• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help - Tbi Financial Services !!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The DN could well be defective unless it was posted 1st class and they can prove it.

26th Nov 09 was a Thurs & postage is deemed to take 2 working days 1st class and 4 working days 2nd class... so if it was 2nd class you could not have received it before Wed 2nd Dec add 14 days to remedy and the remedy date should be 16th Dec 09. It would be 2 days short.

SCHEDULE 2

FORM OF DEFAULT NOTICE BEFORE A CREDITOR OR OWNER CAN BECOME ENTITLED, BY REASON OF ANY BREACH BY THE

DEBTOR OR HIRER OF A REGULATED AGREEEMENT, TO TERMINATE THE AGREEMENT, DEMAND EARLIER PAYMENT OF ANY

SUM, RECOVER POSSESSION OF ANY GOODS OR LAND, TREAT ANY RIGHT CONFERRED ON THE DEBTOR OR HIRER BY THE

AGREEMENT AS TERMINATED, RESTRICTED OR DEFERRED OR ENFORCE ANY SECURITY

Regulation 2(2)

Details of agreement

A description of the agreement sufficient to identify it.

Parties to agreement

(1) The name and a postal address of the creditor or owner.

(2) The name and postal address of the debtor or hirer.

Details of breach of agreement and action required to remedy, or pay compensation for, the breach

A specification of:--

(a) the provision of the agreement alleged to have been breached; and

(b) the nature of the alleged breach of the agreement, specifying clearly the matters complained of; and either

© if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date, being a date [not less than

fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which that action is to be taken; or

(d) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach and

the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which it is to be paid.

relevant case law is this too...

DEFAULT NOTICE

The Need for a Default notice

• Notwithstanding the above, it is also drawn to the courts attention that no default notice required by s87 (1) Consumer Credit act 1974 has been attached to the petition.

• It is denied that any Default Notice in the prescribed format was ever received and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that said document in the prescribed format was delivered to the defendant

• Notwithstanding the above points, I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

• Service of a default notice is a statutory requirement as laid out in sections 87,88 and 89 Consumer Credit Act 1974. Section 87 makes it clear that a default notice must be served before a creditor can seek to terminate the agreement or demand repayment of sums due to a breach of the agreement. therefore without a valid default notice, I suggest the claimants case falls flat and cannot proceed and to do so is clearly contrary to the Consumer Credit Act 1974

• Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119

Nicked from another post, but covers all the points for a Default Notice

Guest Cartaphilus

No wish to intrude as you are getting expert help but part of the reason I looked for the address of that solicitor (and couldn't find immediately or as you would think you would on Google anyway) was because I wondered if it would even be valid if it wasn't even sent from a 'genuine' address?

It is invalid for these reasons alone;

Also there's these little details they've omitted;

Parties to agreement

Finally, there's the little matter of the dates if it was sent 2nd class.

Edited by cerberusalert

Guest Cartaphilus

Apart from those, yes. And the date it was sent, why I went to look for the address. But surely if no one can find the address - unless I am looking in the wrong places, but there again I put the whole address into google along with name - then how would that make such a thing even legal let alone a valid DN?

Name: TBI Financial Services Ltd

Also Known As: TBI Ltd, TBI Limited, TBI Debt Collectors, TBI Reading, TBI Financial Ltd Reading, etc.

Address: 1st Floor The Robert Cort Building, Elgar Road South, Reading RG2 0DL

Telephone: 0118 9313800

Fax: 0118 9752296

Email: edgarktbi@aol.com is the email address given in DBSG. They use an AOL account: how's that for a great corporate image!!!

Extra Data: There doesn't appear to be any information on the operations of this lot, though they are mentioned in the consumer forums as being debt collectors for HFC (GM) credit cards.

Another odd thing, in their letter they state that 'HFC BANK sold, and assigned all their rights title and interest' on the 22nd Nov '07 yet miraculously HFC also served a DN two years later on 26th Nov '09 on an a/c they did not own. :rolleyes:

Company Profile Report (CPR)

Commercial Debt Management

Company Name: T.B.I. FINANCIAL SERVICES LTD.

Previous Name(s): NO PREVIOUS NAME HAS BEEN RECORDED DURING THE LAST 20 YEARS

Registered Number: 02916402

Registered Office: 1ST FLOOR

THE ROBERT CORT BUILDING

ELGAR ROAD SOUTH

READING

RG2 0DL

Incorporation Date: 07/04/1994

Country Of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Accounting Reference Date: 30/04

Last Accounts Made Up To: 30/04/2009

Next Accounts Due: 31/01/2011

Last Annual Return: 24/03/2010

Next Annual Return Due: 21/04/2011

Company Status: Active

Type of Accounts: FULL Accounts

Nature Of Business: 6523 - Other financial intermediation

Filing History

25/03/2010 24/03/10 FULL LIST

25/03/10 STATEMENT OF CAPITAL;GBP 30

25/03/2010 DIRECTOR'S CHANGE OF PARTICULARS / DAVID FRANK DONALDSON JONES / 25/03/2010

25/03/2010 DIRECTOR'S CHANGE OF PARTICULARS / KEVIN HUGH EDGAR / 25/03/2010

10/08/2009 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/09

27/03/2009 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/09; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

25/09/2008 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/08

04/04/2008 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/08; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

21/08/2007 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/07

27/03/2007 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/07; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

05/01/2007 DECLARATION OF SATISFACTION OF MORTGAGE/CHARGE

20/11/2006 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/06

19/09/2006 SECRETARY'S PARTICULARS CHANGED;DIRECTOR'S PARTICULARS CHANGED

27/03/2006 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/06; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

24/03/2006 DIRECTOR'S PARTICULARS CHANGED

21/07/2005 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/05

30/03/2005 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/05; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

08/07/2004 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/04

30/03/2004 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/04; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

18/07/2003 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/03

28/03/2003 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/03; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

12/08/2002 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/02

11/06/2002 AUDITOR'S RESIGNATION

02/04/2002 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/02; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

DIRECTOR'S PARTICULARS CHANGED

06/11/2001 FULL ACCOUNTS MADE UP TO 30/04/01

05/04/2001 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/01; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

16/11/2000 DIRECTOR RESIGNED

10/08/2000 ACCOUNTS FOR 'SMALL' CO. MADE UP TO 30/04/00

13/04/2000 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/00; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

SECRETARY'S PARTICULARS CHANGED;DIRECTOR'S PARTICULARS CHANGED

19/08/1999 ACCOUNTS FOR 'SMALL' CO. MADE UP TO 30/04/99

23/06/1999 DIRECTOR RESIGNED

21/05/1999 NEW DIRECTOR APPOINTED

21/04/1999 P.O.S 30 £1 SH 06/04/99

21/04/1999 £ IC 60/30

06/04/99

£ SR 30@1=30

01/04/1999 RETURN MADE UP TO 24/03/99; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

31/03/1999 DIRECTOR RESIGNED

31/03/1999 NEW DIRECTOR APPOINTED

09/09/1998 NEW DIRECTOR APPOINTED

31/07/1998 ACCOUNTS FOR 'SMALL' CO. MADE UP TO 30/04/98

14/04/1998 RETURN MADE UP TO 07/04/98; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

28/08/1997 ACCOUNTS FOR 'SMALL' CO. MADE UP TO 30/04/97

27/05/1997 RETURN MADE UP TO 07/04/97; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

09/01/1997 PARTICULARS OF MORTGAGE/CHARGE

21/11/1996 ACCOUNTS FOR 'SMALL' CO. MADE UP TO 30/04/96

31/03/1996 RETURN MADE UP TO 07/04/96; NO CHANGE OF MEMBERS

15/03/1996 DECLARATION OF SATISFACTION OF MORTGAGE/CHARGE

11/08/1995 ACCOUNTS FOR 'SMALL' CO. MADE UP TO 30/04/95

27/04/1995 RETURN MADE UP TO 07/04/95; FULL LIST OF MEMBERS

21/12/1994 NEW DIRECTOR APPOINTED

25/05/1994 REGISTERED OFFICE CHANGED ON 25/05/94 FROM:

G OFFICE CHANGED 25/05/94

10 MALDON CLOSE

WESTCOTE ROAD

READING

BERKS RG3 2DH

12/05/1994 PARTICULARS OF MORTGAGE/CHARGE

11/05/1994 PARTICULARS OF MORTGAGE/CHARGE

15/04/1994 SECRETARY RESIGNED

07/04/1994 INCORPORATION DOCUMENTS

CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION

STATEMENT OF DIRECTORS & REGISTERED OFFICE

DECLARATION OF COMPLIANCE

MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION

ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION

Mortgages

No. Mortgage Charges: 3

Mortgage Charges Outstanding: 1

Mortgage Charges Part Satisfied: 0

Mortgage Charges Satisfied: 2

Charge No: 3

Creation Date: 03/01/1997

Satisfied: Outstanding

Description: DEBENTURE

Person(s) Entitled To Charge: THE GOVERNOR AND COMPANY OF THE BANK OF SCOTLAND

Find a solicitor Details:

JONES, DAVID FRANK DONALDSON - Employee

ID: 81461

Admission Date: 01/07/1980

Higher Rights of Audience: No

Registered Foreign Lawyer: No

Registered European Lawyer: No

Exempt European Lawyer: No

Insolvency Practitioner: No

Address: T B I FINANCIAL SERVICES LTD

1st floor

The Robert Cort Building

READING

BERKSHIRE

RG2 0DL

ENGLAND

Telephone Number: 0118 931 3800

Areas of law:

Business affairs

Civil litigation

Debt and money advice

Find a solicitor Details:

BIRCH, LOUISE - Assistant

ID: 314114

Admission Date: 01/04/2008

Higher Rights of Audience: No

Registered Foreign Lawyer: No

Registered European Lawyer: No

Exempt European Lawyer: No

Insolvency Practitioner: No

Address: T B I FINANCIAL SERVICES LTD

1st floor

The Robert Cort Building

READING

BERKSHIRE

RG2 0DL

ENGLAND

Telephone Number: 0118 931 3800

Areas of law:

Business affairs

Civil litigation

Debt and money advice

Personal injury

So we have a debt collection company called TBI Financial Services Ltd who's director is called JONES, DAVID FRANK DONALDSON who employs a solicitor called JONES, DAVID FRANK DONALDSON according to details provided by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority. TBI Financial Services Ltd send a letter demanding payment from a solicitors firm called David Jones Solicitors who are not a firm registered with the SRA or Companies House enclosing a defective default notice which they claim was issued by the original creditor dated 26th Nov '09 yet by their own admission 'HFC BANK sold, and assigned all their rights title and interest' on the 22nd Nov '07 two years previously.

Edited by cerberusalert

so the default notice is invalid???

So we have a debt collection company called TBI Financial Services Ltd who's director is called JONES, DAVID FRANK DONALDSON who employs a solicitor called JONES, DAVID FRANK DONALDSON according to details provided by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority. TBI Financial Services Ltd send a letter demanding payment from a solicitors firm called David Jones Solicitors who are not a firm registered with the SRA or Companies House enclosing a defective default notice which they claim was issued by the original creditor dated 26th Nov '09 yet by their own admission 'HFC BANK sold, and assigned all their rights title and interest' on the 22nd Nov '07 two years previously.

Yes, this seems extremely dodgy doesnt it.

In addition to what Cerb has posted, I am assuming you have not received a Notice of Assignment from TBI. ?

My intial thoughts are to respond to the letter as follows:

Dear Sirs

Their Ref No:

I acknowledge no debt to any company you claim to represent

I am in receipt of your letter dated (DATE OF LETTER).

You claim that your client, T.B.I. Financial Services Ltd are the assignees of an account from HFC Bank Plc and my response is as follows:

a) I have no knowledge of any outstanding debt with HFC Bank Ltd

b) At no time have I been advised of any assignment of any account to your client.

Your client has already been advised by me that I have no knowledge of any outstanding account they are attempting to collect on and enclose a copy of my letter dated (DATE YOU SENT THE PROVE IT LETTER ).

Should I hear from either yourselves or your client again on this matter, I will be making an official complaint to the Office of Fair Trading in respect of your client and to the Solicitor's Regulation Authority in respect of you.

Please be aware that any litigation action you take will be defended vigorously.

Yours faithfully

Enclosed

I will ask one or two other CAGers to pop in and see if they have anything to add.

Edited by citizenB
  • Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Also, one of the site team has posted 2 thread links for you to have a look at.

TBI Financial Services **WON IN COURT** - Page 3‎ - 20 posts - 4 Sep 2008

TBI Financial Services **WON IN COURT**‎ - 20 posts - 15 Jun 2007

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks so much for your help so far on this guys - its brilliant .... So my next course of action would be to send a recorded delivery letter outlining that the default notice is invalid/defective for the reason that the following details are missing as per guidelines set out by s87 (1) Consumer Credit act 1974

Details of agreement

Parties to agreement

Also pointing out that the default notice did not give me 14 days notice and that they claim the default notice was issued from the original creditor dated 26nov 09 even though by your own admission 'HFC BANK sold, and assigned all their rights title and interest

link3.gif' on the 22nd Nov 07 - two years previously.

Moreover as they have issued a defective default notice the alleged debt becomes unrecoverable .

Am i correct ?? Also should I point out the interest rate variation, the additional 275 added etc or just leave that out and concentrate in the defective default notice

CHEERS JAY

.... So my next course of action would be to send a recorded delivery letter outlining that the default notice is invalid/defective ....

Whoa!!

That wouldn't be my next step, talljay. I would send the letter CB has posted above - much more appropriate. :)

Let them take further steps (if they dare!) before you go firing off defensive letters re. DNs & CCA etc. The more you engage with these people, the more you get drawn in. Leave it nice & simple. You've denied knowledge of the debt, it's up to them to provide proof if they want to take it further.

Hopefully you will have seen them off, if not you have all the ammo you need to fully defend this in court & you can do it on behalf of your father. Just make sure he sends you anything at all to do with the issue without delay.

BTW if he is being harassed with phone calls etc.from TBI there are ways to stop it. If he isn't make sure that neither you nor he contact them by phone - keep it all in writing.

• Haha 1

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

It is not your job to inform this creditor of any failings with the paperwork because it is generally meaningless outside of the court room.

Put them to strict proof of the debt, deny ownership etc.

surely they can prove ownership of the debt as they have a signed CCA - would it not be better to settle the matter out of court by proving to them that would have no case inside of a court room and therfore would be wasting their time as they would lose????

... would it not be better to settle the matter out of court by proving to them that would have no case inside of a court room and therfore would be wasting their time as they would lose????

:eek: Do you think they would listen???!

If you do, you have obviously not been reading this forum.

Just because they have a signed agreement does not mean they have any legal entitlement to it or that it is legally enforceable.

You have already stated that there seem to be unexplained sums attributed to the account so how easy is it going to be to prove how much (if anything!) is owed. And TBI won't tell you, they'll hang out for as much as they can string you along for.

Send CB's letter, do as VJ says & do not acknowledge the debt under any circumstances or you will face the consequences!

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.