Bought a used car off private seller - broke down within 2 hours of buying - what rights do i have?

CRAZY COLLIES
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Major problem - Help Please... I bought a used car from a Private Seller and within hours and actually travelling home the car broke down at the side of the road.

Called Breakdown Mechanic who came out and straightaway said the Head Gasket was broken!!!

What rights do I have on getting money back or anything?

Seller, Who said he is a Mechanic advised nothing wrong with the car but willing to fix it if I take it back to him?? How do I take a NON Starting car on a 70 mile trip?

Should he be made to come to my home address and sort the problem?

WHAT DO I DO???

In essence, there is little legal protection for cars bought privately - the only angle you may have is if the car was wildly misdescibed. If the seller is willing to do a repair, and i would worry about using him given yiou have just bought a duff car off him, then he is doing it off his own back and is certainly not under any obligation to travel to you. What I would do is work out how much it will cost to get the car to the seller and compare that against repair at a local garage and see what the difference is.

• 1 month later...