• Tweets

• Thank you for taking your time and helping me on this. Would you recommend I also send a letter tomorrow to both BMW and Motonovo?
    • she and  johnson need to be kicked off the taxpayers credit card - for starters I'm certain there is cause - taking up 'jobs' when they shouldn't, bringing the nation into disrepute with their antics .. I'm sure it would be a very popular act from a new labour guv
    • Please have a look at this draft letter. It is modelled on yours but I have cut out a load of the unnecessary information. Also, the responsibility lies with the finance company because the vehicle was brought on hire purchase. You send it to them and a copy to big motoring world.   Let us know if there's anything that you disagree with, which is wrong, which you think should be added
    • According to Alastair Campbell on Twitter, anti-Le Pen parties are pointing to RN's fiscal policies and saying they'll cause a 'Truss-style market meltdown'. Liz Truss charged taxpayers for Amazon Prime subscription - Mirror Online WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK The subscription costing £95 gives the ex-PM free shipping from the retail giant, as well as the ability to stream films and TV shows such as My Fault...  
    • Thank-you @BankFodder, your statement is a correct understanding of my position and I agree, it is actually really what I was looking for in starting this thread, as I too believed that the maximum I could claim for is that which I sold it for, even though this was substantially below market value at the time. And so, this sold value is what I shall be claiming for + the other expenses. @dx100uk I get your point, but this is just not what I want to expose myself to. Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones to have my details stolen in the Peoples Energy hack, and in 2020 I discovered that those details had been used to take out car insurance, and that the insured was then involved in a collision and my details were dragged through the mud. Despite Aviva cancelling the claim and treating as though it never were, even though I have the letters from them to say that they have removed this claim from the insurance database, I still get refused insurance and credit products to this day until I send across the letter from Aviva which explains that I was a victim of fraud. So you'll forgive me for not jumping up and uploading my data to a server utility for which I have no control over its retention policy, or where the server is located globally, its legal jurisdiction, or its security protocols.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

do i have a chance to claim back costs incurred from job offer?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

wonder if anyone can help. Applied for a job 200 miles from where i live in early oct. Attended interview, was made a conditional offer of employment on the 30th Nov. The conditions were i successfully passed a medical, police checks, references.. Attended medical on the 7th December which was a 100 mile round trip. On the 15th of December i was told i was successful in all aspects and would recieve my start date before xmas with a copy of my employment contract. I handed in the notice on my house (2 months required) notice on my current job (6 weeks required) arranged new schooling and everything else when i got this email ready to move in jan to a new town 200 miles away.

On the 29th December i recieved a "out of the blue" email from the new employer stating they were withdrawing their job offer due to operational reasons. I phoned them and they said that after a head count management decided they had enough staff. I was told to put my complaint in writing and they would be in touch. I told them that basically i believed they were in breach of contract and i would be looking to recoop my expenses etc..... I have attached below their response, I wont find out till next monday if i can withdraw my resignation from my current job as my boss is on holiday till then. I am trying to find out if I have any legal right? or can they just do this? this is a large plc company so i presume they know what their talking about?

Sorry it has taken a few days longer to get back to you after the Christmas Break.

We very much regret the particular unavoidable circumstances that required First Great Western to withdraw your conditional offer of employment.

However, we have looked into your situation and it is clear that First Great Western have not acted in breach of contract as you allege.

Even if a binding contract had been entered into (which we dispute) First Great Western has the right to terminate your contract at any time either before or during your employment. First Great Western will only be found to have acted in breach of contract in such circumstances in the event that the company does not comply with the applicable notice provisions under the contract.

The applicable contract of employment for the role of Carriage Cleaner, which you would have been required to sign prior to commencing employment and which is standard for all Carriage Cleaners in the company, states that employees with less than 1 month's service are not entitled to receive any notice of termination of employment. This reflects the provisions in section 86 of the Employment Rights Act, which set out the statutory minimum notice that employers are required to give when terminating a contract of employment - namely that no notice is required to be given until an employee has completed 1 month's service.

Therefore, as you had not completed 1 month's service, First Great Western had the right to terminate your conditional offer of employment without notice, and the company has not acted in breach of contract in so doing. First Great Western is therefore not liable to you for any compensation.

Edited by ady347

Hi ady

According to CAB's website, it's very brief but it implies you should be able to claim compensation,

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/your_money/employment_index_scotland/dismissal.htm#Steps_to_work_through_to_identify_an_unf

It might be an idea to contact them, take all the documents including e-mails they have sent you.

Ermm - CAB said "may" - and in this case the answer would be "may not".

I am afraid that in law the employer here is correct. They are able, even if an unconditional offer has been made, to withdraw that offer by serving the appropriate amount of notice, which they did. The notice only has to be paid if the agreed start date falls within the notice period - it doesn't so they do not have to pay the notice - and in any case, they are correct that they can dismiss in law without notice at this point in time. Whilst there is a moral argument that they ought to compensate for expenses occurred as a result of their actions, there is no legal way of enforcing this. Sorry

Why so many checks for a carriage cleaning job ?

It is aways sad to see this sitaution where someone hands in notice at their old job only for the new one to fall through, I have had it happen to two close friends and the situation is very worrying, perhaps a new employee should always ask what will happen if the job falls through ?

Andy

Ermm - CAB said "may" - and in this case the answer would be "may not".

I am afraid that in law the employer here is correct. They are able, even if an unconditional offer has been made, to withdraw that offer by serving the appropriate amount of notice, which they did. The notice only has to be paid if the agreed start date falls within the notice period - it doesn't so they do not have to pay the notice - and in any case, they are correct that they can dismiss in law without notice at this point in time. Whilst there is a moral argument that they ought to compensate for expenses occurred as a result of their actions, there is no legal way of enforcing this. Sorry

no offense intended!!!

are you 100% accurate on this, i wasnt sure if this is something you do for a living or have extreme knowledge in this area, so just asking?

im more annoyed about how much i am out of pocket for a job that tbh never existed, 400 mile round trip, 100 round trip for medical, loss of earnings attending medicals etc.... was just a complete waste of time, had they done things correctly they would of realised they had enough staff before advertising the vacancy.

I would of thought that you may be succesful if you could genuinely prove that the job didnt exist and there never was any intention to emply you.

Personally I think FGW attitude is disgusting, they seem to think they can just mess people about without any recourse, it is pretty dispicable, clearly if you started the job and you were totally useless it would be (slightly) fairer to dismiss you without notice, although most emplyers would still give you some notice, (with the exception of gross misconduct).

Unfortunatley to get anywhere with this may involve lots of investigating and may end up costing a fair amount.

I note from the above though that FGW dont actually use the above arguement as they firstly dispute that any contract was entered into, so it may be worth following this up. Did you actually get and sign a contract of employment ?.

Andy

I would of thought that you may be succesful if you could genuinely prove that the job didnt exist and there never was any intention to emply you.

Personally I think FGW attitude is disgusting, they seem to think they can just mess people about without any recourse, it is pretty dispicable, clearly if you started the job and you were totally useless it would be (slightly) fairer to dismiss you without notice, although most emplyers would still give you some notice, (with the exception of gross misconduct).

Unfortunatley to get anywhere with this may involve lots of investigating and may end up costing a fair amount.

I note from the above though that FGW dont actually use the above arguement as they firstly dispute that any contract was entered into, so it may be worth following this up. Did you actually get and sign a contract of employment ?.

Andy

I'm not defending FGW but I know the pressure large employers are under. Where I work we frequently have changes to recruitment policy where they constantly change the rules about filling vacancies with external applicants.

I think it's pretty outrageous that FGW are not at least offering some contribution to his costs. The only thing that is surprising, is why did they drag him 200 miles for an entry level job? Are there no suitable applicants locally?

For what it's worth, SarEl is 100% correct. By all means rattle their cage a bit and they may make some kind of ex-gratia payment, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Edited by Mash It Up Harry

no offense intended!!!

are you 100% accurate on this, i wasnt sure if this is something you do for a living or have extreme knowledge in this area, so just asking?

im more annoyed about how much i am out of pocket for a job that tbh never existed, 400 mile round trip, 100 round trip for medical, loss of earnings attending medicals etc.... was just a complete waste of time, had they done things correctly they would of realised they had enough staff before advertising the vacancy.

Hello there, sorry to hear about your problem. I would find what you're going through very tough. I don't know about the legal side of it, but SarEl does. To answer your question, she's an employment barrister who has been representing employees for the last 30 years.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

no offense intended!!!

No offence taken but since I am getting fed up of answering the question I have worked out how to put a signature on these posts to stop people asking! Hopefully, the answer is - see below!

I realsie that it is very unfair (in world terms) to be in this situation and I agree that morally the employer is in the wrong. But legally they are not. The law is that providing an confirmed offer has been made and a start date agreed, then the contract applies. But it is only the contractual terms that apply - so if the confirmed offer is withdrawn for any reason other than misconduct (eg you got caught lying on the application form) then the employer must serve notice. Now lets say, in a hypothetical situation, the notice period is one month and you are due to start work in one week. The employer, abiding by the terms of teh contract, owes you one months pay on the contractual terms. But the next week is not paid because you were not due to be paid - you weren't working for them yet - so your one months notice would be one week not paid and 3 weeks paid (the time you would have worked for them). That is why the link to CAB said "may".

i had a email which i had to reply to saying "do you accept the job offer". apparantly this counts as a contract but i didnt sign anything in writing except to say i agree to them carrying out checks, references etc..... some people might say i shouldnt of gave notice, but when i was told on the 17th december my start date should follow next week I took it for their word. Due to all the things i needed to do to move 200 miles I needed to get things started.

thanks for everyones advice, its been really appreciated.

Hi ady347

Unless you want to take a hit in your expenditure, work out how much it has cost you, send them a breakdown, send a Formal Letter of Complaint to the CEO of the company. Don't sound aggressive, but tell them you want compensation for the travel, loss of earnings etc. Don't e-mail it, send a letter, make sure you mark it 'Formal Letter of Complaint.

i had a email which i had to reply to saying "do you accept the job offer". apparantly this counts as a contract but i didnt sign anything in wiriting except to say i agree to them carrying out checks, references etc.....

i had a email which i had to reply to saying "do you accept the job offer". apparantly this counts as a contract but i didnt sign anything in writing except to say i agree to them carrying out checks, references etc..... some people might say i shouldnt of gave notice, but when i was told on the 17th december my start date should follow next week I took it for their word. Due to all the things i needed to do to move 200 miles I needed to get things started.

A contract doesnt have to be in writing or signed, (I recently started a temp IT contract job starting the next day, I didnt sign anything, so I assume my contract was when I said 'yes' over the phone, a rate was agreed, but nothing else so It's unclear whether the T & C's of the agency would of applied as I never saw them).

There are prob 3 ways of fighting this:

1. Could you get any compensation pre-contract, FGW claim there was no contract.

2. Could you get some compensation after contract ?, FGW claim 'no' due to there no notice under 1 month rule, but did you see (and agree) an contract that had that term, or did you reply to the original 'job offer' email that had no T & C's (similar to my scenario above), if so would the T & C's be valid if you hadn't seen them ?

3. As suggested perhaps a letter to the CEO or perhaps some local press may be interested, it may put pressure on them.

4. You could of course take a gamble and start a small claim in the county court, even if you lost you would only be liable for some limited costs and you would of course lose any applications fees, it depends how much you think you are 'out of pocket', of course FGW may well settle as its not worth the hassle or possible publicity of defending.

As mentioned by othres there doesnt apear to be a clear cut easy route to get any compensation but it may be worth investigating.

Andy