• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Mint Loan - Court Action Started & Dodgy DN issues

Pumpkinhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

prospective maybe the key word re S57?? rather than executed

and it WAS a credit agreement, it was an HP agreement under the CCA and I think you will find they got to keep the copier ....

And no-one has answered my question for the OP

How and when did teh creditor become entitled to sums not yet due?

I will still keep coming back to this as this point is the 'point' of this thread

Hi wellno actually the key word is "made" According to Goode an agreement is made when some action is taken on it following execution

This would be the forwarding of the credit.

The act would hardley say that iether party could wthdraw before it was executed,that is a bit obvious.

Really kept the coppier didnt see that in the transcript.

Any way the point is that as a hire agreement,when the arrears where paid there were no further liabilities under the agreementThe hire would be up to date and no further action could be taken.

In a credit agreement the liabilities unde the agreement remin they are not writen off.The only reason they are in a hire agreement is ecause they are losses not liabilies.

If you default a credit agreement and the default is defective the liabilities are still due.

Peter

P

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You cant kill something twice, once its a dead parrot it's dead, terminated, shuffled its mortal coil etc.

The claimant killed it. If anyone tries to effect further death on it they are bound to fail.

Its not me who is complicating it.

My point is very simple, and I believe supported by the judge in Harrison v Link.

If the DN is bad, the claimant has no rights under the CCA.

What part of that is:

a) incorrect

b) complicated

Vdr

Doesnt need any rights under the CCA, the CCA does not stop the court from enforcing after the voluntary terniat8ion of a debtor .

A default notice is only required if the creditor seeks to terminate on"breach of the debtor".This seems to be the view of the DJ also,

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

A default notice is only required if the creditor seeks to terminate on"breach of the debtor".This seems to be the view of the DJ also,

Peter

And is that not was relied on to bring proceedings in the first place?

And the DN was defective.

And the claimant lost their rights under the CCA.

Therefore anything after that is meaningless.

We need to get back to what I will call (probably wrongly) the cause of action - where did it start going wrong, and wind back to that, and address it.

We need to get back to what I will call (probably wrongly) the cause of action - where did it start going wrong, and wind back to that, and address it.

Thing is i do not believe it was decide wrongly.

The DJ admitted that theDN was defective.Really shee needed to do no more.

However as said if she decides she is not going to abide by the terms of the agreement the any protection she had under that ageement disapear.

I do however think that this was harsh treatment on a lip.

I know when Welshman mentioned this defence the judge tipped him the wink(i believe) that it was suicidal,fortunately he changed his deffence to suit

Peter

Well here we have a clear case of inarticulate drivel.

Where are the moderators?

If you feel that posts are breaching the forum rules, please report them using the exclamation triangle underneath each post. Site team will review it and act accordingly on each reported post.

Sory idont understand what your reasoning is here.Why do you think by issuing a defective DN the creditor lost his rights uner he CCA he just lost the right to enforce on that occasion didnt he.

Anyway as i said earlier it is irrelavant,the CCA does not stop the court from enforcing in this case

Peter

Volvo You're probably right. However PH now seems to have posted up everything relevant - so we now actually have a ball to kick instead of just each other.

Can I therefore suggest that those who claim to have a lot of knowledge in these matters now study all the material carefully and advise PH on what her options now are, based on what has happened in her case? Let's forget about scoring points based on semantics and focus on helping PH!

My own (non-expert) view is that the other side (creditors) deliberately (and unfairly) manoeuvered her into a corner and that, as a lay person, she should be excused for the obvious interchange of the use rescission and repudiation - and should not be put at any unfair disadvantage because of this.

To my simple mind if you are invited to end an agreement - i.e. "call it quits" then that is what exactly what it means - "stop it here and now and nothing more to be asked for or given by either party".

Even if the creditor IS entitled to repayment of the principal in full PLUS interest "already earned" then it is a moot point as to what has already been "earned" as the interest rate charged was based on a 7 year agreement and not the truncated (3 year?) term imposed by the creditors. I raised a point in a post yesterday (which seems to have disappeared?) that it is not fair to charge the same (higher) interest rate on a SHORT TERM loan as charged on a LONG TERM Loan.

Look at the mortgage deals available now - much higher for 5 or 7 year fixed rate deals than for 2-3 year fixed rate deals. I believe it could be argued PH would not have agreed to the higher rate on the shorter term loan - and in that respect the Creditor has been unfairly advantaged whereas the failure to produce a valid DN should have had the opposite effect according to Francis Bennion's intentions.

I agree it would be far better if she were professionally represented in any appeal - and hopefully the recent ruling against Link in Wales may help her case now?

BD

BTW - does anyone know when the Brandon appeal is likely to be heard 9and ruled upon)?

rather than concentrate on what the other side did ( or did not do) i would concentrate on what the judge did (or did not) do- misdirect him/herself would be a good start

so those of mine that were removed can be put back?

do we get to spank the mods bums when they transgress?

LOL

Posts moderated aren't restored by the site team - any 'complaints' about how moderation is completed should be reported to site admin (admin @ consumeractiongroup.co.uk - remove the spaces, inserted by the forum software to remove spam attacks) who will review the situation and take appropriate action. Site admin may restore your posts if they don't agree with the moderation that has taken place. Similarly, they may agree with it and not restore them - that's more likely, as the mods work as a team and don't (generally) remove posts unnecessarily, contrary to popular beliefs. (We actually have better things to do, like discussing who has the key to the tea cupboard in the staff canteen or something)

good, this place is like the dentists and the morgue

if you dont have a laugh now and then youll go round the twist!:lol:

Indeed, or further around it for those numbers between us that are already there.

Posts moderated aren't restored by the site team - any 'complaints' about how moderation is completed should be reported to site admin (admin @ consumeractiongroup.co.uk - remove the spaces, inserted by the forum software to remove spam attacks) who will review the situation and take appropriate action. Site admin may restore your posts if they don't agree with the moderation that has taken place. Similarly, they may agree with it and not restore them - that's more likely, as the mods work as a team and don't (generally) remove posts unnecessarily, contrary to popular beliefs. (We actually have better things to do, like discussing who has the key to the tea cupboard in the staff canteen or something)

Indeed, or further around it for those numbers between us that are already there.

:lol:

Fair enough - but I don't see why the scary dominatrix picture was taken down. Can Site admin put it back up PLEASE??

BD

PS - Only to remind us not to be naughty again - honest!

rather than concentrate on what the other side did ( or did not do) i would concentrate on what the judge did (or did not) do- misdirect him/herself would be a good start

DD

I don't disagree that the judge was daft - but surely it's also quite valid to question how the creditor, by not doing things properly in the first place, managed to get PH to accept the termination (if that's actually what she did) and comes out of this smelling of roses? It actually reminds me of some "battles" on CAG where the "respondent" gets more hammered than the perpitrator (Joke - mods - honest!) :-)

I also think there is a valid argument to challenge the interest deemed as "due" since common practice is to charge lower rates on shorter term loans - if all else fails.

BD

PS - I nearly wasn't going to reply to you as my Mum told me not to talk to boys who use naughty words like "bum" - even (especially?) when coupled with "spanked".

PPS - If that scary dominatrix picture was still up I wouldn't dare have said that!

On the thread you have the POC, initial defence

PH's app for SO

Claimant's app to amend POC last minute before PH's app

Amended POC and amended Defence

Both side's skellys

Both sides WS

summary of trial hearing

---

As I have said before, the arguments put forward by members of the site are actually better than those relied upon by the Claimant IMHO.

Read the Skelly again and see exactly what teh Claimant's said rather than what you think they should have been arguing.

The one bit of info that we need would be at least a transcript of teh Judgement (better for whole trial) as it is only then anyone would be able to assess exactly how the DJ came to their thinking.

PH has already been given leave to appeal (by the sounds of what she was told in Court by the DJ)

I am also interested on what grounds the DJ awarded costs against PH in a SCT trial.

PH's argument at trial was not new and she received positive 'vibes' from the DJ at the application hearing

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

you are more likely to get an appeal if it can be shown that the judge misdirected

the problem with what the creditor did is that those arguments should have been used from the off

If PH didn't accept they were going to apply to stay proceedings and issue a new compliant DN

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

I also think that there may be some useful info in the original Woodchester v Swain hearing. The one where the DJ ordered Swain to pay £13k (i.e. full rights as in PH's case) which was then overturned at appeal down to lawful arrears at termination (which was taken to be date of issue of the DN interestingly).

Originally posted by Diddydicky ..... is stated that either party can terminate the agreement under a separate clause in the agreement (has anyone BTW checked this agreement for that clause- it aint in all of them)
I've looked at the agreement again. It says that I have a right to settle at any time by giving notice in writing and paying off the amount I owe under the agreement which may be reduced by a rebate. It also says that the Creditor if:

• I fail to make an instalment repayment within one month of its due date, or
  • I provide inaccurate information
  • I die/become insolvent etc

then we shall become entitled after the expire of proper notice to demand immediate payment of the loan plus interest and charges on default less (on payment any applicable rebate).

There is nothing on the agreement specifically about my rights to terminate the agreement which I think is odd given that it was an agreement discussed over the phone and had to have been subject to the distance marketing regs. Why didn't I get a cooling off period for example?

There is nothing in the agreement that says the Creditor can terminate at any time without one of the exceptions I've listed above occuring.

I am very grateful for your pledges of funding and for all your interest and support. I have decided to get a copy of the Judgement.

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

i accept your summing up of the position of the parties vis termination

however- it is clear from the claimants letter that she accepted the creditors first action which was termination

the creditor therefore was NOT entitled to payment of sums not yet due as it was the creditor NOT the debtor that terminated

you can argue till the cows come home that the creditor did not ACTUALLY terminate- because of a techicality- (the invalid DN)- and you would be right BUT.... i say again- if the creditor- with all their legal knowledge was unaware that thei termination was not valid, how in gods name was the debtor supposed to know?

the debtor was clearly misled by the creditors termination and clearly made a transactional decision ( to accept the creditors termination and all that goes with it) which she may well otherwise not have made had she not been misled by the creditor

There are strong grounds for appeal here

how far adrift of OFT guidelines does the creditor have to go!

Dont really uderstand why you think the creditor was not entitled to his money no matter who terminated

Peter

GH

I know you will be up to speed on this anyway (and it may well have been put more eloquently earlier on this thread) - but please just humour me.....I believe my point is relevant to PH if a bit rambling.....

In Woodchester, if the copier was not retained by the Law firm, then arrears would be all that was due - as no further benefit could be gained by the hirer - so why should they pay more in any case? However if it was kept by the Hirer (which I believe it was?) then the fact that Lawful arrears is all that is due is VERY significant - in that the dodgy DN denied the Claimant the right to any further benefits under the contract. Does anyone know what para of what statute it is that states this - and is it definitely applicable to contracts regulated by CCA?

I recollect this "lawful arrears only due" was a key thrust in the Pinky69 thread - but had cold water poured on it by some claiming that contracts "could not be unlawfully terminated " by either party - or even both! Also from memory I think this is also what was decided in the Brandon case - which is why the appeal is so important to many.

Relevance to PH? If a contact CAN be terminated on the back of a dodgy DN (which was not corrected first) then surely the same "arrears only" logic applies as in Woodchester? Are there any more recent cases dealing with CCA agreements with the same outcome?

Surely the key thing is not whether PH accepted their termination or not? Surely it is whether the termination COULD be made in the first place?

If it could and it was on the back of a dodgy DN then surely only arrears are now due?

If it couldn't be terminated by the creditor unilaterally (due to dodgy DN) then PH couldn't accept subsequently something that wasn't there in the first place?

BD

Dont really uderstand why you think the creditor was not entitled to his money no matter who terminated

Peter

Because that would mean the creditor would win BOTH ways - either by staying within the rules - or by going outside the rules (without any penalty whatsoever).

Two opposites surely cannot have the same effect - WET is not DRY and WRONG is not RIGHT.

BD

Because that would mean the creditor would win BOTH ways - either by staying within the rules - or by going outside the rules (without any penalty whatsoever).

Two opposites surely cannot have the same effect - WET is not DRY and WRONG is not RIGHT.

BD

So the creditor is not entitled to recover his money?

And really as said woodchester was a hire agreement the sums due where not actual they were futre earnings from the contract. These could only be claimed after the DN had been effectivley served and the court could then enforce the ageement for losses.

WHen the default was found to be innafective the creditor could not claim them, and when the arrears where paid they where no longer due because the acount was upto date.

THis is a loan agreement even when the arrears are paid the ballance of the liabilities are still there, whether they are paid of as per the contract or paid off immediatly they will have to be paid.

Peter

in PH's case the contract was NOT terminated 'on the back of a DN faulty or not'

(the creditor could not have relied upon the faulty DN as Harrison has recently confirmed)

It was terminated by the creditor of their own free will. They refused to allow PH to repay teh loan as per contract, they withdrew her right to repay over another 3 or so years.

That termination was stated as being a fundamental breach of contract by PH

That termination was effective - there is no argument about that.

The argument is about what rights teh creditor had at the time of their breach of contract (termination). Simple as that.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks