Defaulting on a Barclays loan. Advice please!

le_bonn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has helped me on here before but I'm back again with yet more difficulties with Barclays. Its not my Barclay card this time but a CDL loan that I am having real trouble with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway my predicament. I have a CDL loan with Barclays with a with a pretty hefty balance. I have been paid the correct monthly amount until this September when I was rendered unemployed an was no longer able to keep up with the payments. I agreed a reduced payment plan for 3 months, this came to an end last month and as my fiscal situation has not improved I requested an extension on my reduced payment plan. This has been rejected and a letter demanding full payment of arrears dropped onto my mat. I wrote to Barclays again re-stating my difficulties (I addressed this to one of their "senior collection advisors") this was spat back at me and now I have received a notification of Default which (and you have got to love Barclays for this) comes into play on the 25th of December.

I would be really grateful if anyone could let me know what my options are. I am in no position to repay my arrears or increase my monthly payments. what can I do. I have asked for understanding from Barclays which I accept is always optimistic but what would happen if the account was defaulted on? I have other accounts with Barclays all In the red except a joint account. Can they offset money from a joint account?

I am sorry for the barrage of questions and information but I am a bit worried at the moment. any advise or information would be hugely appreciated.

all the best.

Le_bonn

Hi LeBonn,

Barclays are very difficult to deal with and have a reputation for not helping customers in times of need.

You may do better if the approach to Barclays is may by a 3rd party on your behalf.

Have a look here and speak to the National Debtline - http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/Debt:_Where_to_Get_Help

Check the a/c to see if the bank has added any penalty charges since you couldn't pay. If they have, you should reclaim them as they are unlawful penalties.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks I will give that a try.

I'm not sure what they think they will get out of defaulting my loan. I dont have a house or a car or any substantial assets that would make an impact on the balance. I have continued to pay what I can and I will approach the Debt helpline to see if they can get any sense out of Barclays.

Thanks for your advice.

yours

Le_bonn