• Tweets

• don't get too hung up on the real meaning of 'fake' in terms of the documents a claimant might produce relating to a potential court claim. by fake we typically mean, they are not obviously the 'real McCoy' ,100% associated with whatever credit they are trying to pin on punters. they are often of the right 'version' that an OC would have used for that particular take out date, but with details inserted in a diff font where they should be for say your name address DOB etc. All DCA's typically  have filing cabinets covering each year for most creditor, whip 'em out, scan and copy n paste your details onto them, even easier now with online sign ups. no hard copies ever sent cause 90% of mugs have lost them..... one of our most powerful tools is the fact any docs they produce, unless they state they are 'a reconstruction'  MUST come from the original creditor noty some hidden pile the claimants have. Link are absolute masters at this so dont stick to lowell threads. dx    
    • Driving home last night I contacted wing mirrors with a car coming the opposite way. The wing mirror folded in and the glass popped out. Very minor damage.  I stopped at the next layby (A road) to repair the mirror. A passerby stopped and said they saw the other car stopped behind me in another layby - they went back and passed over details so we could get in touch.  The conversation started cordially, but quickly got heated when I said I was well on my side and they drifted over (which is what happened).  I wasn't going to bother filing a claim as there isn't enough damage to justify it. So I've said to the other party lets just call it quits as there are no witnesses and we both think we are innocent.   they said they are contacting the police and insurance and that they have witnesses. But a quick facebook search found a post by the other person saying they were in a crash, and were 'spun' off the road. Picture of a broken wing mirror and a slight scuff on the front and rear wheel arch. they are asking for witnesses. I have screenshots of the post, and sent them another message saying I can see you dont have witnesses as you are appealing for them. I'd really not drag this out. Lets call it quits and move on. this was followed by a couple of messages that didn't really make much sense. e.g. 'do the right thing'. What should I do now?  Contact police?  Contact my insurance? - Can I tell them about this incident but say I dont want to claim? Will that affect my premium?  
    • So this is the crux of the argument. The scrappage contribution should have also been counted as a deposit. It was literally a part exchange in return for a cash deduction so there is no reason it wouldn't be treated the same way.  I did not request a VT, I was struggling to pay after a separation from my partner at the time. However had the figures been reflected correctly, the VT cost would have been 2k not 9k and I may have considered it as an option. Instead, the car was marked stolen and removed from my possession by the police
    • LOL - old one the fiver theory - although with the poops its take a fiver now, promise 10p  sometime in the future while claiming the reverse theory   So when is jenrick, an apparent slam dunk as referenced higher in the thread, being referred to the police? These poops need to know that anything they throw will be returned .. with interest  
    • Yup, it isn't a criminal case, it's hard to prove, but take a detailed look at my thread to see how many holes there are in what they have sent me, there is a picture building.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

County Court Claim form received - Cabot ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't remember the precise wording of the CPR31.14 but it might be worth asking Cabot's solicitors (copy to Cabot) for confirmation that they do in fact have an enforceable Agreement in their possession (as part of the request) and if not, for them to state such (CPUTR)..... since a request for this documentation has been outstanding since xx/xx/xx.

Hope you still have the rec. delivery proof of this request Bo..... :cool:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Assignment is not Absolute as they are going back to the OC for a SOA and T&Cs. They've said that in the letter from Morgans posted earlier.

This is a loan agreement not a credit agreement.

Hiya Bo... :-)

That doesn't mean it isn't Absolute. Cabot have been trying to liaise with one of my creditors for a long time, yet I know mine is Absolute. These accounts are normally bought in bulk; minus any paperwork, that's all.

• Haha 1

They do not IMHO buy the agreement or the duties - who has received credit from Cabot??

If the assignment is absolute and the account is still live then where is the new agreement with Cabot as the creditor....

There is an article written by Cabot where they state that they do not consider themselves as the creditor as the assignments are not absolute

BUT aside from that, if you have never had a copy of teh T&Cs then (I presume at some stage you have made an S78 request) they are in default and that in itself is another bar to enforcement for them.

Is the agreement anywhere? has that been pulled to shreds yet?

The account would not be live; it would be terminated by the OC prior to sale.

Regardless of what Cabot may/may not have written in atricles, they do purchase debts by Absolute Assignment which gives them the basis of court action.... so it's important for Bo to know that. They may not be the "creditor" in terms of lending money but they become the "creditor" in terms of being able to recover it.

Cabot do not become the creditor - they only buy the receivables (or rights) they do not buy the account or the duties, those remain with the OC

Where do you get this information from please? It sounds like wordplay to me... over an issue that was raised a few years ago and squashed by The Cabot Fan Club.

Got it in one R

The original balance I owed is now doubled with all their interest added on :-(

I suppose I could reclaim charges from the OC to offset this?

Where does it state anywhere that they have the legal right to add interest and/or charges?. If they haven't bought the Agreement (as suggested in the above quote) then they can't have bought the right to add interest in line with the t&cs of that Agreement. Which way are they going to play this one then?

Just need time to consider tactics BO as it seems NOA is only option at moment. Must admit, its not looking good.:sad:

R

NOA is not enough Bo.... Your defence has to be either an unenforceable CCA, lack of/inaccurate DN and/or unlawful charges added to the account prior to it's sale which should invalidate the assignment.

I would also go after written clarification as to the type of assignment this is, what their precise legal obligations are in connection to that assignment and also.... a complete breakdown of all post-assignment interest/charges, including the legal basis for adding and justifying them to the alleged balance.

If this is not made clear to you prior to court proceedings, then these questions need to be asked in court....

:-)

Cymru, if you look at Mr Blue's post #30, I did get an Agreement which is filled in even though they state they don't have to provide it (it didn't mention Agreement in the POC). There was a blank agreement in with all the photocopied stuff behind though.

Bo, are you saying that they supplied a blank reconstruction? Are you also saying that Cabot claim that they don't have to supply an Agreement (because your CCA request went to the OC, for example)?

A blank Agreement is meaningless here. Under CCA 1974, they need to have a true copy and have (so far) failed to supply you with that. Cabot tried to swing a similar argument my way some time ago by saying that since the CCA request had gone to the OC and the OC had complied (not with an Agreement they didn't), that there was no further obligation outstanding on their part. I thought this was pants and CCA'd them as well, just to muck up their argument and have heard nothing for nearly 2 years now..... which backs up the fact that they do have to be in possession of a valid Agreement before chasing people for payment; whatever type of assignment they claim it is. We know they do under CCA 1974 anyway....

In addition, the amount they're claiming would be incorrect due to unlawful charges interest being added both prior to and following assignment. Without sight of the original Agreement, incl. t&cs, it's therefore impossible for you to determine whether the amount they're claiming is correct and/or if they're legally entitled to add these. If interest/charges have been added, then this should invalidate the assignment because the figure would be incorrect.

Where is the DN? Without a DN, it's impossible to compare the figure they're claiming against the figure on the DN and determine whether it was served correctly.

Apologies if these points have already been covered.... and apologies for not bringing them up sooner if not. If you need to amend your Defence to highlight any of these points in addition to their non-compliance with CPR, post a "help" post in my "Dissecting the Manchester Test Case" thread and a link to this thread....

Bo.... I've just looked at the CCA and you do need the t&cs for reasons outlined earlier, yes. The rest of it looks enforceable... so you won't have the benefit of Sec 127(3) :-(

Although it's a good idea for you to work out what the missed payments are (minus all the fancy charges and interest that's been added)... Cabot and the OC should have made sure this was accurate in the first place and your Defence should therefore be with regard to the amount they're after. It's not up to you to work it out and provide them with the correct figure, IMO.... just to point out why it's not accurate and that there's no legal basis for the monies that have been added.

Unless I'm mis-interpreting this, I'm not sure why it's been said earlier that you don't need sight of the DN... the OC must have defaulted you on this and as such, you need to see if this has been done accurately, IMO.

CAG seems very quiet since the site upgrade but maybe these points should be in your Defence intstead Bo.... since you do need to submit one. I'm not sure that what writing to Morgans will achieve for you at this stage.... what do you think?

Can I ask why? i.e. where in Law are they prevented from claiming, having not served a valid Default Notice, for the non-payment of sums already due i.e. arrears

The DN should show the correct amount outstanding prior to/upon termination of the account and prior to/upon Absolute Assignment of that account by the original creditor. They can't just make it up.... it needs to be substantiated with something. Also, if the DN includes an amount of unlawful charges, then the account can be challenged as being inaccurate upon assignment, which could be enough to strike the claim out. I've never had to try it, so can't say for certain. I have however, pulled up Cabot up myself over this precise issue and also, the "rights but not duties" argument and they backed right off.

There is nowhere in law that prevents someone from issuing a claim, should they decide to do so.... but the consumer has every right to see a copy of the DN (allegedly) issued upon termination of the account. There is no way that a creditor would just let an account roll and roll without issuing a DN, so there must be one somewhere and the onus of proof is now on Cabot to produce it (if requested to do so). The DN also needs to be checked to see if it was issued correctly at the time; ie, if the correct number of days were stated on there (or not) to remedy the breach.

Just concerned that all the discussions on Default Notices, etc, will lead the OP to think that there's a need for one and ultimately be ripped to pieces in Court on the day. I've seen it happen :(

I'm not convinced there isn't a need for one to be honest, but will agree to disagree if you like. Cabot need to substantiate how they've arrived at the figure they're claiming after so long (IMO)...

You may find this useful... courtesy of pt2537 (Paul)...

if i were formulating arguments here, i would be relying on s173 CCA which expressly prohibits and declares a term void if it is contracting out of the Consumer protections of the Act.

my submission would be that such a term that allows a assignment to strip away the protections of the act would simply be contracting out

one ponders and asks the question, if they arent the creditor then what happens if the agreement hasnt been terminated (Cabots favourite argument) and therefore you make a request to the original creditor and then they dont comply, but cabot is suing you in the mean time

what would happen then??

seems to me cabot would be able to enforce while the agreement is unenforceable?

if they are to be believed as right!!!

IMO, this suggests a reason for Cabot's reluctance to confirm the type of assignment it is...

I agree with car's earlier post that a DN is not required. It is because the account falls under CCA, 1974. My understanding is that a creditor is allowed to recover arrears on an agreement that has not been formally defaulted and terminated. As I understand in BO's case the agreement has run its course (48 months from 1999). If the creditor is claiming that they never defaulted or terminated the agreement, then all they are collecting is the arrears. Cabot are claiming that it's not been terminated (I think) but it has.... so it's a chance to catch them out.

I would agree that putting them to strict proof of amount owing is crucial, but BO may find she is in difficulty with the DN. Of course different story if it can be shown that a DN was issued and was non compliant, or maybe there is a default registered on CRA. If they claim they have not defaulted but CRA shows a default, would there not be a counterclaim for general damages to credit? IMO, it's up to Cabot to locate and produce the DN, since if the account was terminated (which it will have been after so long), then a DN would have been issued. Showing a Credit File entry would be another way of proving termination, yes.... the default would have been entered by the original creditor but may well have fallen off the record by now as they're only on there for 6 years.

In respect of the assignment, the fact they are bringing the claim without being joined by original creditor, they can only do that if they have an absolute assignment, then s.136 of LPA kicks in.

R

Yes, they would need to own the account by Absolute Assignment.... but they still have a duty to ascertain that the amount being claimed is correct, so they would need to produce the DN to show the precise amount of "arrears" that were due at that time (if asked to do so, which Bo has).... which I can almost guarantee will not be the same amount that Cabot are trying to claim in their POC.... because they normally add charges/interest of their own.

Bo has also never had the terms & conditions of the account either (under CPR) because Cabot haven't sent them.

I'm re-doing my defence now, however if I want to put them to strict proof of the amount owing, how can I do this now? Can I add this to my defence or would I submit say, a part 18 request for further info ?

I would put them to strict proof of substantiating the amount owing against the DN.... which you've already asked for (via CPR) and they haven't supplied. Not sure at this point whether you need a Part 18 request because of what you've already sent, but this is not my area.... so we need confirmation from someone re. this Bo.

Do we *know* this account is terminated?

Selling off the rights is not termination - the banks do it all the time (securitisation) and the consumers are not told, and don't need to be (unless the 'way you repay' is changed)

It is terminated, yes. Cabot wouldn't be bringing action as Claimant if it wasn't a terminated (and sold) account. They've bought it but are bring cagey about this for some reason, probably due to their fixation with the word "arrears", which would need to tie up with the DN... which they don't seem to have.

Securitisation is a much bigger issue and one that's been discussed at length on other threads. Cabot like to talk about having the "rights but not the duties" which is not what CCA law is about. They're talking about contract law... which is not the same... and interpreting it to suit.

Why do you say it is terminated because Cabot have bought it???

Creditors can sell live accounts and Cabot has a licence to run a live account .... I *really* don't get it.

Cabot have issued a claim in their own name.... so must have bought the account by Absolute Assignment.

It's a terminated account because there's a DN which wasn't remedied. Cabot don't seem to have the DN, so how do they know that the amount in "arrears" is correct according to it?

I have never experienced a DCA buying and administering a "live" account.... despite what their fancy licence may suggest. DCAs either collect on behalf of a creditor or the creditor flogs the account.

I've added a few bits in there Bo.... highlighted in orange. See what you think....

Well here's my amended draft defence (I will get there in the end!)

1. I, [insert full name & address], am a litigant in person and the defendant in this action. I make the following statement as a Defence to the claim made by [insert Claimant’s name]

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this Defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the Claimant’s Particulars of Claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. The Defendant notes that the Claimants' claim is not fully particularised and offers no cause for action and is thus eligible for a strike out under CPR 3.4.2 (a).

4. The Claimant has failed to disclose all appropriate documentation to support the Particulars of Claim, requested under CPR 31.12 and CPR 16.4 (2) in that the Claimant has not provided terms and conditions of the alleged debt nor any statements of account prior to assignment of the same and gives no legal justification for interest added post assignment. The Claimant has also failed to provide evidence of a Default Notice to substantiate the sum being claimed which leaves the Defendant at a disadvantage and unable to plead effectively or at all. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Claim as it stands.

5. The Defendant denies that they are indebted to the Claimant for the sum of [insert claim sum] and puts the Claimant to strict proof of this sum, including a full breakdown of the amount being claimed as "arrears" prior to any Default Notice being issued before assignment.

6. As the Claimant has not responded sufficiently, the Defendant denies the Claimants claim for interest pursuant to s.69 of the County Court Act 1984.

AND the Defendant;

7. Seeks an order that the Claimant’s action is struck out under CPR 3.4.2 (a), or otherwise dismissed on the grounds that any claim cannot succeed and that the Claimant do pay the Defendant’s costs incurred in defending this action.

8.Notwithstanding matters pleaded, it is denied that the Claimant has established a cause of action or that the Claimant has a valid claim against the Defendant. Consequently, it is proving difficult to plead to the particulars as matters stand.

The Defendant is embarrassed at the lack of detail within the Claimant's claim and therefore cannot plead due to the Claimant's ongoing failures to provide documentation under CPR 31.12 and 16.4 (2).

The Defendant reserves the right to amend this defence and intends to make an application to the court for an order compelling disclosure.

Statement of truth

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.

I am the Defendant.

Signed:

XXXX

XXXX 2010

There might be more to add to this... I'm wondering whether to include something about s189 of the CCA being about rights as well as duties.... coz this seems to be what they're trying to wriggle round....

A suggested addition....

The Defendant would like to draw the attention of the court to s.189 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in the case of Absolute Assignment, which makes it quite clear that the Claimant purchases the rights as well as the duties of an Agreement upon assignment. The CCA 1974 was designed to protect the consumer and as such, differs from contract law on those grounds.

Needs tweaking.... but something like that....

Edited by PriorityOne
  • Haha 1