Does it cost to pay off a loan 5 months early?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there. I have 5 months left to pay on my loan, and since its just under £500 I thought I would pay it off early. But I wanted to find out first if there are hidden fees or ghastly "administration" costs if I chose to do that. I just want to know if its worth my while or would I just be better keeping the money in the bank and pay it off month by month. Advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

There is a thing called Rule of 78 which goes something like:

(M(M+1/n(n+1))k

In which n is the total number of instalments, m is the number of remaining instalments to be paid, and K is the interest

So, if you loan was for 12 months and 5 months remain and interest was £100 you would have:

(30/156)*100 = 19.20

So, as you can see the interest rebate is relatively low.

Sorry I should have explained that the reason is on day one interest is charged on £500 but on the last month it is the remaining fraction of £500. Interest on a big number is clearly far more than interest on a small number. You pay equal instalments and so on month 1 most of what you pay is interest and only a small amount is capital, but on the last month most is capital and only a little is interest.

I think the OP was asking about early redemption charges as opposed to interest rebate.

I would have thought that this would depend on the individual contract.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!