone can advise on how i take this forwards, now that i have the figures calculated, i would be very grateful.

Best Regards

Jon

Hi

Responding to your PM and have now reviewed the thread.

So you got all of your SAR stuff including a schedule of all charges applied to the account with dates and amounts.

You say you have done some workings...was that using a compound interest spreadsheet from the CAG site?

ims

Hello ims21

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, we did the SAR and they sent through lots of paper work.

There is a list of all charges applied with the dates and amounts.

However they have not provided anything relating to interest being charged, nor what the total amount still owed is including charges and interest.

I have only used a spreadsheet to calculate the total in charges, but not applied any interest.

I cant seem to find the Compound Interest Spreadsheet that you mention, if you can point me to it i will try to re-do the amounts with the compound interest added.

FYI

The amount in charges and some extortionate legal fees is £3,675 with the earliest charge made on the 6th October 2004 and the latest 14th August 2010.

(the figures only go up to Sep 2011)

Again thank you for your reply!

Best Regards

Jon

Hi

Use this spreadsheet

CISheet v101.xls

List all of the charges (not the legal fees) giving the date of the charge, the description and the amount.

Change the interest rate to the rate for the loan account and see what the total comes to compared to the value of the loan as it is at the moment

Incidentally, the "claim to" date is now, i.e. today.

Have you read No.4 in my signature? If you wish to pursue this in court you can go for interest in restitution which can be at a higher rate than you were being charged on the account.

ims

I have just found and used a file called /interestcalcs.xls (i cant post the full link)

This has calculated the interest from 14/10/2004 up to today @29.9%, but i don't know what Swift are charging

(this brings the total with charges and interest to £10,345.... makes me so angry as he only missed a hand full of payments.....and it cost him this much!)

If you can let me know if i have done this right?

Best Regards

Jon