• Tweets

• Hi everyone, I have an update on my case that I’d like to share with you all.  so after submitting 371 pages in my bundle, a witness statement and skeleton argument for my court case due to take place in Manchester on June 21st I got an email from my litigator stating that hmrc have pulled out and the case is now closed!    this is the body of the letter….. This letter, which is copied to the Appellant, pursuant to Rule 17 of the Tribunal Procedure (First-tier Tribunal) (Tax Chamber) Rules 2009, the Respondents gives notice to the Tribunal of their intention to not defend the above appeal.   The Respondents respectfully invite the Tribunal to allow the appeal and close its file. In lieu of the above the Respondents would respectfully ask the Tribunal to vacate the hearing scheduled for Friday 21 June 2024. We would accordingly invite the Tribunal to close its file. Obviously this is extremely good news which hasn’t sunk in that after 3 years of fighting it is over.    I do have a further fight on my hands in that the Group Action I had joined with Independent Tax that had been disbanded in November last year and I chose not to continue with them. They are trying to bill me over 5k for the work they did under that Group Action which is ludicrous bearing in mind the whole point in joining was that it would keep the cost to a minimum as it would be shared between us all. They had asked if I wanted to continue to have them represent me on an individual level which I declined, if I hadn’t, goodness knows what they would have been trying to charge me now. 
    • President Ruto says Kenyans pay less tax than citizens in some other African countries.View the full article
    • As PM Sunak really showed his true colours at the D Day Commemorations by doing what? Oh I am the British PM lets just leave early I have better things to do and as he is called out on disrespecting all those veterans that served our country for the freedoms we have today he gives a groveling apology to little to late. He knew about this event for a long time and also knew that this is probably the last D Day Commemoration due to the age of those Veterans who gave so much for there countries freedom. Even on the day of the D Day Commemoration he still could have changed his plans As PM and stayed but choose not to showing such DISRESPECT to those Veterans, those that lost there lives and Families for the Freedoms we have today Being a Veteran myself I have never known a PM to show such disrespect what the hell was he thinking SHAME ON YOU PM SUNAK  
    • Thanks. We'll try to help over the weekend. If the hearing is on 05/07 then it's 90% sure that the deadline for filing your WS is 21/06.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Crash V Barclays *** WON ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After reading through everything I should have on this site (I hope), I spent most of today looking through my filing. I have most of my statements going back to as far as 1997. Some are missing but I will request those in a SAR to Barclays as of Monday. From Jan 98 to Jun 91 my bank charges and interest are over £250 and that's just one account. I'm a bit confused about the interest as I've literally noted down what I was charged in the same statement but will work the breakdown out at a later stage.

I've had a play around with the Complex Bank S/S but for some reason even if I put in all the figures, it doesn't work out my interest...any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? And is this s/s what I need to send initially with my prelim Letter Approach for Repayment?

Thanks for such a fab forum and hats off to all the contributors!

Crash

• Haha 2

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, will do!

Crash

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, received standard response from Peter Townsend @ Barclays, with microfiche rollox for 1999-2000. They also sent both hubby and my the letters to my property (previous) address which should have only been for my hubby's closed account (tut!)

As it is, 2000 is the only year I have some missing statements for in the p/work I have kept, so I will be estimating my charges for then. I still need post-2004 stuff so will await the statements arrival.

Thing is I am soooo tempted to try and reclaim from 1998 because those were the couple of years when I was stung the most. My claim isn't huge though, probably £300? And now that B/C are getting a huge influx of claims, I suspect they will have an argument ready for the 6 yr issue already.

Any thoughts anyone?

Crash

Crash

I called Barclays today to ask them when I'd opened this account and they have advised it was in Oct 93. I asked them about the possibility of getting hold of statements from then as a recent request (my SAR) got me a response from Barclays in which they say they probably won't be able to give me anything prior to 2000 (microfiche rollox). I explained that Barclays response was a bit unclear, and can I get hold of the info prior to then, and if so how?

The lady was extremely helpful and advised that she can order those statements for me, which she has done for an additional £5 (I've paid this now but will reclaim this too!) but she did say any info prior to 12 years will have been destroyed so she can only give me statements from Jan 1994. Good enough for me... now awaiting a ton of statements in eager anticipation. So contrary to their excuses they can get hold of older info easily, although you do have to give up an additional fiver for the agro :)

Crash

Received full statements for my account from 08 Dec 93 to date (account opened Oct 93) as promised, in the form of Microfiche copies, and entries reports. Will go through it all with a highlighter to check on all charges. Very exciting! So glad I manged to get this all with mimimal hassle.

Crash

Still not received hubby's statements, but have fired off prelim to Barclays via recorded dely. for my account today. £285 in charges (from 1997) and £1561.51 in compounded interest :)

Crash

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating: Received letter from Barclays saying 'sorry, blah blah...looking into it...blah blah...whilst we endeavour to respond to you within timescales outlined in your letter (my 14 day notice prior to LBA) we cannot guarantee that we will do so, blah blah..full report in 8 weeks.'

Looks like the bog standard letter with in bit in to cover themselves over lengthier responses. My LBA will go off after 14 days nonetheless.

Crash

Ok Barclays have played ball so far on my account, but haven't sent hubby's statements, and the 40 days are over. Non-Compliance going today for his account.

Crash

• 5 weeks later...

At some point just after the 40 days they sent OH a note to say 'pick up docs from branch' which he did, so his LBA included latest figures. Fired that off on the 23rd.

They offered me £100 which I ignored and filed N1 form yesterday for almost £2200;

Sent same offer of £100 to OH today for which a rejection is going out of the door today. They seem to be really dragging it out so am happy to sit and wait.

Crash

• 3 weeks later...

Given my small (but significant to me) first win against Barclaycard, I've called them up to ask them to settle my Bank claim. They said they can't so I've emailed them this:

Dear Temilope (Fatogun),

Further to my conversation with you earlier, I will be sending you the letter accepting your full settlement payment for my Claim Ref: xxxxxx for £134.39 without any terms attached. I will inform the court that the claim is discontinued, once I have received payment from you.

May I also bring to your attention my other court claim with you: Ref: xxxxxx, issued at Aylesbury County Court, for £2195.77 plus court costs and daily interest until the date of judgment or when the case is settled. I also mentioned this claim in my conversation to you as it was deemed served on 04 November 2006.

I would like to remind you that the court and indeed I, do not wish to have our time wasted by needless delays and insufficient offers. I will be taking this claim all the way to court, and you will have seen from the documents you received in support of my Barclaycard claim for my hearing, that I have not entered into this claim lightly either. You will be receiving a similar bundle should the case be issued with a hearing date.

I am well aware that you have been settling such claims before they reach a hearing, purely because, as you put it, you 'recognise the sum that is at issue between us is relatively modest and as such, is not cost effective for either party to take this matter to trial'.

With this in mind I would ask you to consider settling my Barclays Bank claim swiftly to avoid unncessary to-ing and fro-ing, for the sake of fulfilling protocol in your department, which will ultimately end up in you offering to settle before the hearing is through anyway.

I would ask you to consider this option very carefully. If you settle this claim within the next 7 days, I am willing to waive the daily accruing interest which is mounting as we speak.

Otherwise I will, and hope, to see you in court.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs Crash

cc: Aylesbury County Court

Let's hope it makes some waves :)

Crash

• 2 weeks later...

Called them today to say what's happening as I could have filed for judgment on you on the 3rd...they've filed a defence on the 2nd..haha!

Asked Barclays to fax me a copy, which they haven't as yet, but not to worry, I can't wait to send them a gazillion paged court bundle which will no doubt prompt them to settle around when/before a hearing date is given.

Crash

• 2 weeks later...

Received AQ and pile of tosh defence (usual rubbish, denial, denial, limitations clause, contradictory info) on the 7th...held back sending the AQ until payday...fired the AQ off yesterday, so it's just more waiting now. I am just waiting for a hearing date now, then I'll call them to settle out of court, which they may well do, otherwise we'll just see.

Crash

• 3 weeks later...

Called the courts today to find out what was happening. Barclays haven't sent in their AQ, so the claim is now before a judge. I rung Barclays to find out what they're up to and spoke to Temi again. She said she's sure it's been sent, but just not reached them...and yes, they posted the AQ on the 27th. I said fine, and that I'd be in contact again, once a court date is issued.

Crash

• 2 weeks later...

Court date received for 21st Feb, for half hour hearing. I know it's early days but rung Temi back anyway...she laughed when I told her who I was/claim number as she probably knows who I am by now (!) I said I've now received the court date, have you? She said probably, but its not been updated. I simply asked 'are you in a position to settle in full yet?' She said 'you probably know the process by now, we have to verify the charges to see if they add up. If they do/don't we'll still be in touch'. So I said, 'ok we wait then'. She took my mobile number and that was it.

I knew that would be the case but there's nothing like an early morning shake up call :)

Crash

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Crash any update ? I too have a court date with them on the 21st Feb. I have sent my bundle in and I think they have until today to submit theirs to the courts (and us) do you know of anyone who has actually received a bundle from them ?

They have ignored all my letters and not returned the two phone calls I have made. Might give them another call on Monday if nothing arrives or should I just sit tight? What are you going to do ?

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

Sorry Lizzy, been a bit pants at updating this thread...sent my bundle off on Monday via TNT to hit their desks yesterday. Have been speaking to Anthony Lombardi on a number of occasions to try and settle (as he promised to speak to me but kept fobbing me off) so now I've sent them a letter reminding them that I've included approx £450 in further expenses (research/postage/docs) to my bundle, as a litigant in person.

Now I'm just gonna leave it, and will wait for him to call...only 14 days to go till court so can't be that long now! When he calls I won't settle for anything except the full amount, (plus expenses at a big push, depending on who presses hard enough) on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour (i.e. forcing litigation for something they have no intention of seeing through in court)

Tick tock.

Crash

Well I was going to ask for charges as well but I thought I would have to ask the judge at the time because as yet Barclays have not offered to settle so who knows if I will win (of course I will). Any advice about these charges, can I mention them if they call me and make an offer ?

My concern is if I go to court and they don't turn up I won't be able to ask anyone for them.

I had a good read of Bong's thread and she/he got costs back. Lets face it until the court bundle I would have settled on the full amount but now after all that work, time, effort, ink and paper etc I/we deserve it.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

Lizzy it was Bong's thread and some advice from other members that inspired me to claim for the 'inconvenience' of having to do the bundle and research for the hearing, given that we don't know whether they will settle before or not. Obviously we have a big inkling, but still, we can't take any chances and have had to do all this extra work. So I submitted a 'Litigant in Persons' cost sheet behind my schedule of charges in the bundle...that's gone to Barclays, and I've sent them a letter (again, inspired by Bong, with help from Livelylad) to say I have sent these extra cost and am now looking at the full amount of xxxx to discontinue this claim.

That is what I intend to tell him when he calls too.

Crash

Thanks for that. Do you have a link to the letter sent please? I guess I can send it now to be linked to my bundle, it won't be too late will it? A litigant in person ???? is that (as nicely as possible) a person who has no idea what they are doing ?

Sorry to be thick

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Thanks for that. Do you have a link to the letter sent please? I guess I can send it now to be linked to my bundle, it won't be too late will it? A litigant in person ???? is that (as nicely as possible) a person who has no idea what they are doing ?

Sorry to be thick

Sorry Lizzy, I seem to have missed this (I do that lately!) Here's bong's excellent thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bcard-woolwich-successes/30300-bong-barclaycard-10.html#post490515

Crash

Right, a lot of excitement today...Mr Lombardi called me to discuss settlement. At first he waffled a lot about how I could only claim post 6 yrs because of the limitations act, how my interest was too high, how my litigations costs weren't applicable. I listened carefully then gave my arguments to his points. He umm'd and ah'd and mostly said 'I can't comment on that'. He also said they would make me a very good offer (I'll be the judge of that) and in the situation where it went to court and the judge ruled say £14 as a reasonable figure, I would lose the difference and any offer already on the table. I replied saying I would love for that to happen because even though it can't set a precendent in SCC it will affect a hell of a lot of claims. Again he said 'I can't comment'. I also said if they don't pay me my lit. costs, I intend to send them to the judge to ask him to consider them, given that we only have about 9 days till the hearing. He fidgeted and said well we'd like to be reasonable and can discuss that as a separate issue. He finished by saying he would go away and discuss my case some more and come back with an offer by the end of the day.

Before he ended the call I reminded him that I would only settle in full. I added that I know as well as he does that they have settled every case out of court, calling them a 'modest' amount, and said that I am a member of CAG so I see all that is happening with hundreds of claims (!) I also reminded him that they've recently settled a Barclaycard claim of mine in full, which I submitted with exactly the same 'protocol'. Again he couldn't comment because the person who agreed to pay my claim - Temi, has left the company.

He called me back later in the day apologising and saying that he needed more time to discuss the case with his 'supers' since they didn't know I'd had a similar case settled before. He has advised me he will call me on Thursday with an offer. I simply said I look forward to it :)

When he calls again I will remind him that I have yet to see a bundle from them...from what I can only deduce that they've already decided to settle out of court :D

Crash

Oooh Sand, maybe we'll have a double celebration then :) Good luck on yours too, let me know how it goes!

Crash