Drowning and no idea what I even owe anymore

tufker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

No idea if this is in the right place and, to be honest, no idea pretty much sums up my financial situation now.

Put simply, a 40% deduction of earnings order from the CSA has destroyed the last 18 months of my life and it will be ongoing for another 2 years. During this period I have run up debts for council tax, electric, gas, catalogue, bank overdraft, water, you name it, I've got it.

The trouble is, I now don't have a clue who I owe what to, as my various debts (new, old and ridiculously old) have been passed around more DCAs than I can begin to explain. I moved house a couple of months ago and therefore have been mercifully post free for a while, but even I'm not naieve enough to realise it will go away.

Seriously, with the DOE from the Sc*mbags at the CSA I'm just getting further and further in the brown stuff. The saddest thing is that I earn fairly decent money, but forced to live in a bedsit whilst the debts mount up.

I guess where I need help is - how do I find out who I owe what to. I know about the Statute Barred thing and I can recognise a couple of DCA letters which are laughably old, but what the hell do I do about the current stuff.

Any advice gratefully lapped up.

Thx

Hello there, welcome to the forums.

One way to find out about your debts is to make an application for your credit reports from the various credit reference agencies; a word of warning in doing this, though, as as soon as you make that application it's possible for your creditors to be alerted as to your whereabouts.

Much of your debt (e.g. the credit debts) are non-priorities, these firms cannot really do *that* much to you. The council tax arrears are a little bit more important as the local authority has a wide range of tools available to them to recover monies owing (the most popular being the use of private bailiffs).

I can understand that the CSA do have harsh mechanisms available to them to collect child maintenance arrears, please be mindful that these mechanisms are in place for good reason.

I've written a guide to dealing with debts, you can find links to the various sections within my signiture.

Best wishes,

Seq.

• Haha 1

Many thanks for such a quick response Seq. I won't take the bait on the CSA mechanisms as it could turn into a long thread, but I really appreciate the reply.

Cheers

Many thanks for such a quick response Seq. I won't take the bait on the CSA mechanisms as it could turn into a long thread, but I really appreciate the reply.

Cheers

The CSA are a terrible, terrible organisation. I know absolutey what they are like. The sooner they are reformed the better. The other stuff is far easier to get sorted quickly. The blog will give you the basis, we're here to help!

• 3 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.