My car has still got outstanding finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been looking at this foroum and you seem to know alot about the problem iam in. I have recently bought a vehicle from a "friend". That person had owned the vehicle for about 18 month before selling it to me. I bought the vehicle about a month ago before I bought the vehicle i did a check on the car using mycarcheck. I was in a garage yesterday when they did theyre own HPI report on the vehicle and it came showing outstanding finance. The finance is not on the person that i bought the car from, but it is on the person that had the vehicle before that. I did ring the finance company and they stated that they have financial intrest in vehicle and are wanting it back. I am really scared and worried as the car has cost me £6000.

I am not being rude please only give advice or comment if you have been in simmilar situation or if you are 100% sure about what you say

moved to the vehicle repro forum.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have aread inthis forum

it should now get some response being inthe rightforum

dx

siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

OK if it's a hire purchase agreement there is a statutory mechanism by which you can legally claim ownership of the vehicle even though it would normally still belong to the finance company as their customer has never paid all his instalments and therefore never acquired ownership of the vehicle from them. Basically if::

1. You are not a trader

2. You did not know about the finance when you bought the vehicle

3. There was nothing suspicious about the transaction, e.g. vehicle unusually cheap

then you might be able to defeat the finance company's claim to the vehicle. The fly in the ointment is if there is something iffy about the sale by the finance co's original hirer. But that's somthing for the finance co prove. It's usual for the finance co to have some sort of questionnaire for you to complete detailing your acquisition of the vehicle so they can consider whether they might have to abandon their interest in it. Ask them, and then complete it and see what happens.

Thanks for your quick reply, Yes thats exact what they said to me, they say they will send a questionaire for me to fill in. But surely if they wanted the car why did they not take it from the person i bought it from who had the car for 18 month and he didnt have it on fnance the person that he bought from had it on finance. How do i prove that i didnt know about the finance when i bought the vehicle and how do i proof how much i bought it for if i paid cash

OK yes fill in the questionnaire. The reason they weren't looking for the car earlier is most probably because their customer was paying them for those 18 months and they had no idea he had sold it. Usually these things only come to light when the HP stops being paid and they look to repossess the vehicle, only to find it is registered to someone else. You prove you didn't know about the finance just by saying so - what else can you do? They will want evidence of the payment. If it was cash, there must be some evidence to support it e.g. bank statement showing a withdrawal. They'll want to see that.

ok, I bought the car about 3-4 weeks ago until now i have not recived a letter from the finance company I contacted them on friday and told them that my Girl friend is the new keeper, i think at this stage they must of realised that the car has been sold on. Can they just come and towe the car from outside my girl friends house with out sending me any warning letters or any sort of letters