style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When the kids were at home we used to get sacks of tatties from one of the local farms, but we don't use enough to justify them, now.

What we do now is get a small sack from Morrisons, at £3.00. That is sufficient for us.

Not quite as cheap as the 25kG one (value-wise) but a lot cheaper than bags or loose.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

and when it gets near the end of the bag , dont throw them away etc , boil and mash them , use potato scoop when cold , put on a tray and freeze, always handy when you need mash on the quick etc, or cut in chips / fritters etc part fry and freeze

when the guvnor here ( wife ) does mash , she does them in the pressure cooker ( best way to cook spuds ) she does full pan full , then what not used is done as in above, she then used the frozen for things like sheps' pie etc,

also we always do large joints of beef / lamb etc, and slice it , ( we bought a good food slicer years ago ) and any not used is put in plastic bags and frozen, handy for sarnies etc or beef / lamb in gravy, just take from freezer and just put in fridge overnight and its defrosted enough for next day etc, or get a defrosting plate, does chops etc from freezer in under 30 mins

tip for those that like sweede add a few carrots with the sweede, brings the flavour out, and any left over done as above ( also great if done in a pressure cooker )

Rooster get a neighbour / member of family to share the big bag, as we do with the other 2 of our mates sheba.dog and fivenecks ( them 2 rouges on the halogen thread , lol )

Edited by kiptower

• 1 year later...

When I waqs a teenager on Income Support some 20 years ago I was signed off incorrectly for a month due to sickness. Practically all I could afford was a sack of spuds! It lasted me three weeks. Mashed, roasted, boiled, au-gratin, chips. With bag of frozen peas and jar of Bisto that was pretty much all I ate. Probably not to be recommended long term, but if times are seriously desperate it'll do. And honestly, I never got fed up with them.

• 4 months later...
very easy to grow your own these days as well....dont need a big garden or plot you could just grow them in tubs or sacks and they taste so much better.

Agree totally. I have about 40 plants growing in a plot about 8' by 6'. Put them in on Good Friday. I'll grow more than I can eat, so I share them around people I know. Everyone loves new potatoes.

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

My sister now gets her fruit and veg from the people who have allotments at the back of her place, she feeds them tea and cake in return! She gets some unusual veg and spud types.

Does anyone know of an indoor variety of spuds, I've got a nice large pot but no garden.... suggestions for veg for it would be welcome, once grew some rhubarb on a sunny windowsill.

Hi,

Do you have a conservatory or somewhere that gets lots of sun? If so, maybe some tomatoes. I've not come across spuds for indoor growth (me thinks they may need too much water) but I stand to be corrected.

Jeremy

Jeremy

I have a sunny window area, no conservatory otherwise I would have more stuff growing, got herbs on the kitchen windowsill, thyme and mint okay, coriander seems to die quickly, basil and other stuff not bad.

Did think of tomatoes, I can get a dwarf bush variety from a friend and see if they grow.. Would be quite interesting experiment. Existing rubber plant in pot has died so going to empty it out, refill it and start again... is in very large green earthenware pot about height of coffee table.

I have a sunny window area, no conservatory otherwise I would have more stuff growing, got herbs on the kitchen windowsill, thyme and mint okay, coriander seems to die quickly, basil and other stuff not bad.

Did think of tomatoes, I can get a dwarf bush variety from a friend and see if they grow.. Would be quite interesting experiment. Existing rubber plant in pot has died so going to empty it out, refill it and start again... is in very large green earthenware pot about height of coffee table.

If you like houseplants you could try cacti. I grow them in my greenhouse, and some of the flowers are amazing. We're going off thread here - look out for a telling off from the admins!

Jeremy

Cacti are actually 'related' to spuds - or some of them are, I had loads of mini cacti as a kid.

My sister is bringing some pepper plants round, they might grow in the tub in the window area.

Hiya,

Hope they grow for you. Can't beat new potatoes in loads of (real) butter, can you?

I have loads of cacti, and I made a nice little desert garden for my conservatory.

Jeremy