• Tweets

• Same as Barclays one I have just updated on. PRA group have written back and told me they intend to proceed with claim, have also sent another stack of documents, similar to last time round. I did fill in an online income breakdown etc on their website  offering to pay them x amount of money back each month,  a couple of weeks back, they haven't acknowledged that ?  
    • Hello, I wasn't able to update the defence, so they got the daft one.  Pra Group have responded dated 25th April saying they intend to proceed with claim. I have also received a stack of documents, similar to last time - print outs of old statements, but this time around they have send me a copy of the Barclay Card Conditions. Unsigned and dated. The address is an old address.  A consumer credit agreement with current address. Pages of it and no signature. I have uploaded onto a PDF what I have. The CCA agreement looks like a generic print out, I5 pages + long, I've included the 1st page that had my details on (redacted) don't know if its necessary to upload all of it.  Barclays 26042024.pdf
    • I suggested consideration of bankruptcy some years ago. It was not well received.
    • That is a superb WS. However, I have a few tweaks to suggest. In (2) "indicating" not "indication". I think to be consistent with your numbering, in (6) the Beavis case should be EXHIBIT 2. Do you really need to include over 100 pages of Beavis?  I think that would be likely to annoy the judge.  Just try and find the bit where they decide it was not a penalty due to having an interest in limiting the time that vehicles can stay. I'll have a look myself for this bit later as it's highly likely to be in WSs from PPCs who think that that paragraph means all their charges are valid always on every occasion. After your current (7) add this.  It's always useful to refer to a judgment when making a legal point - 8.  In the case PCM vs Bull, Claim No. B4GF26K6, where the Defendant was issued parking tickets for parking on private roads with signage stating “No parking at any time”, District Judge Glen in his final statement mentioned that: “the notice was prohibitive and didn’t communicate any offer of parking and that landowners may have claim in trespass, but that was not under consideration”.   In (14) if my maths are right the CPR request should be "EXHIBIT 3".  it is missing from your list of exhibits. In (16) the two figures should be £100 and £170.  They are entitled to increase fro,m £60 to £100, they are not entitled to increase to £170.  To make it clear for the judge I would write - 16. The Claimant has artificially inflated their claim for a £100 invoice to £170. This is simply a poor attempt to circumvent the legal costs cap at small claims. 17. The Claimant has also invented a second fictitious charge, for legal representative's costs, when they have no legal representative. You also need ot number your exhibits. The rest is excellent - well done.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Interest rate swaps- cap/collar

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Aggi / all,

I am both a commercial business which I know is against the rules, and at the same time I am an individual trying to help in this overall situation. I don't / won't sell my business on here - but this sort of forum is important for everyone to understand and communicate what they are seeing and how they are going about this matter. I trust this will be taken as it should be. In fact much of what I do is look at whether people have a case (from a regulatory / FSA angle) and actively do reject cases that are not "mis-selling."

Aggi - were you put under any confidentiality clauses in the settlement through the FOS? There was a case last July that hit the Internet but was retracted after a confidentiality clause - part of the acceptance of more than the £150k that the FOS can legally bind.

Cheers

James

Hi All

Not sure if anyone can help me I have a swap have been arguing for some time now im just before issuing in the courts I think as I am outside FOS compensation limits

I do not bank with Barclays just borrow and I am in a tight fix I may miss this next quarters payments for the swap I will make sure my loan is paid direct to the account as what they do is take the swap then normally threaten to take the loan out of terms

Has anyone missed a rate swap payment and can they tell me what the consequences were or might be

I see James Ducker is in this forum would be very pleased to know your thoughts as well

Certain you have all seen it but Telegraph are doing a great job and nice to see that the Treasury may look into it sad that Vince cable didn’t do his job properly

Hope someone can advise

Many thanks fellow victims

James

You should really try to find some way to talk to this individual as she seems to have interesting info that’s not been gagged

I have one of the top three companies in google search working on my case and it is slow

I think I will not be able to make this quarters payment any ideas what Bar Cap will do?? Its in my personal name

Be good if you can help

Hi AnonBarcap,

I'll be at my desk for a while yet finishing some work if you would like to call. Happy to talk over with you.

I've had a really useful chat with Aggi as well - thank you Aggi!

I'll be arranging a gathering for everyone in this situation shortly so we can share thoughts and experiences. I don't want there to be a hard-sell or fear of turning up so any and all ideas / comments / thoughts welcome.

In terms of missing a payment, I'm not a solicitor, but in my opinion the bank should have the loan and hedge tied up either through an ISDA, a TMA (Treasury Master Agreement) or a long form confirmation. At worst they have "implied ISDA" (ie. never got one signed but assume it to be agreed. What these documents in effect do, is tie together the loan and the hedge for breaches and for security - so if you miss a hedge payment they can call a breach on the deal, and "call-in" the security (usually property). This would of course more than likely put the loan in breach etc. etc.

I have outlined the hard and fast rules, and in reality the bank may well act differently, but if you can avoid breaches at the moment I would suggest doing so. Each situation is different and each breach different, indeed the security may not be there or may be worth less than the loan - a perverse extra problem for the bank to consider. Due to each case being unique it's difficult to talk generally, but I hope that helps in some way. As these are legal documents I'd also ask for a review from a solicitor with regards to the ISDA etc.

Can I ask which firm you are using from the "Google search" - I wrote recently in a blog that there are sharks already in these waters and some are using Google Adwords quite extensively. I wouldn't publish which firms I believe these to be openly, but happy to talk honestly and openly about any and all firms that I know.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we believe that we too were mis-sold our cap & collar and were not told at the time that it was a 'condition' of the mortgage that we took it out. we have sought council on this matter which cost us quite a lot but we were told back in 2009 that the contract was valid. we have had a couple of law firms ask us if they could act on our behalf to take legal action agianst the HSBC banks but we are just a small company employing 3 staff and cant afford the court fees. It has made my husband very ill with all the worry and we have paid out in fees about £40.000 so far. We thought we were being protected by the banks but we feel we have been 'sold down the river' If anyone out there has any news that could help us fight this case in the courts I'd love to hear from you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aggi,

Did you have a cap and collar or a dirivitive rate swap ?

A solicitor who contacted me said that most of the recent cases in the telegraph related to the Dirivatives rather than the cap & collar that we took out.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi All,

I was told to take a rate swap in 2007. I was told by RBS that it was in my best interest!!. They told me that interest rates never come down and will be going up. I never asked for a loan swap. I wanted a normal repayment loan but that was not possible without me signing the swap papers. They faxed over to me the paperwork I had to sign so they could release the monies.

Each month I am paying over £4000 back to the swap. I called the number on the swap papers last week and asked them for statements to see what I have paid upto date, but the guy on the phone was rude and said you are ringing the wrong department and this is risk management (Nigerian accent). When I said your number is on the statements and take my reference number he said ring me when interest rates go up!!!!. Then we can talk business.

Half the numbers on the paperwork I received from RBS do not work anymore.

Another thing you have to remember is that when you have a business and someone offers you money you would do basically anything for them until you repay them back. These are the laws of nature and every hard business person knows this. We are all afraid that to go to our banks and complain, this could jeopardise our relationship with them. Everyone is afraid that they could ask for the loan back. The banks KNOW this and have everyone over a barrel. I was even advised by the bank to use a different solicitors to the one I have been using for the past 10 - 15 years to do the deal. They recommended one in their own area a firm that I never knew existed. This was another condition of the loan.

What happens now is in the hands of the FSA. Who pays the FSA?.......

• 2 weeks later...

There is a meeting of MPs in Committee Room 14 on Tuesday 24th April.

Please contact your MP as soon as possible so that he/she attends what will amount to a seminar educating them in the area of Swaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you all signed up with Bully Banks ? If not email them. I cannot give the address as I do not have enough posts to my name. They instigated a meeting of over 35 MPs in Parliament on 24th April. Sign up with them and they will keep you informed and advise on action to take. It might help

Anyone who has a potential legal claim against the bank has only 6 years in which to lodge the claim so they should seek out a decent law firm which offers true no-win no-fee service, all too often they charge hefty fees.

There are major problems for those who have been bankrupted as a direct result of unsuitable advice.

This one used to work at the FSA in enforcement and then at SRB Legal but has moved on to a much more substantial firm which happens to be one I have used for many years and can vouch for their track record.

Give her a call.

For the record I do not benefit from referrals as the practice of payment for such referrals was banned last year.

Clare Harries

Clarke Willmott LLP

1 Georges Square

Bath Street Bristol BS1 6BA

tel: 0845 209 1346

fax: 0845 209 2519

international tel: +44 117 305 6346

international fax: +44 117 917 5594

• 4 weeks later...

I have just sent this to a lawyer on the Bully Banks site,

I had an IRSA product covering £2.43m of debt, which indeed has now been wound-up as a result of a complaint to the Ombudsman. The product was with RBS, cap at 6.2% collar at 3.75%, this was ‘linked’ to a loan at 1.225% over base. The terms of this variant were such that when rates fell to below 3.75% the full 6.2% was charged. My point here is that RBS/Nat West did not then lower the payment due on the loan itself, so we were still being charged at the agreed amount in the original mortgage deed-when interest rates were higher. In theory this should have reduced the term of the loan, however as they never sent statements it is difficult to tell. So your clients are probably facing a double charge, certainly I did ask RBS to reduce the pay rate on the loan and they refused, I asked them for a refund of the extra capital we had repaid, they refused. You can easily check what they should be paying, (a least a good ball park figure) on a capital repayment loan at the Council of mortgage lenders web site

If indeed they are doing this, and I suspect RBS is, then the whole reason for selling the product in the first place is a sham.

Apologies if you are already on top of this, but it’s not something I have seen in the press about these products and I know RBS were adamant that the loan pay rate would not be reduced!.

Edited by Aggi
Didnt mean to include my name

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 8 months later...

Hi Ive just registered as I was looking for a forum such as this, My brother who owns a care home in Surrey has a swaps product and Barclays has put his business into Administration, taken £160000 from his account, I have been trying to get more info and any group of businesses looking to take out a class action against the banks. As has been said a group action would have more clout and cost less.

We are aware of the current action against Barclays by Gardian Homes

Any help or guidance would be of great help

Hi Kibsey,

You have to join Bully Banks, over 1,000 of us are now involved. Just google them, they are amazing. They have, with the help of Harry Wilson from the Telegraph, been responsible for the FSA paper published today. The findings were that over 90% of the products were mis-sold.

Hi

We were old a interest rate swap in 2007 and still paying this today.

Everything was arranged by our business manager who had previously arranged other borrowing (no previous swaps). We are a small restaurant and bought our property which we were previously renting.

We have complained to the bank only are now going to review accounts as per FSA announcement but cannot provide timescales.

We are looking to start court proceedings we are sure of our case(mainly due to our history with our banking manager) and want to go it alone. I know we have to send in a LBA and then issue court papers but wouldn't know where to start with the particulars of claim.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mrs_p

The legal system is a minefield even for supposedly competent lawyers. Do you have legal expenses insurance? I always insisted clients added it to their policy.

You have to make a commercial decision, personally I would allow the bank to do what the regulator has told it to but make sure you have a second opinion on the suitability of the product and of course the level of redress if it is forthcoming.

AND, watch what you say on the telephone or in writing. Cunning they be.