• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I Just want our money back!!

xxxNikkixxx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6439 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

STAGE ONE: Data Access Request. (They have 40 days to comply. If they do not comply, report them). STICK TO YOUR DEADLINES

STAGE TWO: Get enough paperwork to give postman a hernia. What you want is copies of ALL letters relating to your account, AND statements for the last SIX years. (Make sure you get these, the rest of the paperwork they send you, you will be unable to make any sense of).

STAGE THREE: Add up ALL the times they've charged you for sending you a letter. These are for unpaid direct debits, unpaid cheques etc. DO NOT INCLUDE INTEREST CALCULATIONS AT THIS STAGE

STAGE FOUR: Send preliminary request for repayment, enclosing schedule of charges you are claiming. (14 day deadline on this one). If they try to fob you off, write back and remind them their 14 days is running out. DO NOT phone them, DO NOT enter into conversation with them. If they offer you anything other than the full amount, accept it. BUT ONLY as an interim payment against the full amount.

STAGE FIVE: After 14 days, send L.B.A (Letter Before Action). (14 days deadline on this one too).

STAGE SIX: If you hear nothing back after this time, TAKE 'EM TO COURT........THIS IS WHEN YOU ADD INTEREST CHARGES TO THE TOTAL AMOUNT YOU ARE CLAIMING BACK

All letter templates can be found in the library, plus spreadsheet programs. EVERYTHING you need to know to get your money back can be found on the boards, or in the FAQ's. There are hundreds of people on here who can help you, BUT ONLY if you are prepared to help yourselves.

I've noticed that people are asking the same questions time and time again, BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T READ THE FAQ'S. Read the boards. There are people on here that are at every stage of the process.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Druid, I've been reading the boards for weeks plucking up the courage to start action myself lol, I think I'm gonna send another letter just to remind them that its still a SAR, I still want statements AND letters and that they only have so many days left of a 40 day deadline.

:pNikki:p

22/8/06 Subject Access Request sent to Barclays

21/9/06 Statements here.

22/9/06 Sent request for repayment of charges. £2,380 :-o

19/10/06 LBA sent

19/10/06 Barclays send offer, Nikki sends thanks but no thanks letter

FAQs :::::::::::::::::::::::::- PLEASE READ THESE FIRST!!! -::::::::::::::::::: Read these, they really do help!

Just looking online at a bank statement (looking for charges lol) and I've just seen that Barclays have taken out debit comission! 1 is for £10 and one is for £6-80! Does anyone know what this is, I've never seen it on any other statements.

Thanks

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

FAQs :::::::::::::::::::::::::- PLEASE READ THESE FIRST!!! -::::::::::::::::::: Read these, they really do help!

Do either of you do any money transfers overseas? Do either of you pay bills to overseas companies over the internet, for example, online gaming companies in the US of A.? The bank will pay in the currancy of that country, and charge commission for doing it. But, unless the amounts you are paying are quite substantial, the amount you have been deducted would appear a bit steep. I would phone your bank branch up and ask them to explain it. If the answer you get does not make any sense to you whatsoever, just add it to the amount you claim back when you take the b******s to court. Good luck.

hi ya nikki i have just noticed that this morning they have taken 10.00 and 4.80 and called it commission. I have never seen this before either. must admit its got me confused too

Just claim for it anyway, thats what I'm going to do, Its just more money they are taking out of our accounts without letting us know first!

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

Do either of you do any money transfers overseas? Do either of you pay bills to overseas companies over the internet, for example, online gaming companies in the US of A.? The bank will pay in the currancy of that country, and charge commission for doing it. But, unless the amounts you are paying are quite substantial, the amount you have been deducted would appear a bit steep. I would phone your bank branch up and ask them to explain it. If the answer you get does not make any sense to you whatsoever, just add it to the amount you claim back when you take the b******s to court. Good luck.

Thanks Druid, I've no idea at all what it is we dont pay anything at all overseas so all I can assume is its Barclays taking more money from us and finding another name for it to justify them taking it! I will be claiming it back.:)

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/16524-mamma-caz-barclays-help.html

check out this thread, seems someone else has these fee's as well, perhaps it may give you some info on with this commison is!

Good luck

Sharon

Thanks for that Sharon, maybe they're just taking a little off of all of us to help them pay all these claims back lol

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxx SORT CODE: xxxxxx

Dear Mr Townsend

Thank you for your letter of 24th August regarding my Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter.

I would like to remind you that irrespective of the return of my £10 you are still under obligation to send me the data within the maximum time period specified under the Data Protection Act 1998, I will accept copy statements or a computer printout of all data held by you. I would also like copies of all letters and all other correspondence.

My original request for information was made on 22nd August and consequently you have 30 days left to comply.

I look forward to your reply

Sent on the 2nd September

More waiting! :|

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

A couple of points:-

You can't assume that "commission" equates to "unlawful", see the post I've just added to the Mamma-Caz V Barclays thread.

Also, I've had the same experience of a sudden interest in my overdraft being £7 (yes SEVEN pounds!!) over it's limit - the first such call I've ever had in more than four decades of banking with Barclays. I think they're trying to be intimidating - but I just find it amising. (see my thread Victim no more v B B Barclays)

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

A couple of points:-

You can't assume that "commission" equates to "unlawful", see the post I've just added to the Mamma-Caz V Barclays thread.

Also, I've had the same experience of a sudden interest in my overdraft being £7 (yes SEVEN pounds!!) over it's limit - the first such call I've ever had in more than four decades of banking with Barclays. I think they're trying to be intimidating - but I just find it amising. (see my thread Victim no more v B B Barclays)

I actually just posted on mamma caz's thread lol, re-checked my statement online and both debit comissions had changed. ! is now overdraft protection and the other is an account fee and I cant claim either of them back!

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

Think I've Made my first cock up!! I didn't realise I had to send another cheque with my last letter :-(

Recieved this from P Townsend this morning

DATA PROTECTION ACT

I refer to your letter 1 september.

Your above letter appears to reguest information not sought in the previous letter of 33 August.

The bank has confirmed that duplicate statements are in course of preperation and these will be provided without charge.

If you now require further information, the bank is entirely willing to supply the general information that should be disclosed due to the DPA. To initiate the process Barclays will require payment of a £10 fee per individual which should be provided by cheque, payable to Barclays plc, directly to this department. Upon payment of the fee(s) the relevant information will be supplied as promptly as possible.

I assume if the statements arrive now before the other stuff I can still proceed with sending my preliminary approach letter while I wait for them?

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

Just a thought, for what it's worth...

If you have enough information to proceed without missing out on any money, then my advice would be to do so.

If, on the other hand, you do need more info from them that was not in your original request, they are (legally at least) entitled to ask for the statutory fee. However, if you do decide you need to pay them, then you could make sure you get your money's worth by demanding ALL information on you covered by the Data Protection Act; that is, I believe (but I'm not a legal expert!) every piece of personally identifiable data they have on you in their files (whether computerized or not) since you opened your account.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but it seems to me that Barclays have come up with a rather devious "game plan" for dealing with SARs. A request for disclosure of information under the Data Protection Act would involve the bank in a lot of effort and would surely cost them a lot more than £10. But most customers (e.g. those of us wanting to reclaim charges) only really want STATEMENTS, and only want them for the last six years. So what Barclays seem to me to be doing is "pretending" that that's what they’ve been asked for! That's why they return the £10 - under their own rules (we know they don't take any notice of anyone else’s!) their service charge for "Copy statement (per request per account)" is only £5 for most customers, and free for platinum banking customers.

(see here Accounts & services rates & charges : Barclays Personal Banking)

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Thanks victimnomore, am I right in thinking then that I dont need copies of every letter they've ever sent me then just the statements? I thought I'd swotted up and knew everything I needed to do up to my LBA but not so sure now!

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

No statements yet but they have still got til the 2nd Oct so I'm not holding my breath for them to be here soon!! Peter Townsend tells me they are in preperation! Hows things with you how you getting on with yours now Kath?

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

i have noticed where ever this peter townsend is involved there seemes to be a delay i had no problem getting my statements it was here in just over a week. have you had any trouble getting your statements i havent had any since i put my court papers in i used to get them every 2 weeks. now the commision charge have changed to account fee and interest charge. been away they did call me while i was on holiday but i just ignored the phone it was the day they must have recieved my letter telling them to shop phoning me or i would make a formal complaint to the police for harrassment. feel free to private message me any time.

i have noticed where ever this peter townsend is involved there seemes to be a delay i had no problem getting my statements it was here in just over a week. have you had any trouble getting your statements i havent had any since i put my court papers in i used to get them every 2 weeks. now the commision charge have changed to account fee and interest charge. been away they did call me while i was on holiday but i just ignored the phone it was the day they must have recieved my letter telling them to shop phoning me or i would make a formal complaint to the police for harrassment. feel free to private message me any time.

We've always had trouble getting statements but I think that might be the post here sometimes more than barclays! I'm not that worried about them ringing because the accounts in my husbands name and he's rarely here in Barclays hours lol

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

Nikki, I spoke to Peter Townsend about my husbands account, I just got him to ring first giving permission for me to speak on his behalf, anyways after alot of messing us about Mr Townsend seemed really helpful, we asked him to send the statements through internal mail to our local branch and went with id to collect them, seems to have gotton there alot faster than waiting on him to stand up from his desk frank them and pop them in external mail!!!

He told me on the phone "they are under a pile of paperwork waiting to be posted" my reply? - "well dig down and pop them in an envelope today, I expect them in two days at my branch - lo and behold they arrived two days later, if you keep badgering him, he knows you wont go away so its easier for him just to do his job! - i know we shoouldnt have to mess around like this to get information that we are simply entitled to but anything that helps is good!

Do you have a direct Number for him by the way? If no I do!

Sharon

Thanks for that Sharon, I'll get hubby to give him a ring so we can give him a bit of a nudge, we have still got 19 days left of the 40 but I'm sure it wont hurt to remind him that we are still waiting!

The number I have for Peter Townsend is 01565 614000, is that the one?

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent

Statements arrived this morning, coffee and highlighter at the ready! Just got to see now what I can and cant claim back.

21/9/06 Statements here.

19/10/06 LBA sent