• Tweets

• This is a ridiculous situation.  The lender has made so many stupid errors of judgement.  I refuse to bow down and willingly 'pay' for their mistakes.  I really want to put this behind me and move on.  I can't yet. 
    • Peter McCormack says he has secured a 15-year lease on the club's Bedford ground.View the full article
    • ae - i have no funds to appoint lawyers.   My point about most caggers getting lost is simply due to so many layers of legal issues that is bound to confuse.  
    • Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same.   Yes.  But every interested buyer was offering within a range - based on local market sales evidence.  Shelter site says a lender is not allowed to wait for the market to improve. Why serve a dilapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease.   The dilapidations notice was a legal first step.  Freeholders have to give time to leaseholders to remedy.  Lender lawyers advised the property was going to be sold and the new buyer would undertake the work.  Their missive came shortly before contracts were given to buyer.  The buyer lawyer and freehold lawyers were then in contact.  The issue of dilapidations remedy was discussed..  But then lender reneged.  There was a few months where neither I nor freeholders were sure what was going on.  Then suddenly demolition works started.   Before one issues a s146 one has to issue a LBA.  That is eventually what happened. ...legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease   A s146 was served.  It took 3y but the parties came to a settlement.   (They couldn't revert as they had ripped out irreplaceable historical features). The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there.  That's not the case   One can ask for another extension.  In this instance the freeholders eventually agreed with a proviso for the receiver not to serve another. You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension.  Correct.  But receiver lawyer was an idiot.   He made so many errors.  No idea why the receiver instructed him?  He used to work for lender lawyers. I belatedly discovered he was sacked for dishonesty and fined a huge sum by the sra  (though kept his licence).  He eventually joined another firm and the receiver bizarrely chose him to handle the extension.  Again he messed up - which is why the matter still hasn't been properly concluded.   In reality, its quite clear the lender/ receiver were just trying to overwhelm me (as trustee and leaseholder) with work (and costs) due to so many legal  issues.  Also they tried to twist things (as lawyers sometimes do).  They tried to create a situation where the freeholders would get a wasted costs order - the intent was to bankrupt the freeholders so they could grab the fh that way.   That didn't happen.  They are still trying though.  They owe the freeholders legal costs (s60) and are refusing to pay.  They are trying to get the freeholders to refer the matter to the tribunal - simply to incur more costs (the freeholders don't want and cant's afford to incur)  Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to.... The property does not qualify under 67 Act.  Their notice was invalid and voided. B petition was struck out. So this is dealt with then.  That action was dealt with yes.   But they then issued a new claim out of a different random court - which I'm still dealing with alone.  This is where I have issues with my old lawyer. He failed to read important legal docs  (which I kept emailing and asking if he was dealing with) and  also didn't deal with something crucial I pointed out.  This lawyer had the lender in a corner and he did not act. Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been ....  Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at?   I could.  But the evidence is clear cut.  Receiver email to lender and lender lawyer: "our strategy for many months  has been for ceo to get the property".  A lender is not allowed to influence the receivership.   They clearly were.  And the law firm were complicit.  The same firm representing the lender and the ceo in his personal capacity - conflict of interest?   I  also have evidence of the lender trying to pay a buyer to walk.  I was never supposed to know about this.  But I was given copies of messages from the receiver "I need to see you face to face, these things are best not put in writing".  No need to divulge all here.  But in hindsight it's clear the lender/ receiver tried - via 2 meetings - to get rid of this buyer (pay large £s) to clear the path for the ceo.   One thing I need to clarify - if a receiver tells a lender to do - or not to do - something should the lender comply? 
    • Why ask for advice if you think it's too complex for the forum members to understand? You'd be better engaging a lawyer. Make sure he has understood all the implications. Stick with his advice. If it doesn't conform to your preconceived opinion then pause and consider whether maybe he's right.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CCA & SAR no response, CITI Cards

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wrote to Citi with a CCA request and postal order, I posted it on the 28/04/10 and it was signed for on the 29/04/10 but have heard nothing from them.

I also sent them a SAR request on 21/04/10 which was signed for on the 22/04/10 (now stupidly I put a cheque in with it, however they havent cashed the cheque)

By my calculations the time limit for the CCA is up, so I am not sure what to do from here, also should I just sit tight regarding the SAR.

Any adivce would be great.

Many thanks

Mike

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.....Welcome.......CCA request Citi have 12+2 days to respond,you have proof that Citi have received the request,Send them Account in Dispute Letter(copy of template on CAG site file.................SAR Citi have 40 days to respond to this request ...just wait should they not respond after the 40 days again letter template in CAG file.............you have again proof of receipt of letter although the cheque has not been cashed yet....................How old is the Citi account..........FS

Hi.....Welcome.......CCA request Citi have 12+2 days to respond,you have proof that Citi have received the request,Send them Account in Dispute Letter(copy of template on CAG site file.................SAR Citi have 40 days to respond to this request ...just wait should they not respond after the 40 days again letter template in CAG file.............you have again proof of receipt of letter although the cheque has not been cashed yet....................How old is the Citi account..........FS

I took it out in october 2001, but when I took it out it was an associates card.

Is there a sort of prodding letter, I dont really want to dispute the account right now as I am looking at my options, at present my credit file is perfect and I need to look at a few things before I decide to jump in and wreck my credit file! I dont know wether to go down this route, DMP or bankruptcy, there are prons & cons for all options, but with a baby on the way, and struggling to make min payments I need to try and work out what to do.

Is it worth asking for CCA's on the following

IF credit card taken out May 2007

Cahoot Credit card taken out april 2004

Amex credit card Feb 2006

Cheers in advance

Edited by Mike J 1973

As I have mentioned I dont want to put the account into dispute just yet, so would like to send citi a reminder letter, I have used one of the template letters, but amended it, could somebody please cast a breif look over this and tell me if its ok.

Many thanks again

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On 28/04/2010 I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. This was signed for as delivered on the 29/04/2010

you have failed to comply with my request.

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document. In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Could you please inform me in writing if you hold and indeed intend to supply me with the legally requested documents?

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit.

You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully

Agree your letter is fine not to confrontational............you can ask the other credit card companies for CCA,the May 2007 card company will I am sure be able to supply a copy of the signed agreement unless it was an "e" application then they will supply a copy of the same.The 2004 and 2006 worth a go see what happens only cost you £1 each...........Ref DMP you can do your own or use CCCS or somebody similar.Read the site threads on the DMP subject various plus and minus views..............Bankruptcy this drastic not easy route is up to you,again the site has a number of members who can offer advise,cant help on this .............FS

• 2 weeks later...

I have sent a CCA request to Citicards, they have written back to say they are woking on it, however the time limit has passed.

What should my next step be?? I dont really want to put the account into dispute just yet (long story) so should I send them a reminder letter or just sit tight as they are working on it??

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

They have 40 days to provide the SAR, if they fail make a complaint to the ico.

Cheers, I sent the request on the 21/04/10 they signed for it the following day - by mistake I put a cheque in it (I know I shouldnt have done) they only cashed the cheque yesterday - so not sure what is going on.

Is the 40 days, 40 working days? if so I think I should have had a reply by the 2nd of June.

Calendar days from receipt.

So I make it that they are in breech of that as well, they signed on the 22/04/10.

Is this the best address to send the complaint to ??

Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane

Wilmslow

Cheshire SK9 5AF

So I put in copies of the letter, the proof of delivery etc? Is there a template letter I should use??

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am wondering if anybody could help, I am trying to work through my debts and sort out my problems, however I have a situation with Citi Cards that I am unsure what to do about at present.

I am managing (just) to make minimum payments on my debts, and have sent requests for my CCA and a SAR from Citi, they have passed the time limits for both of these, so have complained to the information commisoners office regarding the sar.

However for a number of reasons it important that I dont default / bankrupt etc so I am wondering if I could write to Citi and point out they clearly dont have the documention, so its unenforceable, then also point out I am on the point of going bankrupt (which I am trying to avoid) and then trying to negoitate a F&F figure.

Or would I be wasting my time as the account is upto date etc.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You can offer a full and final offer at any time.

But make sure it is stated that no adversed date will be entered on your credit file and that the remaining balance will not be sold on.

This condition must be in writing and you must get a response confirming it before making any payment.

Do not enter in to any settlement agreement over the phone

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am hoping somebody can offer me a little guidance, I wrote to Citi with a CCA request and postal order, I posted it on the 28/04/10 and it was signed for on the 29/04/10, I got a letter from them saying they are working on, I have also sent them a nudge but I have had no response to that.

I also sent them a Subject access requestlink3.gif request on 21/04/10 which was signed for on the 22/04/10 but again I have not had a response.

I have reported them to the information commisoner and have had a letter from them saying they recieved my letter and will pass it onto somebody to investigate.

At present I am still making (just) minimum payments to the account, is there anyway I can hurry them up as I want to see what info they hold, I would also like to make a PPI claim but as I cant get the info from the sar I am stuck.

If anybody has any ideas how I could hurry them up it would be great. (I havent disputed the account yet, I am waiting on CCA coming back from my other 2 credit cards before I decide what to do.

Cheers

Mike

Hi, I am hoping somebody can offer me a little guidance, I wrote to Citi with a CCA request and postal order, I posted it on the 28/04/10 and it was signed for on the 29/04/10, I got a letter from them saying they are working on, I have also sent them a nudge but I have had no response to that.

I also sent them a Subject access requestlink3.giflink3.gif request on 21/04/10 which was signed for on the 22/04/10 but again I have not had a response.

I have reported them to the information commisoner and have had a letter from them saying they recieved my letter and will pass it onto somebody to investigate.

At present I am still making (just) minimum payments to the account, is there anyway I can hurry them up as I want to see what info they hold, I would also like to make a PPIlink3.gif claim but as I cant get the info from the Subject access requestlink3.gif I am stuck.

If anybody has any ideas how I could hurry them up it would be great. (I havent disputed the account yet, I am waiting on CCA coming back from my other 2 credit cards before I decide what to do.

Cheers

Mike

I have posted this in the general debt forum as well, sorry if I shouldnt have done!

Citi, I'm afraid are a law unto themselves. They cause the Information Commissioner no end of problems.

I wouldn't wait for the other cards to come back and put this account into dispute. That sometimes gees then up.

Quick question. How long ago did you take out the card?

With your SAR. You will most likely only get back a load of statements and very little else. When they did this to me, I complained and they still refused to send me anything.

It took the ICO months just for me to get two sets of terms and conditions from Citi.

I do know that Citi did a purge of their systems in 2006 and a lot of old paperwork was destroyed

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Technically speaking you can now withold payment because they are in default of your request, in doing so it may well be nudge required for them to get their finger out. Also a complaint to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct wouldn't be remiss. Consumer Direct - Contact us

Technically speaking you can now withold payment because they are in default of your request, in doing so it may well be nudge required for them to get their finger out. Also a complaint to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct wouldn't be remiss. Consumer Direct - Contact us

Thanks, I will indeed make a complaint, I have got one of my CCA's back today (from cahoot) I am going to post it up and see if its enforecable.

Just a thought, is it worth making a formal compliant to Citi, is that likely to spur them on???

Im currently considering bankruptcy as the way forward and wondered if it was worth mentioning this to citi (and my other creditors) to see if I could get some F & F settlements? Just via family I could raise a little money.

Edited by Mike J 1973

Citi, I'm afraid are a law unto themselves. They cause the Information Commissioner no end of problems.

I wouldn't wait for the other cards to come back and put this account into dispute. That sometimes gees then up.

Quick question. How long ago did you take out the card?

With your SAR. You will most likely only get back a load of statements and very little else. When they did this to me, I complained and they still refused to send me anything.

It took the ICO months just for me to get two sets of terms and conditions from Citi.

I do know that Citi did a purge of their systems in 2006 and a lot of old paperwork was destroyed

I really dont know the date I took the card out, but it is a long time ago, it started life as an assoicates card, then some how I ended up with 2 associates cards (this was 2004 - I know because i remember where I was living at the time), When citi took over they increased the credit limit on one card and merged the other card onto it, so I ended up with one Citi Card rather than the 2 associate cards.

Even a load of statements would be useful as I am sure I was mis sold PPI, mainly because I was self employed at the time, so I dont think it would have paid out.

I have a faint hope that the PPI I have paid plus interest may work as a F&F settlement if it turns out to be unenforceable.

I am struggling with debt for many reasons, mainly my own stupidity, but Citi really havent helped with the interest rate rises, and recently I got a letter saying the card was going to be taken over by CAMM, then another letter saying the interest rate was going up so I rejected this rate rise and closed the card, so I am paying min payments but the interest rate is 25.9% I think.

I dont want to put the card into dispute just yet for many reasons (one being my wife's credit file, we are looking at ways of dissassociating her from me as all my debt was run up before we were together)

Also it will impact on my employment, and I am trying to get to a point where I can make a decison regarding everything, which at this point looks like bankruptcy, but would also put me out of work:evil:.

If I could reclaim the PPI and pay off the card, that would be a huge help and I maybe able to struggle forward where I am paying my debts rather than having to go bankrupt and losing my job.

I contacted consumer direct and have had this back

Based on the information you have provided the key legal points in response to your enquiry are as follows:

Under Section 77/78/79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, if the finance company cannot provide a copy of the agreement within 12 working days of receiving a valid request then the agreement may not be enforceable. Should they find the copy later then the agreement may then become enforceable again.

Although the agreement may not be enforceable, any failure to repay the monies borrowed may well lead to the finance company reporting arrears or defaulting to credit reference agencies or passing the debt to a debt collectors. However, if the agreement was unenforceable then they may not be able to use the courts to get a judgement against you for the outstanding balance.

If the finance company fail to provide you with a statement of your account then you can take your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service for them to assist further if you are receiving poor service or are suffering because of a finance companies behaviour. Their website is www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

Regarding your subject access request, the best people to speak with this on that would be the Information Commissioners Office who advise on your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 and any requests made under it. Their website is www.ico.gov.uk.

If you require any further advice or information about this case, please do not hesitate to contact Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06 quoting the case reference number.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Now am I missing the point or are they not going to help me get the information to which I am entitled and have paid a fee for???:confused:

Hi,

I had the same problem with Citi. Firstly sending me a letter asking for proof of ID then ignoring reminders I sent to them.

I sent a formal complaint to their head office at Canary Wharf which did get back a response. All they sent me were copies of statements and copies of recent letters I had sent them-nothing else.

A complaint to the FOS resulted in copies of terms from inception of the account and the updated ones.

I am still waiting for a copy of my agreement 21 months after requesting it from a DCA.

Citi are an american company and think UK laws don't apply.

One other thing with Citi, they did a purge of their systems back in 06 and lots of paperwork has vanished.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE