Theft? What to do now...

DDWales
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

My mother took her car to a friend to fix the electrics (alarm system). He reccomended the guy in the lock up next door who took on the job and stated that things would only take a few days. My mother has now been without a car for 6 weeks!:mad::eek: The guy has basically been fobbing her off with 'you'll have the car tomorrow' etc by phone and text message over the past few weeks and is now not picking up at all. He also told her that his father had passed away so my mother gave him some leeway in respect for that. Have done some detective work and found out that he owes at least 3 months rent on his lock up (amongst other things) and is nowhere to be seen and that his excuse about his dad is a story he's told a number of times!!:eek: I think you can all see a pattern developing here...not a nice chap! Anyhow, he has the car and we want it back. Were trying to get his address but he is an elusive character to say the least. Have reported to the police. Some officers I have spoken to are giving the 'not interested its a civil matter' excuse!! Surely this is theft!!!!!!

What can we do? Does anyone have any ideas of how to proceed from here?

First of all, is this person running a business from this 'lock-up'? If so, does he have a phone number/trading address?

As for the police angle. i don't quite understand when you say 'some officers are saying it's a civil matter'. How many have you tried to report it to? I'm assuming you have gone in person to a police station and reported it formally?

Need a tad more info.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

What does your friend in the next door lockup say?

Your 'friend' in the next door lockup could ring you as soon as he shows up and you can go around there and get your car back, not on your own though.

I already know that the car isnt there but the police dont want to know.There is something very wrong but they STILL say i cant prove its been stolen n its up to me to find that out.Sorry,but isnt that what the police are supposed to do??Have already arranged for my friend to get in touch as soon as this guy appears.Oh and already checked out a "bogus" address!!Just gets better!

I already know that the car isnt there but the police dont want to know.There is something very wrong but they STILL say i cant prove its been stolen n its up to me to find that out.Sorry,but isnt that what the police are supposed to do??Have already arranged for my friend to get in touch as soon as this guy appears.Oh and already checked out a "bogus" address!!Just gets better!

Ok, go back to the police and report your car as 'taken without consent' explain that you left the car with this person for repair who you now believe to be bogus. Insist on a crime number for insurance purposes. Tell them about the bogus address and the fact that he has had the car for 6 weeks. If they don't go for that, tell them you believe your car is being driven without insurance. After that, I think it is time to advise your insurance company who will need a crime number.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

But what does your friend in the next door lockup say??

Hi Conniff and thanks thus far. :)

He's been very helpful and provided us with the address of the bloke. Drove past his house myself yesterday and this morning and the car was outside...

Ok, go back to the police and report your car as 'taken without consent' explain that you left the car with this person for repair who you now believe to be bogus. Insist on a crime number for insurance purposes. Tell them about the bogus address and the fact that he has had the car for 6 weeks. If they don't go for that, tell them you believe your car is being driven without insurance. After that, I think it is time to advise your insurance company who will need a crime number.

Thanks SS.

Already have incident number and the car insurance firm has been notified of what has happened. The police have been very unhelpful on the matter. Thier onus is on the fact that we have to prove that theft has been committed :-x:-x As noted in the last post, I know where the person lives now and also know that the car is outside his property. The question is what to do next.

Give the police a call and relate this information so that they could go there themselves?- I hazard a guess that they wont be interested though?

Go up there myself and/or with others and 'politely' ask for the car keys?

Thanks SS.

Already have incident number and the car insurance firm has been notified of what has happened. The police have been very unhelpful on the matter. Thier onus is on the fact that we have to prove that theft has been committed :-x:-x As noted in the last post, I know where the person lives now and also know that the car is outside his property. The question is what to do next.

Give the police a call and relate this information so that they could go there themselves?- I hazard a guess that they wont be interested though?

Go up there myself and/or with others and 'politely' ask for the car keys?

I would take advice from the police on this one. As far as I am concerned he has removed the car from his business premesis, had it for over 6 weeks and appears to be using it without your consent..

Or if you can find his phone number, call him and ask him what the hell he is playing at. You have to ask yourself; how many speed cameras/red lights' parking offences gas he clocked up while in possession of your car? Because guess where they will all end up

Please Note

I would take advice from the police on this one. As far as I am concerned he has removed the car from his business premesis, had it for over 6 weeks and appears to be using it without your consent..

Or if you can find his phone number, call him and ask him what the hell he is playing at. You have to ask yourself; how many speed cameras/red lights' parking offences gas he clocked up while in possession of your car? Because guess where they will all end up

Cheers SS.

No point in phoning the guy in question as he wont pick up. Have thought exactly the same regarding parking offences etc so will act promptly. Will ask my mother to phone the police and keep you informed..

Did your mother phone the police??

Hi Conniff.

Yes she did and it was a complete waste of time. The station officer was very rude to her and didnt care about the situation at all. :mad::eek: Before she put the phone down however she did manage to find out from him that it would be ok to retrieve the car witout the police being involved.

With that in mind I went to get the car myself with a friend. Caught up with our friendly mechanic and got it back :). Thats the good part but have found out that hes done something to the electrics as the lights and windscreen wipers dont work. Hes also smashed in the fuel cap that was key locked-presumably so that he could fill the car up himself!!:-o Not happy about his at all.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

What a harsh lesson to learn. I would make a complaint in writing to the District Inspector about the police who were not helpful in recovering the car. I hope you have names and times of phone calls, because these will be logged on the police system.

If you have this chap's name, make a seperate complaint in writing about what happened and ask the DI to investigate.

Report the fellow to local Trading Standards.

Time consuming, but you have to start somewhere. if the complaints are in writing, they have to be investigated and reported back to you.

An auto electrician will soon be able to fix the lights and wind screen wipers, get a report as to the damage and TS a copy of this also.

I am not sure if you will be able to recoup the cost through the vehicle insurance. if the police catch up with him, and it goes to court, you will be able to ask for restitution for these costs. It will be in your Victim Impact statement.

Hi Conniff.

Yes she did and it was a complete waste of time. The station officer was very rude to her and didnt care about the situation at all. :mad::eek: Before she put the phone down however she did manage to find out from him that it would be ok to retrieve the car witout the police being involved.

With that in mind I went to get the car myself with a friend. Caught up with our friendly mechanic and got it back :). Thats the good part but have found out that hes done something to the electrics as the lights and windscreen wipers dont work. Hes also smashed in the fuel cap that was key locked-presumably so that he could fill the car up himself!!:-o Not happy about his at all.

You next action then is to go to the dealer of the make of car and get a 'quote', (an estimate is no good), or the work done with an itemised bill and send him a copy of it and ask for payment within 10 days. You should also state that failure to pay in the required time 'will' lead to further action.

You don't at this stage have to say what that further action will be, you can say that in your next letter. Send any post by recorded (or better) delivery.

As Mrs H has said, I would also make a complaint about the service you received from the police irrespective of this being classed as a civil matter or not.

Edited by Conniff

This is getting ridiculous.

Go back to the police station (in person) and ask them what is the definition of 'Taking A Vehicle Without The Owners Consent'. When they tell you, ask them why this dosn't apply in your case. After 6 weeks without any communication, and finding out the car has been removed from where you left it, and it appears the 'mechanic' has been using it surely constitutes using without your consent? In any case, you now have a crime number so it has been reported as a crime so the police should be treating it as such. I reckon when you phoned, you spoke to a civilian operator who sometimes don't know their ar*e from their elbow. As I said previously, prior to reporting it to the police, you may be liable (or the RK) for any traffic violations the 'mecahnic' has picked up along the way.

On the back of all this, I would of thought any damage to the car after it has been reported to the police, would consitue criminal damage. Also, can you tell how many mile the car has done while in the 'mecanic's' 'care'?

As Conniff suggests, go to a main dealer (after visiting the police station) and ask for a quote to rectify the faults on the car which you believe were caused during the 6 weeks you were without it. Also, contact trading standards and report the matter to them. This character may do it to someone else, because lets face it, its a cheap way to hire a car for 6 weeks!

If the police fail to act on this, make an official complaint and I would be tempted to have a word with the local media. Write to the 'mechanic' as Conniff suggests and send it to both his business address and his homwe address.

Please keep us posted.

Please Note

@ Mrs Hobbit; why do you keep duplicating your posts? It makes the thread confusing!

Please Note

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Sorry about the duplicates, not my fault, something happened with the CAG server Sailor Sam it is certainly confusing. I have removed the duplicated posts.

Sorry about the duplicates, not my fault, something happened with the CAG server Sailor Sam it is certainly confusing. I have removed the duplicated posts.

Thanks! :)

Please Note

I thought you had a stutter Mrs H :)

If you want them cleaned up properly or removed, just click on the red triangle and put your request in there and a mod will do it for you - they are nice like that.

Guest Mrs Hobbit

Have done as suggested Conniff.

I have been thinking about the insurance angle on this and am still worried if this is not reported it could make the insurance null and void, if something happened while the vehicle was out of the insured's possession and the incident involved a third party. It is of course the OP's decision to make

Have done as suggested Conniff.

I have been thinking about the insurance angle on this and am still worried if this is not reported it could make the insurance null and void, if something happened while the vehicle was out of the insured's possession and the incident involved a third party. It is of course the OP's decision to make

I agree, same goes with the traffic offence angle. The insurers will want to know what action the police took though. If they wern't actively treating it as 'stolen' then they are unlikely to deal with it as such.

Please Note